Prop Help Thor Hammer

TeresaMRoberts

So I had an Idea for a Thor hammer... Plasma glob with sound effect of thunder. I am trying to figure out how to make it work. I know I can do sound effects easy (did it with my aurora dress) But trying to figure out how to make the plasma globe. I need rectangle not round like the stores have. But i can't find much on how to fill it anything with plasma gas... Anyone got ideas were I might be directed?

Well. plasma globes are spherical for a reason. It keeps the energy moving around like lightning. In a cube it would "nest" in the corners and not really move or look very full. Plus, it is not the safest thing to walk around with. I would run EL wire around the outside in a lightning pattern and then use a controller to make it fade and flash with your audio. WAY safer and more durable for a con. Kinda looking like this sort of thing, but you know, cooler!

71T7gRTsbWL._SL1500_.jpg

I wonder how it would work if you get one of those impact-triggered sound machines and use LEDs inside tiny cracks. Might need an arduino or something to control it.

I would say:

paint the outside 'housing' with stressed accents and lots of acrylic washes. (using clear acrylic sides)

giving it a solid cover/look..

but with 'distressed' paint on the outside.. any lighting INSIDE of the hammer/housing will pass through the lighter paint/cracks..etc

also the 'ruins' could light up this way as well..

I used an Arduino to control my Aurora dress (and my Belle dress). The fabric is fiber optic and I had high power LED lights and adafruit fx board that triggered different sound effects at the change of color in the dress. So I know I can write the program for it. I just really really wanted few seconds of the plasma lights to go off. Its something I'd not see done. I think it could set my prop apart and costume over the edge. I have some other ideas to make the costume awesome but all together if I can execute my ideas how I see them in my head and I know I'll have a winner on my hands. I've seen youtube videos where physics people have filled their own globs with different kinds of gas... I haven't given up on my idea completely yet. I just had the idea last night and I have year till next years comic expo sooooo lol its in research and process mode. I might have to change my idea slightly. Or might have to go more your route with LED light. But SO MANY people use LED lights. I'm such a dork I'm always wanting to do the Next level up and trying to something new lol I really really really want to make plasma lamp work. I need to make friends with physics majors at near by colleges!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back