Prop Domain AKA the misadventures of David Brandon

Sorry to bump an old thread, but i saw he was starting to post auctions again on icollector. Soem stuff even that I was kind of interested in but passed on. Mainly because no COA just the words 'screen matched' and asking people to take that on faith. So are his items legit or dubious?
Yeah, I bid on one of the items you linked me to. I eventually was outbid, but it seems like I dodged a bullet with that. Had no idea this guy was so scummy. And I also didn't see a COA listed for any of them, which I initially found off putting.

Yeah, I bid on one of the items you linked me to. I eventually was outbid, but it seems like I dodged a bullet with that. Had no idea this guy was so scummy. And I also didn't see a COA listed for any of them, which I initially found off putting.

Remember, anyone can make a COA. It's who it's from that matters. And what matters most is provenance, which is a big bonus if you know it.

Remember, anyone can make a COA. It's who it's from that matters. And what matters most is provenance, which is a big bonus if you know it.
I can't agree more. A coa is not worth the paper it is printed on if the source is bad. Even then, you still need to do your research before you purchase. A coa in most cases is just a piece of paper that states a piece is genuine, but it doesn't proof it.

You know, it's good to know that we all owe our interest in collecting to him....I was worried that I wouldn't be able to keep doing it, without knowing the history of our hobby!
:rolleyes:

I am pretty sure he didnt stop listing. Not sure where that came from. I bought one thing from him which was a Verne Troyer lifecast with his prosthetic from a movie called Knome Alone. Little doubt it is legit. It may have been used or it may have been a back up. It is in pretty good shape though and sits on display in my office. I did place a bid on an item from Death Becomes Her but it was below the minimum but somehow I won it. I didnt follow through with it since I had no idea where I would ever have kept such a large piece. I didnt expect it would sell for below the minimum it was supposed to start at. Kinda odd. But his listings usually are. You have to go into it with the mindset that it may not be what it states it is, the pieces may just be "junk" in normal circumstances (like discarded foam muscles from superman etc) or you may get lucky with something decent.

"You have to go into it with the mindset that it may not be what it states it is, the pieces may just be "junk" in normal circumstances "

Umm.. what???

No. "we" dont need to go into this with ANY mindset. Its not our job to navigate his lies and half-truths.

its on him to be truthful and responsible for his items.

I never heard of him before but I have to say, this thread is not only informative but freaking hilarious!
I'm tempted to check out his auctions just for the audio, reading the descriptions brought Mr. Plinkett to mind. :lol:

"You have to go into it with the mindset that it may not be what it states it is, the pieces may just be "junk" in normal circumstances "

Umm.. what???

No. "we" dont need to go into this with ANY mindset. Its not our job to navigate his lies and half-truths.

its on him to be truthful and responsible for his items.

That really applies to all auctions for the most part. The people who run these things are not the be all end all as far as "proof" sometimes.
Sometimes someone on staff at the big houses is an expert on whatever medium it is.
A very good example was a recent big auction had a batsuit in it. I have no doubt the suit was not actually worn by the actor that was labelled on the inside. It was most likely made for him but wasn't actually used. But it was labelled as such. Another auction I saw had a cowl from a different film on top of a full suit being sold as complete.
I personally have something in my collection I bought from a private individual without even a whiff of a COA because I knew as soon as I saw it that it was 100 percent legitimate.
But yes it is kinda your job to decide what would be considered "junk" by a big auction house vs. someone who runs an auction clearly out of their home in the valley. Some studios "junk" may be a treasure trove to someone else. The super hero suit fragments would not make it into a big auction unless it was very significant. In some cases they were clearly scrap that the fx studio wasn't going to use that he is now auctioning. Thats all I mean.

Wow, I first found out about this guy from a video on screen used Michael Myers masks a few years ago. Always had a bad vibe about the guy.
Looks like a lot of the things in his auctions there are from ADI’s recent “moving sale.” Aka junk they hadn’t thrown away and could grab a quick buck from..

bought something way back when... Shipped loose in a rickety box which arrived damaged and bits missing... lol

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back