"PROMETHEUS" costume build.. Need some suggestions.

WBE

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
As most of you know, Sir Ridley Scott's newest Alien installment (Well, prequel) is coming out in a few months. I've been inspired to create my own sort of costume from the trailer we've seen. Obviously, it won't be too screen accurate. I just want to create something to wear to the midnight launch.

First things first, I'll be creating all armor pieces as 3D pepakura files and doing them that way. Can't spend toooo much money on this and don't really have much knowledge of modeling other than on a computer.

prometheus_movie_07.jpg

I have some questions for the RPF, though. Do any of you recommend where I could get a full plastic (maybe glass, but thats hard to work with) "Bowl" sort of helmet? I'd most likely be cutting it in half and then putting it back together with a control panel type mechanism in it. Like in this picture:

prometheus-trailer.jpg

Also, where could a fella go about getting that type skin tight leather/spandex/anything bodysuit? I'd need one to match the kind of material used in the movie but I don't even know where to start when it comes to looking for one of those.

Any help would be widely appreciated. I know this is a crazy idea to make a costume for a movie that hasn't even come out but I'm challenging myself with it.

Thanks,
Wes

Not sure about the plastic "Bowl." I haven't seen any pre-made shapes that big.
There was a post on a while ago dealing with cartoon Mr. Freeze costume that had a clear dome similar to the set up you have pictured but it wasn't as bubble shaped. You may start by searching for that and see what they used.

For the bodysuit a good start would to go with a full body wet suit and build the detail on. The material looks similar to Lycra, which many wet are made of.
Hope this helps

Cool idea good luck. I have been working on a spacesuit project for over a year and I still haven't figured out how I am going to produce the suit part. If you look at the screen caps of the trailer you will notice two different spacesuit designs. The other one may be easier to create since it doesn't have all of the colored ribbing detail. The helmet is going to be a problem if you are trying to use some aready made, since it is an unusally shape, an egg rather than a sphere.

I'm going to have a go at this as well. Finding an oblong dome for the helmet is going to be difficult, so I'm going to see about vacforming. Would be nice to know the helmet dimensions first, though.

My initial thought seeing as this is probably an original piece, you're going to have to make it, if you can find someone with a vac table it might be your best shot.
I've been tossing the idea around to do one of these as well but will go the helmet-off route.

You might be able to find the suit at an "adult bookstore" if they sell fetish clothing.

The helmet puts me in mind of the helmets in Dark Star where Dan O'Bannon came up with the idea for Alien.
Dark Star

for teh dome trying searching Ebay under clear plastic dome. or you can got a grdening Cloche ( it's plastic too) from Lee Valley. That's what I have for my Mr. Freeze build and it looks like it might work for what you're doing.

Captain April, cheers for that. Very helpful. However, I think the front of the dome is a wee bit longer. I'm going to be chatting with a 3-D printing firm in Tokyo about making a negative for the helmet for a vac-forming bed. The problem will be getting the correct dimensions.

Dimensions are one of the hardest things to figure out from screen caps without any known object for size reference. The ellipse size I use to create the Hemlet was 14 inches wide by 20 tall. If you can get me better numbers I can easily resize my model. By the way the program I am using is an engineering program so I can output to STL files, which most 3d printers use. Good luck because that is going to be one big vac-form. Most likely the production use blow molding, but you will have to vac-form it in two parts.

I too am looking for ways to make a space costume to coincide with the release of Prometheus. Looking at some other pictures, I got the idea of using my morphsuit as the skin of the suit and somehow crafting the other body parts from plastic.
2LfuQ.jpg

I'm so excited for this film. I saw the trailer when I went to see The Hunger Games a few nights ago. My fiancee has been looking forward to this movie for months. I saw a few costumes that caught my eye, though there aren't many shots of it. If I can find any I'll link them.

Captain April, cheers for that. Very helpful. However, I think the front of the dome is a wee bit longer. I'm going to be chatting with a 3-D printing firm in Tokyo about making a negative for the helmet for a vac-forming bed. The problem will be getting the correct dimensions.

I would have thought thast a 3D print in this size would cost a small fortune.

Could you not find a balloon & make a cast from that?

about the dome, ive been to the studio where the costumes were built, and they had to do each dome in 2 parts as an all in 2 dome wasn't possible to get anywhere. i believe both halves were vacuum formed. as for the bodysuit, either you could have the design printed for you and sew the bodysuit yourself, or you could try looking at one of these superhero cosplay costume websites, who usually have some blank suits.

looking forward to seeing your work :) good luck

why not have 2 halves cnc'd out of wood and then use those directly as a vacuum forming base?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back