Probe Droid Despatch Pod 232

WINGNIT

So after lurking on the sidelines for years and buying tons of stuff off the junkyard, I wanted to do my first studio scale from scratch. From what I can tell, this is the "entry level", studio scale 101 project most go for. I've done studio scale kits, and have scratch built, but never together. After reading the threads and seeing how much you guys have ID'ed, I am truly amazed. I also realized how much repetition there is with some kit parts, so I got started buying kits for this and other projects...
7CB097D8-C7BA-4DFE-9163-059BD91B81D6_zpsy7expjrj.jpg

I decided to go with casting the 8 Rad hull with the plastruct piece in place. The original hull will have a mounting point hidden under a removable Plastruct part (via magnet) for mounting in the center for mounting on the wall. I will likely hide a pow plug there too. I will also go with a mounting point on the nose under the T-34 wheel (once I get my hands on it). The armature will just be a 1/4" threaded rod cut to size and secured with two tee nuts. The threaded rod will have a 1/4" t-joint threaded down the center and connect to the side tee nut mounting point via a small threaded rod...so it'll be, "strong like bull".

I also plan to light the main engine with cool blue LED's.

In reading the various threads of these awesome builds, I missed one key point. I went for the 1/20 scale Lotus and later saw that other people were using the 1/12 scale for the engine bell. Which is correct?

Anyway, I got some silicone in yesterday and started prep work to mold the hull and dropped some of the Karl, smaller 8 RAD bits, and the Flakerviering parts in a separate mold to make copies along with other plant-on parts for my Y-wing and other projects. The silicone should be fully cured in the am, so after work, I should be able to slush cast some hulls.

I hope I can do the same justice to this that so many others have done so far!

Thanks for looking!

-Robin

rad2_zpsliezi090.jpg

rad1_zpsdk7v45bc.jpg

mold_zpsir30k0sq.jpg

20F1A96F-C20B-4E5C-9029-CD560EE75D10_zpsqdpqiavk.jpg

Good start. Some guys might want to buy some of those castings from you as well.

Thanks! Happy to put together some greeblie pack jr.'s! As long as molds hold that is!

- - - Updated - - -

Cool beans. Count me in as a follower....I might want to tackle this one, too...

Count me in on following this Nebulon build of yours!! I'll want to do one when I get a bigger man cave!

Got some more work done this weekend on this one...

De-molded the 8rad hulls and pulled the casts. Trimmed and fitted. Removed the plastruct hemi and styrene from the original and replaced with a washer and tee nut for mounting, then centered a magnet in the plastruct part so that it is removable when mounting from the nose. Since then, I ended up destroying the original hull when I got prep spray I use for removing mold release from resin parts on it. It just melted. Note to self- soap and water on styrene parts!
CE7D6E81-03F5-4F66-BB7A-7A57ED8E39C6_zpstjisbxzn.jpg

4B96E4E6-7DC3-4CF1-B91B-398A1CF2E948_zpsya8ga3r1.jpg

2E6DA643-FD4E-4AEF-99E0-F5E1D6C4D0C7_zpspnkb7xxa.jpg
4AFC8DC9-91D1-443B-865B-BC716EFB978F_zpsa5u7awy8.jpg

Next step is to coat the inside with Smooth-On 65D to secure the hulls together, clean up the super glue drips from the seams, and patch some spots that got bubbles.

Looking good. One little tip for you. If you sand the back of your cast parts with an orbital sander before you pull them out of the mold, it makes sanding a lot easier. Just sand the flashing off until all you see is the back of the parts and rubber. If that makes sense?

Looking good. One little tip for you. If you sand the back of your cast parts with an orbital sander before you pull them out of the mold, it makes sanding a lot easier. Just sand the flashing off until all you see is the back of the parts and rubber. If that makes sense?

Great idea! Thanks! When I'm using a slower setting resin I actually use a paint scraper and run it over the top while still liquid so I end up with a paper-like backing, but as you can see from some of my molds in the back, they got goopy! I am going to try that tomorrow!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back