Predator 2 - Guardian / Gort Build - 3D print etc

StewYZF750

This build is pretty much finished now, but I thought I'd document this costume as I've not written a forum post in quite some time. I think this is the first htread I've started in the predator section of therpf too.

I attempted a Predator build many moons ago (probably 15 years ago), before I even got into costuming as a hobby but always wanted to re-visit it at some point now i have some new tools and skills. A friend of mine started a "Lockdown Project" and was able to put together a very good looking Predator costume, buying parts and putting together some AVP style armour from EVA foam. After seeing his build, I thought I'd give it a go myself.

My favourite style of Predator has always been the Guardian (or Gort) from the Lost Tribe at the end of Predator 2.
Guardian_Predator.png

Essentially the costumes armour pieces are the same as Predator 2's City Hunter, but I could not find the Bio helmet anywhere. Eventually I did find a version online, and although the main shape was there, the details were lacking (I think perhaps it was a scan of a toy that had been smoothed or something?).
So, I decided I'd try my hand at modelling my own Bio mask. It took some time, and it is by no means Screen Accurate, but the details were there to make it at least resemble the original design (at least I think so). I printed a version of the mask, and used it for some photos before going back and re-modelling some of the overall shape (the Mk1 version was heavy, wide and the top curve made it sit very high on my head),
port=download&id=1iOGGCFaNC_VD7UtEMHUQVHGCmBJHgTbh.jpg
port=download&id=1dyqbI3RgtcX5qJ4RgVcfxQAQzNd7pUlM.jpg

port=download&id=1dDnROAhDY-UAVFrrhhRz1rdLXChNyvKe.jpg

While parts of the Bio were printed I made a start on some other pieces. I ordered a printed morph suit /Zentai suit and started working on things like the dreads (backer rod, rolled and shaped with heat then dipped in black latex for 5 layers).
port=download&id=1LFbjaw9gtsQv6WhzChDOVzzDN3ZFdfFa.jpg

Hands were made from some cotton gloves, coated in layers of latex and painted.
port=download&id=17w1JazdmySC0V9X3WyBPXqQy65oQnMjC.jpg

Feet were made from some old trainers, with EVA foam shapes added and again coated in layers of latex, cotton wool and tissue paper.

port=download&id=1BImYE9p3dN8miBJV-VDcSBJgF5aKt8N5.jpg

The Head (under mask) was made from some EVA foam, again coated in layers of latex before adding the dreadlocks to it.

port=download&id=1uZMh7dScsJxGYLvYh3TV3mwfynIrnt_h.jpg

Initally, while looking for files, I cam across a thread here by MoeSizzlac: My P1 Themed Predator Costume with Electronics and Sounds. (Pic Heavy)

And as he had created some great P1 files, I decided to go with a Gort Jungle Hunter build and combined with some EVA parts I had built the first incarnation of my new predator:
pred-stew2-jpg.jpg

However, this was not what I had originally planned as as such I was not happy with how it turned out.... I just needed to build that Guardian as I orginally intended.

So, I purchased the P2 armour files from cgtrade by a 3D artist "jarid88".
predator-2-inspired-chest-armour-3d-model-stl.jpg

As always with 3D printing, issues arose from the print time, the size of the prints had to be scaled and sliced to fit on my print bed, and also some thought into how I was going to actually wear these pieces, how they would fasten together etc.

But eventually parts were printed and things started to take shape:

port=download&id=1KSsOZkFojiGr8_SizgJhIqwp3KlvA67g.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6964.jpg
    IMG_6964.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 297
  • IMG_6993.jpg
    IMG_6993.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 218
  • IMG_6943.jpg
    IMG_6943.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 315
  • IMG_6888.jpg
    IMG_6888.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 332
  • IMG_6874.jpg
    IMG_6874.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 207
  • parts.jpg
    parts.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 191
I painted some additional spots onto the Lycra skin suit to give a bit of texture, which got a bit messy tbh, but almost worked. Some mesh/netting was bought from ebay and a mesh top and trousers were made to go over the sking suit and under the armour, I used a mesh of 30mm but with hind sight I think I should have tried to find mesh with 40mm squares instead.

port=download&id=1__XC3XpqnficzyvB3I2zLbuZwfTKasjq.jpg

A smart disc and Spear Parts were also modelled and printed. The Spear Parts were attached to Alminium tubes of various diameters to allow the spear to retract manually.
port=download&id=1GGs1py0O-HmI9TnPgchIbsZG5D1Woifo.jpg

I also 3D rpinted a ribbed rolling pin. This allowed me to roll some plasticine with a ribbed pattern. This was then used to create a plaster mould so I could cast a latex neck seal.

Attachments

• IMG_5645.jpg
    IMG_5645.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 179
  • IMG_5669(1).jpg
    IMG_5669(1).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 202
  • IMG_3575.jpg
    IMG_3575.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 170
  • IMG_3576.jpg
    IMG_3576.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 328
  • IMG_3577.jpg
    IMG_3577.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 252
  • IMG_3578.jpg
    IMG_3578.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 182
  • IMG_3580.jpg
    IMG_3580.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 255
  • IMG_3624.jpg
    IMG_3624.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 168
Well done and very good work Stew.... I never knew a lycra kind of suit would make a realistic result like this.... personally i prefer my latex suit because i can pour in some movie slime clear on it before going to conventions or filming. Which a lycra suit would not do the same wet look like a real skin.... if i was rich to not know what to do with my money I would make a Dragon skin silicone whole suit ... with the full animatronics and all.... but yeah you did an awesome work Stew congrats! And see you in a convention maybe one day who knows....

This build is pretty much finished now, but I thought I'd document this costume as I've not written a forum post in quite some time. I think this is the first htread I've started in the predator section of therpf too.

I attempted a Predator build many moons ago (probably 15 years ago), before I even got into costuming as a hobby but always wanted to re-visit it at some point now i have some new tools and skills. A friend of mine started a "Lockdown Project" and was able to put together a very good looking Predator costume, buying parts and putting together some AVP style armour from EVA foam. After seeing his build, I thought I'd give it a go myself.

My favourite style of Predator has always been the Guardian (or Gort) from the Lost Tribe at the end of Predator 2.
View attachment 1458058

Essentiellement, les pièces d'armure des costumes sont les mêmes que City Hunter de Predator 2, mais je n'ai trouvé le casque Bio nulle part. Finalement, j'ai trouvé une version en ligne, et même si la forme principale était là, les détails manquaient (je pense que c'était peut-être un scan d'un jouet qui avait été lissé ou quelque chose comme ça ?).
J'ai donc décidé de m'essayer à la modélisation de mon propre masque Bio. Cela a pris un certain temps, et ce n'est en aucun cas Screen Accurate, mais les détails étaient là pour le faire au moins ressembler au design original (du moins je le pense). J'ai imprimé une version du masque et je l'ai utilisé pour quelques photos avant de revenir en arrière et de remodeler une partie de la forme générale (la version Mk1 était lourde, large et la courbe supérieure le faisait reposer très haut sur ma tête),
View attachment 1458059View attachment 1458060

View attachment 1458061
Bonjour j'espère ne pas vous déranger c'était pour vous demander vous vendez le stl du casque s'il vous plaît ou un échange serait possible :) ça fait quelque année que je le recherche mais impossible à trouver d'aussi bonne qualité :/ vos travaux sont sincèrement impressionnant absolument magnifique amicalement José

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back