Predator (1987) Shadowbox Deluxe

Chacal

Hey Everyone,

Not sure if anyone has ever made anything like this but it's something i like to do. This was a long build requiring all kinds of processes like sculpting, painting, card art, soldering, woodwork, etc so I guess the best thing to do is post pics of the build then the completed piece.

The artwork was a jungle scene where the trees and foliage make up the predator's head and, when the LED lights are turned on, other images are revealed behind the black sheet (used for tinting windows) so the whole piece has dual images. The art consists of several layers of card to give the image depth. I used black bamboo as the dreadlocks, branches & Dutch's weapons as eyes, canopy leaves as the markings on his head, leaves as his mandibles, the spiked trap as his mouth.

Rather than house the art in a simple box, I wanted the surround to reflect the film too so I made the outside a jungle scene also. I used Sculptamold & electrical wires to make trees, primed, and painted them by layers. I'm not great at painting but I'm quite pleased with the final result.

Attachments

• JungleScene.jpg
    JungleScene.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 109
  • Sculptamold.jpg
    Sculptamold.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 111
  • Thermal1.jpg
    Thermal1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 112
  • Thermal2.jpg
    Thermal2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 109
  • TreeBrown.jpg
    TreeBrown.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 110
  • TreeDarkgrey.jpg
    TreeDarkgrey.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 105
  • TreeGrey1.jpg
    TreeGrey1.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 115
  • TreePrime.jpg
    TreePrime.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 101
  • TreeVines.jpg
    TreeVines.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 96
  • TreeWhite.jpg
    TreeWhite.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 100
The next part was to make the Gauntlet Bomb from scratch and use the countdown electronics that was brilliantly made by Pelletta on here which he kindly sold to me. This was a tricky process as I had to mount the face on the gauntlet to the front on the surround and have it line up with the buttons on the mother board. I didn't make my gauntlet precisely as it is in the film but it is pretty close. The gauntlet was made from the sculptamold as well, painted and weathered and added additional elements to give it the right look. The electronics are activated by one button and they flash, then a smaller button starts the countdown and the supplied speaker provides the sound.

To turn on the LED lights that backlight the art, I had a red LED switch. In front on that, I made a disc that has the recticle targeting triangle which illuminates when the button is turned on.

Attachments

• Gauntlet1.jpg
    Gauntlet1.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 102
  • Gauntlet2.jpg
    Gauntlet2.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 112
  • Gauntlet3.jpg
    Gauntlet3.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 114
  • GauntletBlack.jpg
    GauntletBlack.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 125
  • GauntletElectrics.jpg
    GauntletElectrics.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 110
  • GauntletPM1.jpg
    GauntletPM1.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 119
  • GauntletSilver.jpg
    GauntletSilver.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 105
  • Recticle2.jpg
    Recticle2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 106
  • Reticle.jpg
    Reticle.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 111
I made the wooden frame work as simply as possible to save weight. All the wood i got from the free bin at B&Q and either screwed or used wood glue to build it. The LED's are powered by a 12v rechargeable lith-ion battery pack off ebay (for about a tenner), the bomb lights require just 4x AA's. As the whole unit can be hung on a wall, I made to compartments on the bottom that can be easily accessed to change or recharge the batteries. Above the artwork, I also have a blacked out area with the Predator title which is visible when the lights are turned on.

Attachments

• Battery1.jpg
    Battery1.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 99
  • Battery2.jpg
    Battery2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 111
  • Frame1.jpg
    Frame1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 110
  • FrameInside.jpg
    FrameInside.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 108
  • Ledredgel.jpg
    Ledredgel.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 100
Now the final piece....

I have video on the countdown working but i don't know how to post videos as they can't be selected?

Attachments

• LightsAll1.jpg
    LightsAll1.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 104
  • LightsOff1.jpg
    LightsOff1.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 105
  • Lightson1.jpg
    Lightson1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 102
  • Lightson2.jpg
    Lightson2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 95
  • LightsonChoppa.jpg
    LightsonChoppa.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 112
  • LightsonWhole.jpg
    LightsonWhole.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 100
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back