Popeye, the movie...am I the only person who knows this exists?

Funky

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I love this movie.
Shelly Duvall and Robin Williams look and act as if Olive and Popeye where transfered right from the cartoon into real people! The sets, the clothes, the acting, the whole feel of the movie is exactly as it should be as it was in the comics and animation. I just love this movie so much that I feel it's so underappreciated. Bad part is I can't discuss this flick with anybody because no one seems to know it even exists! The travesty!
Please, PLEASE tell me I'm not alone. There has got to be somebody else out there who appreciates this move as much as I!

I saw it when it came out in 1980. I remember enjoying it although there were moments that truly made me sad (brought tears to my eyes when I was ten)... Like Popeye kissing the picture of his father goodnight... which is just a frame with "Me Pappy" written in it (the poor guy doesn't even have a decent pic of his father :( ). I do understand the humour behind that gag though.

As well as Popeye and Olive Oil, I thought the character of Bluto was spot on as well!

Man I haven't watched this film in decades!

Kevin

I loved that movie, and wore out the soundtrack album.

In fact, (due to the Dune thread here) I was watching the David Lynch version just last night, and kept expecting Rabban to start singing "I'm Mean!" every time he showed up.

You're serious? Everyone was talking about Popeye in the "best cast Superhero movies" thread recently.

Here's something pretty funny - okay, so my wife is a Swede and she has this entire collection of Pippi Longstrump (longstocking) books from when she was little and she used to read them to our kids - Anyhow, did you know Astrid Lindgren (creator of Pippi) put little clues in the books that if you follow will let you in on the fact that Pippi is really Sweet Pea as a preteen. That's why she has the freakish strength and always talks about how her mother is kidnapped my a big man all the time (Bluto) and her dad has to rescue her.

Know it and love it. As was mentioned above, when this film was mentioned in another thread, I pulled out my copy to watch. It had been a very long time since I had watched it. It was great, like seeing an old friend again. My son had never seen it, which made it all the more enjoyable.

Not only do I love the movie Armando, but the Village set still exists intact, at a 5-minute drive from my house :lol

Popeye Village, Malta

455950.jpg

I actually watched this film about a few months ago while I was on a Robin Williams kick.. Great classic. I had only seen it a few times previously and a bunch of my friends kept bringing him up and it was I who had to actually show them the movie. They had no idea it had existed up until then. Still a great film to watch though.

I used to have a "making of" paperback that talked about all the problems with the forearm makeup. I wish I still had that, it was a good read. I need to rent that and watch it again, it's been ages since I've seen it. I have the "I yam what I yam" 45 record tucked away in a box that I bought when the movie came out. I need to find it.

The only trouble with this is that Swee'Pea is a boy. :unsure

Kevin

In the early Popeye comics - when he was separated from Bettie Boop's cast and went out on his own - when Sweet Pea was first introduced they never said if it was a he or a she. Same as in the movie - Olive and Popeye argue over if the baby they found is a boy or a girl - never answering the question. Sweet Pea was played by Robert Altman's real life son (or grandson, I believe). So I'm sure Astrid assigned a sex to her then put the in jokes of Pippi's identity just because she was a huge Popeye fan.

I loved the movie and had it on vhs for many years until i bought it on region 1 dvd, i was surprised at all the extra scenes in the US edition compared to the uk vhs release.
Glad to see the set still standing, i'd love to visit someday

In the early Popeye comics - when he was separated from Bettie Boop's cast and went out on his own - when Sweet Pea was first introduced they never said if it was a he or a she. Same as in the movie - Olive and Popeye argue over if the baby they found is a boy or a girl - never answering the question. Sweet Pea was played by Robert Altman's real life son (or grandson, I believe). So I'm sure Astrid assigned a sex to her then put the in jokes of Pippi's identity just because she was a huge Popeye fan.

I was very intersted in this possibilty of the cross-over so I spent the last hour searching on-line for any mention of Pippi in connection to Popeye and found nothing. :unsure

I was very intersted in this possibilty of the cross-over so I spent the last hour searching on-line for any mention of Pippi in connection to Popeye and found nothing. :unsure

We put it together from my wife's Pippi books - all from Sweden and all belonged to her father first. I assure you - it's scattered in the stories but the connection is there.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back