Popeye, the movie...am I the only person who knows this exists?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Funky, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I love this movie.
    Shelly Duvall and Robin Williams look and act as if Olive and Popeye where transfered right from the cartoon into real people! The sets, the clothes, the acting, the whole feel of the movie is exactly as it should be as it was in the comics and animation. I just love this movie so much that I feel it's so underappreciated. Bad part is I can't discuss this flick with anybody because no one seems to know it even exists! The travesty!
    Please, PLEASE tell me I'm not alone. There has got to be somebody else out there who appreciates this move as much as I!

Knight Watchman and Daniel Nelms like this.
  2. Megamicrofish

Megamicrofish Sr Member

I loved this film when it first came out!
    I plan on going to Malta in the next few years to visit the village set, it's now a tourist attraction

Knight Watchman likes this.
  3. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

I saw it when it came out in 1980. I remember enjoying it although there were moments that truly made me sad (brought tears to my eyes when I was ten)... Like Popeye kissing the picture of his father goodnight... which is just a frame with "Me Pappy" written in it (the poor guy doesn't even have a decent pic of his father :( ). I do understand the humour behind that gag though.

As well as Popeye and Olive Oil, I thought the character of Bluto was spot on as well!

Man I haven't watched this film in decades!

Kevin

4. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

I loved that movie, and wore out the soundtrack album.

In fact, (due to the Dune thread here) I was watching the David Lynch version just last night, and kept expecting Rabban to start singing "I'm Mean!" every time he showed up.

5. Jet Beetle

Jet Beetle Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

You're serious? Everyone was talking about Popeye in the "best cast Superhero movies" thread recently.

Here's something pretty funny - okay, so my wife is a Swede and she has this entire collection of Pippi Longstrump (longstocking) books from when she was little and she used to read them to our kids - Anyhow, did you know Astrid Lindgren (creator of Pippi) put little clues in the books that if you follow will let you in on the fact that Pippi is really Sweet Pea as a preteen. That's why she has the freakish strength and always talks about how her mother is kidnapped my a big man all the time (Bluto) and her dad has to rescue her.

6. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

No way! :eek

That's awesome! :thumbsup

Kevin

7. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

No man you are not alone.

Classic flick! :thumbsup

8. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Sr Member

It's been a long time, but yes, I've seen it. :)

9. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

Know it and love it. As was mentioned above, when this film was mentioned in another thread, I pulled out my copy to watch. It had been a very long time since I had watched it. It was great, like seeing an old friend again. My son had never seen it, which made it all the more enjoyable.

10. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

The only trouble with this is that Swee'Pea is a boy. :unsure

Kevin

11. Alan Castillo

Alan Castillo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Not only do I love the movie Armando, but the Village set still exists intact, at a 5-minute drive from my house :lol

Popeye Village, Malta

[​IMG]

12. TheCollector

TheCollector Active Member

I actually watched this film about a few months ago while I was on a Robin Williams kick.. Great classic. I had only seen it a few times previously and a bunch of my friends kept bringing him up and it was I who had to actually show them the movie. They had no idea it had existed up until then. Still a great film to watch though.

13. Betamin

Betamin Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I used to have a "making of" paperback that talked about all the problems with the forearm makeup. I wish I still had that, it was a good read. I need to rent that and watch it again, it's been ages since I've seen it. I have the "I yam what I yam" 45 record tucked away in a box that I bought when the movie came out. I need to find it.

14. Funky

Yet another reason for me coming to visit you, my friend. :)

15. Jet Beetle

In the early Popeye comics - when he was separated from Bettie Boop's cast and went out on his own - when Sweet Pea was first introduced they never said if it was a he or a she. Same as in the movie - Olive and Popeye argue over if the baby they found is a boy or a girl - never answering the question. Sweet Pea was played by Robert Altman's real life son (or grandson, I believe). So I'm sure Astrid assigned a sex to her then put the in jokes of Pippi's identity just because she was a huge Popeye fan.

16. frosty

frosty Sr Member

I loved the movie and had it on vhs for many years until i bought it on region 1 dvd, i was surprised at all the extra scenes in the US edition compared to the uk vhs release.
    Glad to see the set still standing, i'd love to visit someday

17. JoMamma_Smurf

JoMamma_Smurf Master Member

I have this movie memorized. I grew up watching it and I watch it to this day with my 4 year old. We love it!

18. Funky

I was very intersted in this possibilty of the cross-over so I spent the last hour searching on-line for any mention of Pippi in connection to Popeye and found nothing. :unsure

19. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

We're old :)

20. Jet Beetle

We put it together from my wife's Pippi books - all from Sweden and all belonged to her father first. I assure you - it's scattered in the stories but the connection is there.

21. Funky

Okay, so it's your opinion based on your assesment? Nothing factual?

22. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

Wow, Alan, nice pics. And yeah I used to love this movie as a kid. How can anyone not know there was a Popeye movie?!

23. spectre_general

spectre_general Member

Incredible, incredibly underrated movie. I need to visit that set.

24. Montagar

Montagar Legendary Member Community Staff

Saw and loved the movie when it first came out and have it on VHS. All I can say is... road trip to Malta!

I remember see an interview with Robin Williams not long after the move came out, and he seemed completely embarrassed to have done the movie. I couldn't understand why he felt that way. IIRC, it wasn't received well by the critics, so maybe that was the reason for his response. :(

25. Madeye

Madeye Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I loved the movie. IIRC it was panned by critics. I will say I am jealous of the beautiful clear Malta water.
    Cheers!
    Will

26. Funky

I'm wondering if it was because it was his first movie. I think he was perfect for the role.

27. BAK55

BAK55 Well-Known Member

Loved the movie! I've been a Popeye fan since I was a very wee lad.

And just to show how enduring this character is, supposedly centuries later, the crewmember of the Betty, Vriess, whistles Popeye the Sailor Man theme In Alien: Resurretion.

28. Jet Beetle

Yeah - when Pippi is saying things like "The grossest vegetable around is all my dad ever leaves me to eat - that's why I store candy under the floorboards of my room."

"Dad has tattoos - two anchors on his arms."

"Mr. Nilson almost got beat up when he took my dad's pipe."

I can't remember any more, but there's a slew of them in the books. I'll ask my wife when she gets back i she remembers any others. There was one that was so on the nose she was talking about Popeye but I can't remember what it was.

29. Goodwolf

Goodwolf Sr Member

I love this movie. One of my favorite scenes was when Bluto discovers Olive and Popey together and they show the whole scene in red for a sec... my 11 year old self thought that was genius. I still think it's a great gimmick to get the point across.

30. Lost in Trek

Lost in Trek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

As I recall it kinda dragged in the middle, but I did enjoy the film. Been ages since I've seen the movie.

31. Megamicrofish

Megamicrofish Sr Member

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  32. HorrorFan

HorrorFan New Member

I remember it. I like the lesser know classics.

33. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I know it, great movie and exactly like the cartoon come to life.

34. Jet Beetle

Woah - has everyone (including IMDB) forgotten a little classic known as "Can I Do It Till I Need Glasses" ? -- That was Robin's first REAL movie. I was 10 or 11 when Popeye came out and I remember some people freaking on a Michael Keaton/ Batman level that Mork was playing Popeye.

Robin does hold a special place in my heart because of The World According to Garp - That movie has remained in my top 10 since i first saw it on cable. I relate so much with that character - grew up without a father because he died before I was born, imagined his dad was beyond human - then even weirder, growing up and becoming a writer - still waiting for my mother to write "Sexual Suspect" - as long as Boo don't pump me full of lead.

35. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

I haven't actually seen it... But I know what you're talking about. :love

Kind of like Stallone's first venture on celluloid. ;)

Kevin

36. stumer

stumer New Member

I really liked the film, and I thought that Harry Nilsson's soundtrack was decent as well. It's too bad it wasn't received well, I thought it was good, and you couldn't have found a better cast as well!

37. Goonie

Goonie Sr Member

I've got it on DVD. Classic flick. Always get a laugh out of the tax man collecting tax on everything.

38. Bowelrock

Bowelrock Sr Member

I am 27 I have loved this movie sense i was a wee lad. Actually now that I think of it. This may have been the first film I ever watched.

39. Hotshot

Hotshot Sr Member

That'll be a 15 cent posting tax!!

40. TurboTrey03

TurboTrey03 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

haha! i'm 26 and still remember watching this as a kid! the best part of it all is i was watching storage wars a couple of weeks ago and the people had bought a storage shed in CA and what they found were odd looking shoes..i knew right away they were the originals that olive oil wore in the movie! they came complete with a CoA and everything!

41. Supa troop

Supa troop Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

There was a Popeye Movie !!!!!! :eek

Just Kidding i vaugley remember it maybe worth another look :)

42. frosty

frosty Sr Member

go for the region one disc if you can find it bud, the uk release was trimmed of some scenes and a couple of songs

43. switchblade_slinger

switchblade_slinger Well-Known Member

I stole so many of my street performance routines from Bill Irwin's schtick in that movie.

You can see him in 'My Blue Heaven' with Steve Martin and Rick Moranis as well.

Oh, and he was Cindy Lou Who's father in 'The Grinch' movie.

'Popeye' is totally underrated. I seem to have MEMORIZED that 'Making of' paperback, and the photos of the Sweethaven set on Malta are making me grin as I type this. Robin Williams may hate it, but for a kid who grew up watching Tom Hatten play Popeye cartoons here in LA through my childhood, 'Popeye' was a perfect transfer from comic to big screen.

44. PattyChuck

PattyChuck New Member

My brother and I watched it so many times (had it on Betamax!) that we broke the tape. We still sing, "I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today!" every time we go to White Castle.

45. Funky

This thread has made me very happy. :)

46. Haywire

Haywire Well-Known Member

I loved this movie. I remember when my my family got our first betamax (yes....betamax) this was the first movie I taped. I must have watched that thing 50 times and in particular the bar scene fight between Popeye and the thugs.

47. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Killer movie. I went to Malta back in 2004 and something in the back of my head was screaming movie location. Yup Popeyes village! I need to dig out some pics from that trip.

48. allosaur176

allosaur176 Sr Member

loved it as a kid, but havent seen it in years!

49. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

My folks used to put this on tv every time they showed it when I was little and it was one of the first movies we rented when we got a vcr. They actually even showed it to us in elementary school one day along with Never Ending Story. It doesn't get the love it deserves.

50. Montagar

Montagar Legendary Member Community Staff

Now that I think about it, I believe it was the fact that it was a "musical", and he wasn't comfortable with his ability to sing. For me, it was cool that none of the lead characters had great singing voices, so it was exactly like the original cartoons (which were black & white, musical in nature, and the characters sang in the same voice that they spoke with).