Playstation 4: No backwards compatibility, used games locked out.

WarPig

Sr Member
From Gamespot:

"...multiple sources told the blog that the Orbis will sport some sort of anti-used-game measure. Full Orbis games will be available via Blu-ray disc or as a PlayStation Network download and will be locked to a single PSN account. Players will not be able to circumvent the system by remaining offline, as the source said users will be forced to be connected to the PSN to boot up their games." :confused

Not being backwards-compatible is nothing new - but if any of you guys are like me, by the time I get around to ordering/playing I can usually find a used one at a fraction of the release price.

And they wonder why people resort to piracy? (n)angry

yeah folks will be finding ways to pirate them the day they come out. I don't mind buying some stuff as a download like old games and such but this is getting stupid. What happens to people in rural areas that don't have good internet or any internet? They're assuming everyone has the net these days. Sony still hasn't realized the PS3 isn't as popular as they had hoped and this won't be any better.

Yeah that's about all i'd end up using it for too. Not that many games i want to play on it. the BR player was the main selling point but now i can get one for 40.00 on amazon. (a player not a ps3). heck i got a new ps2 off amazon for 100.00.

Rumor mill had the new xbox doing the same thing. One use only discs, etc.

It's pretty god damned stupid. I'm willing to bet that if it fails, the first excuse they will use is "oh, piracy killed it!", not the fact they are trying to screw their customers out of every penny they can.

Chris

I'm so tired of action rpgs and FPS games i doubt i'll care. heck most of what i'm using my wii for is older games anyhow. If i wanted games i had to download i'd play on the PC and we all know how easily those get copied and cracked. The game industry is headed for another crash like in the early 80s when crap games flooded the market. this time it's bad business practices. Small game makers will take over and hopefully give us quality.

They'll never stop trying this tired, DIVX-like schtick, will they? The miserable failure of DIVX should have taught them that people NEED to feel some level of ownership of their media.

You don't have the right to photocopy and sell a novel, but nobody tries to tell you you don't own your damn copy of it. Jeeze.

Rumor mill had the new xbox doing the same thing. One use only discs, etc.

It's pretty god damned stupid. I'm willing to bet that if it fails, the first excuse they will use is "oh, piracy killed it!", not the fact they are trying to screw their customers out of every penny they can.

Chris

QFT! :) :thumbsup

good for me, this way i can get the older ones for cheap, as people are stupid and will buy new crap just because its new

over all its apretty stupid concept tho

I hate this concept, both are rumoured to be going this route. Personally when I pay cash for something I want it to be tangible! I've bought a few games through Steam, pained me every time.

The fact that you very rarely get a better deal on the price for digital copies annoys me as well. I would be less annoyed if digital copies were cheaper, though I would still prefer to buy an actual game.

As a former Gamestop employee, I can tell you Sony is undoubtedly getting an earful from them. The used games have a much higher profit margin, so that's what they push.

And Sony probably won't care. They make nothing off of used games sales. But if they think about it, people trade in games to offset the cost of new ones. So they'll be hurting themselves in the end not looking at the big picture.

Nevermind stores like Gamestop, EB, etc will probably disappear as these margins destroy their profit.

Next they'll be pushing the DL game, which I hate, I had a couple, but had to delete them for the space since I couldn't move them to an external drive. geez.

As a former Gamestop employee, I can tell you Sony is undoubtedly getting an earful from them. The used games have a much higher profit margin, so that's what they push.

and that's why the console and even publishers don't like the used game market. it eats into their profits and no profits, means that fewer games get developed/funded, means less games, means higher prices on games.

I like used games, I buy them for my niece and nephew since they are cheap, they can scratch them up without me worrying about them hurting my versions. Of course they are "kids" games (thought they do both like some of the M rated titles we play).

Last edited:
Second hand games can be used but you will have to pay a fee to unlock it for your PSN/XBL account. About rentals, you'll rent them through PSN and XBL.

Hell, I don't even have internet at home anymore. Ridiculous to have to be online just to be able to play a game off physical media.

Guys. I realize this is the internet and bitching about rumors is what we do, but come on. We're more than a year out from new consoles (in all likelihood). Breath. It'll be ok. :)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back