Pirate Sword Help!!

aaronwarb93

Hi there, i am piecing together a BUDGET pirate costume, the sword i ordered was from amazon (picture below), but when it arrived i instantly saw that, although it was good quality for what i payed, the blade would flex and bend with the smallest of movements.

So, my question to you is, What can i do about this? Is there a way that i can strengthen the blade somehow? maybe securing something to the spine of the blade to make it studier? The blade itself is not hollow, and do try to remember that i'm on a budget.

Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions! 51jAqucU8XL._SL1000_.jpg

Take a wire coat hanger and bend it to fit the spine. Then superglue it in place. If you want it to blend in more add a layer of filler and repaint the blade.

Warning: The first time you hit something with it the blade will flex and the hanger and filler will shatter off the spine!

Is it solid or hollow?
If solid you could try cutting a channel along the side, install a metal rod then cover with epoxy putty, then repaint.
If hollow make a hole, insert a rod and some glue to keep it in place then reseal the hole.

I have a hollow vacformed Orc sword I made with a steel rod inside that has stood up to some fighting against a screen used fiberglass stunt sword.

Take a wire coat hanger and bend it to fit the spine. Then superglue it in place. If you want it to blend in more add a layer of filler and repaint the blade.

Warning: The first time you hit something with it the blade will flex and the hanger and filler will shatter off the spine!

Trying this out, after i superglued the wire in place, the whole sword immediately felt a lot less cheap, Thanks so much for your help! :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back