Parks mpp unboxing. Build update.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Panaflex, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Panaflex

Panaflex Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi all, My wife bought this for me as a Christmas gift. 4-5 months later it became a birthday gift when it finally arrived.
    I thought I'd share a few pics of the Unboxing.

Overall, I'm very happy with it, especially with the knowledge that I'll probably never get my hands on a real one.
    Its solid and well built. The track is rubber so I'll be replacing that. The shroud obviously has issues but I'm hoping to tweak it and maybe replace it if Roy makes new ones.

Apologies for the uninspired photography.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  2. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Parks mpp unboxing

Ben, I think it looks great! What are these issues you mention with the shroud? I get the rubber grips part needing to be replaced, but I think it looks awesome man!
    And who knows how long he will be making these anymore too.
    How are the grips attached?

3. Panaflex

Thanks Andy!

The grips are attached with a fairly weak bond adhesive that you can just peel off by hand.
    The shroud's paint is flat with no crackle to the finish and I believe it may be oversized a bit
    but I'm not sure as I'm just going by pics of originals. I know all of this is supposed to be machined from an original so I may be off on this observation. If somebody knows for sure, please chime in.

4. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

4-5 months? Geeze, the order page says "In-Stock" and "Ships in 6 weeks or less".

5. LTsmash1200

LTsmash1200 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah, that's part of why I've been wary of ordering one from him and was looking for an alternative MPP. Guess I'm just going have to bite the bullet though and go with one.

6. Panaflex

Yeah, it kinda' blew Christmas coming that late. The site said "in stock" then too. He said in a phone call that he was waiting on shrouds and that was holding up orders...

Good product, long wait.

7. ronwlim

ronwlim Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Fortuitous that you just posted this. I wrote to Parks yesterday and they told me they had all the parts but no completed sabers. Said 8 weeks for delivery, so I went ahead and ordered. Let the record show that I ordered on the evening of Thursday, June 18th... let's just say today, the 19th since it was nighttime when I paid. Let's see how long this one takes.

A couple years ago I ordered the ANH saber from him and it took about 3 months, double what I had expected. Wish me luck!

-Ron

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  8. Panaflex

Ron, Good luck to you. I hope it gets there in a timely manner.

9. ronwlim

Thanks Panaflex

10. The Terminator

The Terminator Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very nice :)

The d-ring on the shroud is also positioned directly below the screw which is the wrong position.

11. chizbot

chizbot Active Member

I got a weed-whacker for X-mas. You can work with that saber.

mugatu and thd9791 like this.
  12. Panaflex

@ terminator- Thanks, I had no idea on the D ring

@ Chizbot- Yeah, You're right. Gotta' be happy to have it.
    A weed whacker in Buffalo huh? I've got family there. That snow is unbelieveable. You should be given a real MPP on general principal for dealing with that every winter.

chizbot likes this.
  13. LB66679

LB66679 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i actually just got a used one from ebay the other day so im waiting on that to arrive so thanks for posting pics of this . i also ordered some parts from parks so we will see how long it takes to get them

14. The Terminator

Me neither until a few weeks ago, which is why I decided to sell the parks MPP shroud. Want to replace that with something a little more accurate :D

15. Panaflex

Yeah, I can't wait for Roy to roll out his new shroud.

16. mugatu

Is the Parks shroud metal?

17. Panaflex

Hey Mugatu!
    Yes it is.

image.jpg

Sym-Cha and mugatu like this.
  18. mugatu

Hmmm. I wonder when Roy is going to have those parts...I may need to order a Christmas present for myself soon. My resin shroud copy is a great copy but one drop and it'll be over.

I need the clamp sleeve bad, too.

19. ronwlim

Okay, as my post above indicates, I ordered my Parks MPP on June 18th. Well today it arrived; shipped as promised last week. Here's some pics.

IMG_0362.jpg IMG_0361.jpg IMG_0360.jpg IMG_0365.jpg

StarHelix, mugatu and Sym-Cha like this.
  20. JaxAndTheMoon

JaxAndTheMoon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

ronwlim must've been like
    LOLMEMES.jpg

It looks good though, they definitely have great craftsmanship. I wonder why their shipping is so slow

mugatu and LTsmash1200 like this.
  21. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have one but am scared to take the shroud off, is it held in place with a set screw or glue? (So sorry for the horrible shipping time! That's...so...parks)

mugatu likes this.
  22. MCM

MCM Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think the set screw is loctited in place. I, too, am going to replace my shroud with one of Roy's, but I'm a bit nervous about trying to remove it. It is STUCK! ON! @Panaflex, how hard was yours to remove?

23. Panaflex

That is odd, mine came off easily by loosening the screw. I wonder if the build process has changed since I purchased mine.
    I ordered a new shroud from Roy and will post pics of it in place when I can.

24. The Terminator

I removed mine very easily:
    http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=241065

I too will replace mine with Roy's shroud

Essentially because it's one guy handling way too many (world wide) orders for one guy to handle

25. JaxAndTheMoon

Sym-Cha likes this.
  26. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Those grips look like *. I remember the shrouds being thicker than the originals?

27. belloq

belloq Well-Known Member

I have an unmodified Parks MPP from about seven years ago. I will definitely replace the shroud with Roy's, but is the Parks clamp known to have problems too?

28. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

The Parks clamp is just fine ... and while ordering a shroud from Roy ... go get his T-tracks and improved bubblestrip, once the latter has been confirmed being in the house once more :)

Chaim

29. belloq

belloq Well-Known Member

Thanks. I have t-tracks from Gino's old run and already have bubble strip from Roy from 3 months ago. Has he made improvements more recently?

30. Panaflex

Thought I'd update this thread. I put on Roy's shroud and cut the grips I got from him as well. Such great stuff.

I've pulled off one rubber grip and I'm going to glue on one hard grip at a time as I peel off each rubber grip. This will make it much easier than going the template route as it's more a paint by numbers way to go.

I'm going to keep the name plate on, I like it.

IMG_8041.JPG
    IMG_8042.JPG
    IMG_8043.JPG

31. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Sorry belloq, I just notices your question :$ Roy has made some slight improvements with his latest bubblestrip run ... some in regards to the production process ... but yours will be just fine for a wannawanga replica :)

Chaim

32. belloq

belloq Well-Known Member

Looking good Panaflex. I hope mine looks as good when I'm done. I'm still bummed I missed out on Roy's shrouds. Thanks for confirming Chaim. Any chance Roy will consider a limited run of unpainted shrouds?

Panaflex likes this.
  33. Panaflex

Thanks Belloq, yeah I wish I'd ordered a couple more shrouds from Roy now. I have other projects that would benefit from them. I bought 2 before they went away.

mugatu likes this.
  34. mugatu

That Parks looks real good, Panaflex! I wish I had ordered a complete Parks before they went extinct. I could use one right now.

Panaflex likes this.
  35. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

That is up to Roy ... what I would advice Roy to do is start an Interest Thread in the Project Runs in the Junkyard section to gather and determine how many more metal MPP based shrouds are truly in demand ... whether with or without wrinkle paint done by a third party :)

Chaim

36. Jedi Reali

Jedi Reali Sr Member

That's a good call, Chaim. A run may make more sense than offering them for sale on the site, due to the difficulties he had shipping them. Lord knows enough people are interested.

russellsch and Sym-Cha like this.
  37. kevin926

kevin926 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm in need for a shroud as well. I would go ahead and get a set of his anh graflex completion kit and vaders as well to save on shipping.

Sym-Cha likes this.
  38. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

I would definitely be interested in 2 more shrouds, painted or UN-painted :love The one I was able to get, when he first offered them, is magnificent.
    An interested thread is a great idea Sym-Cha.

Sym-Cha likes this.
  39. kevin926

kevin926 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Has anyone tried to contact roy to see if he can post an INT thread

40. darthsnikelfritz

darthsnikelfritz Well-Known Member

Ah great, this is news to me. I ordered one in February and now i don't see it on his website anymore. I tried emailing him twice with no reply.
    Does anyone know if he's doing a 2.0 like the graflex or completely discontinued?
    How's his track record on refunds?

41. Panaflex

He's more responsive to phone calls I've found. Takes a loong time to get the goods but you'll get them. I'm guessing that if you ordered while they were still on the site and he didn't shoot the order down, you'll probably get it.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

42. JaxAndTheMoon

Korbanth has a MPP 2.0 run going, but the first one is all filled up and won't be in people's hands until later this summer early fall