Paper Mache' Bio Helmet?

Masque

Has anyone tried making a BioHelmet out of Paper Mache'? I'm talking blowing up a balloon, make the paste of flower and water, and tearing up the newspaper, style stuff.

I'm pretty good at doing stuff like that and I was wondering if anyone else has tried this and how it worked for them.

Thanks in advance for any tips,
Masque

Search the threads here I'm sure many people have used this method. Pepekura starts of as card/paper and is then sealed with resin or fibreglass. Go for it and let us see some pics of your progress.

Paper mache works but you have to have a strong base to overlay the newspaper on. I'm in the process of making my second paper mache mask (my first one was acceptable, but it's horrendously battered now) and have found that to get the strength you need for it to last more than five minutes, you need a frame made of thick cardboard underneath the paper. So in effect the cardboard is the mask, the paper is just an overlay to fill in the cracks and give a smooth(ish) finish.

No way would the balloon method work. Tried it. Miserable fail. But the cardboard frame method does work. Don't expect it to last more than a couple of wearings though. And it's not even close to waterproof. Rain is not your friend.

I'd love to try the Pepekura, at least with the sturdy cardboard base, but I don't have a printer. However... *thinking fast* a light wire mesh base molded to the face could keep it sturdy enough. As I don't get out much, I'm not going to abuse this mask that much, which is why I chose Paper Mache.

Plus it's cheap and I can always make more.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back