Painting a Mander Wolf - Step By Step

Hi , sry for asking don´t find anything for Answer my Question.

What kind of Color i have to Use to Brush Latex?

First step ist to Coat the Raw Mask?? Or can i Brush it without it?

What coat you use and what Color?

The Last step is to Permawet it ? To Protect or for looking?

Hope you will help..

Greetings True

PredatrHuntr said:
This will be a step by step progress in my attempt to paint Pete Mander's latex Wolf head. I have only used an airbrush once before, and it turned out horribly:

001.jpg

The mask (made by Akira Fudou) was fun to paint, but my painting leaves a lot to be desired: bad triangle spots, mouth is too pink, not enough fading, not enough spots, etc. What I did like was the way the quills and teeth turned out. I made them myself with Sculpy and Bake & Bend.

This time I'm ready: I've borrowed a Badger airbrush and compressor, I have my Prosaide and Permawet, and I have my acrylic paints.

Here is the raw mask:

002.jpg

This is after I applied a coat of prosaide to the entire mask with a brush:

003.jpg

(the prosaide goes on white and then turns transparent and becomes tacky to touch)
004.jpg

I am following Scotts advise and I'm going to layer my paint and prosaide. One layer of prosaide, then paint, then prosaide, then paint, etc. That way I don't have to mix the paint and prosaide at the same time and Scott says it has the same effect. I'll be watering my acrylic paints and prosaide down enough so that they can still flow through the airbrush without clogging it up.

Tomorrow I will begin the base color. I'm starting off with the light colors, then adding viens, then moving to the darker colors. There are a lot of you guys who are seasoned with using airbrushes (Scott, Pete, Larry, Lee, etc) and painting heads to look lifelike...feel free to give me any pointers.

First question: when I go to put the next layer of prosaide on, should I just dilute it 75/25 with water and use the airbrush to apply it to the mask? I'm worried that the prosaide will gum up the inside of the airbrush...does that happen?
I have a question about the pros-aide and acrylic paint !!! when I covered the mask with pros-aide all over the mask is there a chance I can paint the whole mask then use pros-aide then final perma wet gloss coating or I have to following every process you did. 

Second question can I use createx paint and is there other paint I can use beside acrylic paint???

Thank you 

Pm me any feed back

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Prosaide should be applied, then the paint, then prosaide, then paint, and continue this process until done.  I mixed prosaide and paint but the problem with that is that it clogs the airbrush very quickly.  

To be honest, I'm not really one to talk about painting latex masks...maybe someone else can chime in and give advice?

Personally, I only apply the prosaide once.  After the mask has been primed with it, I base coat in a single color, then start the different colors.  It was recommended to me to not mix prosaide in with the paint, as it's basically glue, and like Jason said, will clog your AB almost instantly.  After all the paint is applied, I go back with the permawet, (usually 3 coats) thinned down with a little water to help it flow smoothly.  I've done a couple masks this way with no problems.  Hope this helps!

Brian

P.S.  Forgot to add, I use all FW acrylic inks.

did you just use normal watered down acrylic paint for your head? im trying to paint a latex suit with pros-aide and i need to get paint but don't know what to use

No cracking at all...but I mixed my watered down acrylics wiith prosaide....near impossible to get through an airbrush ;)

There are better ways of doing it ;)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back