Painting A Bloody Skull/spine

4505marcel

I have got a Skull and spine that im painting, ive done the base colour and added some black wash shading, and also painted the teeth. What I really want is it to be all bloody and gooey!
But how on earth do I do it as just red paint will look bad I recon. I thought about mixing dye with a glue like goop or epoxy and drizzle it over the bones so the paint will stand proud and look like runs. I also thought about adding threads or tissue mixed into the paint for guts ect.
Anyone got any better ideas please, really dont want to mess this up.

Thanks in advance

you could try using water effects with some red added into it, and if its not vibrant enough can paint over. not very sure how well it will work. but if ur interested water effects can usually be bought at any hobby store, and some crafts stores.

usually i Use tamaya candy red with some elmers glue and it looks realistic. You can also let it dry on the scull then pick at it with a tooth pic and pull strands of it for a dripping effect. i've never done it on a full scale model, mostly 40k and fantasy 20mm models, but it should be the same result.

I'm also making a bloody skull spine. I have the spine / skull but haven't done my paintup yet (see My Pred Thread for pics in the Costume section) I was going to undercoat in white ---> base coat of Games Workshop Bleached Bone thinned with Vallejo airbrush thinner so it doesn't clog the airbrush ---> airbrushed with Games Workshop Gryphonne Sepia wash to bring out all the details and give it that bone look ---> then drybrush all detail with GW Bleached Bone to make it pop a bit ---> then carefully highlight the most raised areas with acrylic white paint. This will get the trophy looking like its real.

Then for blood I was going to use Games Workshop Baal Red wash airbrushed on but at a really high pressure so its splatters the model. I was also considering mixing up a wash of Games Workshop Scab Red or Red Gore paint with water - 1:5 mix (with the larger part being water) then let this dribble down the model. If neither of these look good I thought about even buying theatrical blood from a costume store as it always seems to stain on halloween and might work great.

On my model I think the key will be not to completely drench it so you can still see the work done on the bone but it's kinda grisly. I'm waiting for my torso to arrive before I start my paintup as I need to decide how I am attaching the trophy to the back and whether I want to include the pelvis or the entire spine.

Post some pics of yours. It would be good to see.
Xander

usually i Use tamaya candy red with some elmers glue and it looks realistic. You can also let it dry on the scull then pick at it with a tooth pic and pull strands of it for a dripping effect. i've never done it on a full scale model, mostly 40k and fantasy 20mm models, but it should be the same result.

What type of glue is Elmers? Goop stays flexable like silicone mastic so wont crack once cured, not sure how well it will run though.

I'm also making a bloody skull spine. I have the spine / skull but haven't done my paintup yet (see My Pred Thread for pics in the Costume section) I was going to undercoat in white ---> base coat of Games Workshop Bleached Bone thinned with Vallejo airbrush thinner so it doesn't clog the airbrush ---> airbrushed with Games Workshop Gryphonne Sepia wash to bring out all the details and give it that bone look ---> then drybrush all detail with GW Bleached Bone to make it pop a bit ---> then carefully highlight the most raised areas with acrylic white paint. This will get the trophy looking like its real.

Then for blood I was going to use Games Workshop Baal Red wash airbrushed on but at a really high pressure so its splatters the model. I was also considering mixing up a wash of Games Workshop Scab Red or Red Gore paint with water - 1:5 mix (with the larger part being water) then let this dribble down the model. If neither of these look good I thought about even buying theatrical blood from a costume store as it always seems to stain on halloween and might work great.

On my model I think the key will be not to completely drench it so you can still see the work done on the bone but it's kinda grisly. I'm waiting for my torso to arrive before I start my paintup as I need to decide how I am attaching the trophy to the back and whether I want to include the pelvis or the entire spine.

Post some pics of yours. It would be good to see.
Xander

Ive pretty much used the same paint, but brushed it on.

Loving that Elmers glue tip! That has some COOL potential for some gorey mxture. Thanks for mentioning it, I will use that at some point!

Thought about painting over hot glue? Could be worth a test on some scrap. I also like the idea of mixing epoxy with some red acrylic and seeing if it will run...

What I did was take some Elmers and mix it with red food coloring (and a little bit of blue). Then I took hunks of toilet paper and dipped those into the mix and then stuck the hunks onto the spine so that bits and pieces dangled off. It gives the appearance of bloody fleshy chunks sticking to the bones. :)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back