Paint Cure Issue

PHArchivist

Master Member
Have a tacky final coat days after applying.

Was perplexed because thought it was Rust-O-Leum laid on Rust-O-Leum...

But it wasn't.

Had a Krylon Chrome sandwiched in between.

Is that my problem?

KD 030.JPG

Sounds like you have an issue called “blocking”, it usually happens when one of the coats hasn’t cured fully between coats. Or sometimes on what the temperature and humidity was at time of application. I’ve had issues in the past when not being patient. Depending on the severity of the blocking I’ve had pieces loose their tackiness overnight and even up to a week.

Sounds like you have an issue called “blocking”, it usually happens when one of the coats hasn’t cured fully between coats. Or sometimes on what the temperature and humidity was at time of application. I’ve had issues in the past when not being patient. Depending on the severity of the blocking I’ve had pieces loose their tackiness overnight and even up to a week.

That's sounds just about right.

Just not used to using spray paints in Texas; was spoiled in California.

Hopefully, the clear satin Rust-O-Leum coat will seal it all in and cure properly.

I'm not an expert in chemistry, but I am told this is incompatible chemistry, not so much a timing of coats issue. Time may be a factor, but we have always had issues with mixing Krylon and Rustolium spray paints, and time or atmospheric conditions do not seem to play a role in this problem.

That's sounds just about right.

Just not used to using spray paints in Texas; was spoiled in California.

Hopefully, the clear satin Rust-O-Leum coat will seal it all in and cure properly.

Never had too much issues when in Florida, and making sure to wait til it was fully dry.

Did you move to Texas?

I’d bet money it’s that chrome paint. I used it myself among the other 17 chrome aerosols I have here and it definitely was one that did not dry quickly. I want to say even after weeks it still wasn’t fully cured.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back