P2 elder mask sculpting questions.

inkmonster

I was looking to get a P2 elder mask and since the only one I like is Peter Murphys and he limited them to 15. It looks lole Im gonna have to attempt to have a go at it myself. So from the mask sculpters out there Im looking for tips to achieve just that. Should I sculpt it like they do at SWS and ADI where they leave the mandibles off till they get the details inside the mouth then add them on? How do I go about getting it as sementrical as possible? About how much will the latex shrink after molding a mask so I get a idea how much to oversize the sculpt? The next closest mask I seen to it was Lees fanastic P1 final journey sculpt. If that mask had the bumps and P2 style mandibles it would be pretty much dead on. No Im not nudging ya Lee to start sculpting one.LOL just am very impressed by that sculpt and hope to be able to pull this off. So any tips from you would be greatly appreciated too.

Dwayne,
If you look at my P2 journey, i did exactly what you speak of, i did the mouth, THEN added the mandibles, Symetry is easier for me by taking photos and usually asking the good lair members for input ( ALWAYS reaps good results during a mask sculpt )

Im told latex will shrink about 10%-12% ROUGHLY, but it depends on how pure the latex is, and other variable i have never botherd to look into.

As for sculpting a elder................... Its has recently been added to my list of " i want to sculpt soon ", along with a Closed mouth P2, BUT you seriously do not want to see this list, its HUUUUUUUUUUGE.

Start a WIP thred, people will always help, and it keeps you motivated.

I know when i start my next head ill be doing another Journey, i just chose to prove a point with my P1 :D

Yeah I seen on your P2 thats the way you did it. But on the P1 it looked like you started off with the mandibles sculpted onto it from the start. I will definatly have to start a WIP thread for input I hope that I can pull this off Im the kind of person that is super anal about this kind of thing. And if one little thing doesnt look the way I want it to I would probaby toss the whole pile of clay in the trash. So I need to do it right if Im gonna do it at all. Hope to have pics of the start of it soon.

Just found some old WIP reference shots of Peter Murphys elder sculpt. Hopefully there just what I need to push me to do this.

Just do not rush it, just because it does not look perfect sraight away , does not mean it needs to be trashed, it just means it needs more work :D

Trust me, i think i even stabbed my wolf in the forehead a couple of times, as it can be very frustrating. ( learnt my lesson after punching my 2nd P1 , clays pretty hard in UK winter hehe )

Just do not rush it, just because it does not look perfect sraight away , does not mean it needs to be trashed, it just means it needs more work :D

Trust me, i think i even stabbed my wolf in the forehead a couple of times, as it can be very frustrating. ( learnt my lesson after punching my 2nd P1 , clays pretty hard in UK winter hehe )
Yeah the oil clay is hard here to even in the summer. I was thinking of using wedlcay on it but do to the fact that it may take me several months to do this I think I will use the chavant medium. More stress on the hands but I was planning on heating it up in the oven first to get the forms bulked out quick. Im certianly no sculpter nowhere in the same league as alot of you guys. But its worth a shot and if it sucks then I guess it will never see the light of day as a finished mask.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back