P1 Complete Gauntlet

Want you also be aware. You will need resistors and capacitors. I will get you the values before we start. I have to experiment.

The best needle nose is the ones used for bead making. They are rounded and when you bend your wire in makes a nice jumper.

Cary

Pick up 2.2 Microfared Electrolytic capacitors. Get the real small ones.Radial Orientation(2 leads come out of the bottom) Also 1/4 watt 100k 50k and 10k resistors. Get 10 capacitors.(Which we will refer to as caps from now on) 10 resistors for now. I will be putting together the video tutorial by next week. I am not sure how to post a video here so I need a volunteer to send it to so they can post it here.

Cary

I am video taping tonight.

I will walk you through how to set up the jumpers for power. How to place the chip properly on the board. Wire up the chip. And hopefully when all is said and done you will have an LED flashing as your clock.

Cary :)

Hey Cary,

the video is very good to see but I realy do not understand very much what you are talking as the sound is absolutly bad quality and for a german absolutly not good to understand, I´m still waiting on e leds and capacitors and than I also will start with the built.

Greetings Guido

Hi Cary, nice tutorial, the led is flashing away nicely, with the 10K resistor it's just about permanently on, your explanation of the capacitor helped me a lot, and your recapping of what should have been done was very helpful. I was ok with the sound once I used headphones, it was just too faint from the monitor speakers. Thanks again, I really enjoyed messing about with the breadboard and stuff, Derek

Here is what I am going to do. I will video tape the best I can but I will also post with the video a written explanation.

So for the first tutorial here it goes.

In the video I explain how to first hook up the power. I am using a 9volt battery cap. You can buy these at radio shack or electronics stores. You will see a Blue Stripe and a Red Stripe on your breadboard. Hook your Red Wire from the Battery to the hole on the Red Stripe and the Black wire to the hole on the Blue Stripe. All the holes in line with the Red Strip are now positive and all the holes in line with the Blue Stripe are now Negative or for our purpose Ground.

Put your 4011 Chip on the board like I have shown. Make sure the depression on the chip is to the left. That will ensure the orientation of the Chip is correct. The proper way to count the pins is start with the first pin on the left. That is pin 1. Once you reach the end as in our case pin 7 than the next one is right above it and continue to pin 14.

Like I said in my video I used the leads from a resistor and bent them in a U Shape. I shorted pin 1 and pin 2. Short pin 3 and pin 5. Also short pin 5 and pin 6. Pin 7 is ran to the Ground Stripe. Pin 14 Is run to the Red Stripe.

The video shows me using a Decade Box for variable resistances. I want you to take your Resistor. Put one Lead to pin 1 and the other lead to pin 3.

The Capacitor you are to use is a Electrolytic Radial Orientation. Value 2.2 Microfarad. Hook one lead to pin 2 and the other to pin 4. Pin 4 is going to be our output.

Take your LED. It will have 2 Leads. One longer than the other. The longer is your positive or your Anode. The shorter your Negative or your Cathode.

Take your Anode and put it at pin 4 the output. Take your Cathode and put it at ground.

Now hook up you Battery. If everything is wired right the LED will flash. Play with different values of Resistirs and watch the Flashing rate of the LED change.

Next Tutorial next week.

Cary :)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back