Our 'Portal' companion cube...

lharles

Sr Member
This was the first prop we built. I've actually got multiple pictures of false starts, (it took a couple months to find the right way to make this come together - I'm a pretty competent dunce when it comes to this stuff, but I'm gettin' better - :) ), & very few of what ultimately made it come together into something that I think turned out pretty well...

https://tinyurl.com/yd9l5um3

Again, I hope it's amusing to some folks.

:)

Last edited:
Love it. One of these days I'm thinking I'll have to make one too. How heavy did yours end up being? Being cardboard I imagine it should be reasonably light? I'm split between wanting a lightweight one that I can carry around and wanting a sturdy one that I could sit on...

Nice work!! :):thumbsup

I'm just getting back into Portal after not playing for awhile; I wonder how my spouse would feel if I made a Cube coffee table...

I actually wound up using plastic panels for the grey square-ish portions under the corner & side bumpers, (I had them cut to size at a TAP Plastics nearby), otherwise it's mostly cardboard, kraft paper, Mod Podge, paint, & sweat. :)

As for the weight, I'd guess 10-15 pounds. Not terribly heavy but heavy enough that it would be a hassle to carry around for any extensive length of time. It's 22" x 22" x 22" so - even if the weight wasn't an issue - it's awkward to lug around ... without a portal gun. :D

Love it. One of these days I'm thinking I'll have to make one too. How heavy did yours end up being? Being cardboard I imagine it should be reasonably light? I'm split between wanting a lightweight one that I can carry around and wanting a sturdy one that I could sit on...

I do have a few more pics but they're actually more of my false starts, (at one point, I was making the bumpers out of cardboard & covering/coating them with 'Water Putty' to harden them - this was not successful). This was the FIRST thing I built of any size & I got to nearly the point of complete obsession with doing it properly. By the time I started to get close to completion, I'd stopped taking pictures & was just angrily trying to finish it. :) I can certainly give you a description of what I wound up doing, if you you think that would be of assistance...?

have any more build pics? this inspired me and now i want to build one :)

I do have a few more pics but they're actually more of my false starts, (at one point, I was making the bumpers out of cardboard & covering/coating them with 'Water Putty' to harden them - this was not successful). This was the FIRST thing I built of any size & I got to nearly the point of complete obsession with doing it properly. By the time I started to get close to completion, I'd stopped taking pictures & was just angrily trying to finish it. :) I can certainly give you a description of what I wound up doing, if you you think that would be of assistance...?

well i started out today, i just made a cardboard cube as a base, on which i strengthened the inside so it would hold a lot of weight, that will be covered with something,then make the corner thingies out of cardboard, which i will again cover in something (not sure what thatsomething will be, either thin cardboard, plastic etc), and after its finished, painting it with acrylics :D

Love the Cube, great job! I didn't even realize you used cardboard, until I got to the build write up. :D Starting to think I have underestimated cardboard as a building material for far too long :)

Love the Cube, great job! I didn't even realize you used cardboard, until I got to the build write up. :D Starting to think I have underestimated cardboard as a building material for far too long :)

...yeah, this was the beginning of the obsession for me. :) Nowadays, I usually have 3-4 projects in some state of construction.

The cardboard definitely was a good starting point for this build. :D

{Currently, I'm working on a cryocan replica from ”Jurassic Park”, have a Farnsworth replica from ”Warehouse 13” that I'm probably going to have to stop procrastinating about, & designs on turning the bits of our long disassembled MAME cabinet into a custom Tron cabinet... :) }

...yeah, this was the beginning of the obsession for me. :) Nowadays, I usually have 3-4 projects in some state of construction.

Oh I know the obsession well already! I'm still a light-weight with only 2 projects going but, there are 2 more waiting in the wings that I have tried to hold back as a reward for actually finishing the 2nd and 3rd project! :D I've got a Skyrim Steel Sword at about 60% and a 6in statue of Raichu (Pokemon) going as well. The second if for my son and due by Xmas day... (in theory) The odds of delivery for the status are looking sketchy at the moment.. first statue so the learning curve si slowing me down, good thing he doesn't know it's coming so he wont be disappointed when it becomes a "New Years" present haha :)

Look forward to seeing your latest!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back