Our Collective 5-Foot Millennium Falcon Build

SK,
Solid construction and alignment demonstrated in those views. Inboard Pontoon bridge and armor on skin will fatten her up depending how you designed that joint. Regardless, so will the height of the side rails top and bottom and kit parts that decorate the edges.
Now check jaw box width & length relative to plan view toe-in and toe-out. This includes side armor thickness and slope plus any included start of side wall vertical drop to disc.
Wow, structure sure looks well rigged. Congratulations.

1674864632163.jpeg

OLD SKOOL RULEZ

1674864687639.jpeg

Intelligent observation

(Need to re-read my input more often. Meant this as a complement. You provided a teaching moment regarding skills from the past.)
That's ok, I figured that. That's why I always put the smiley face, when I say something that might be misconstrued. People are so sensitive on the interwebs. In real life people can see your expression when you talk, and know you're joking. Oh well first world problems, lol.

So, if you're ever wondering how to feel "really smart" and "really stupid" at the same time, have I got a lesson for you!

Remember the old carpenter's adage, "Measure twice, cut once"?

On the Falcon, my approach has been:
  • Get every possible measurement you can find
  • Analyze them
  • Compare them
  • Average them
  • Proportionalize them
  • Bandai PG convert them
  • Choose your own number
  • Measure it twice
  • Measure it twice more
  • Measure it again
  • Once more, buddy
  • Then make your cut
  • Then do it right, since you screwed up the first one
1675540644375.jpeg

Here's the forward section of chipping plate for the port underside mandible.

Which you'll need/want to make sure your mandible pit holes are in the right location.

Then derive perfection from there.

Oh, and also: remember how many times to measure and mark and manage before you commit? That goes for marking port and starboard sides too, especially since you'll be turning this thing over again and again throughout the build.

So here's a classic blunder I've made, despite everything:
1675540873699.jpeg

Yes, that's right side up. Yes, the port mandible holes are in the wrong location, as are the starboard mandible holes. That's because I marked the mandibles, but somehow had them "switched" in my mind when I started cutting the holes, and it took me three days to figure why I was so far "off".

So here's the fix, which is currently still in process:

1.) Fill the hole with the disc you cut out of it
1675548881351.jpeg

2. Brace support it from underneath, completely
1675541153481.jpeg

3. Putty like crazy
1675541204982.jpeg

4. After the first layer is dry, a full day later, sand like heck
1675541241750.jpeg

5. Then putty some more
1675541299557.jpeg

6. Wait a full day for that to dry (that's today)... and while you're waiting, make your son a Shield of Gondor for his Lord of the Rings museum day show-and-tell...

1675541382609.jpeg

When he asks why he can't hold it and play with it, explain patiently that the epoxy and paint are still drying!

Attachments

• 1675541155772.jpeg
    1675541155772.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 62
  • 1675541095953.jpeg
    1675541095953.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:
I see where you went wrong. You're only meant to measure twice....bugger!
edit: You can't afford to be too careful.

That prince of Gondor has a fine shield though! Outstanding.

Last edited:
Excellent recovery!
Sandpaper around the neck of a conical glass bottle works well for truing up circular holes.
Much like a tapered reamer, which has to be one of my favorite tools.

Last edited:
Excellent recovery!
Sandpaper around the neck of a conical glass bottle works well for truing up circular holes.
Much like a tapered reamer, which has to be one of my favorite tools.
Do you know of a ready-made "conical glass bottle" that has a 3" diameter that is perfectly round (i.e., not a Coke bottle, which has fluting/ridges)?

Thanks!

Ha, you make a good point. Not many I'd suggest. Had honestly forgotten how large these holes are.

Though, I think some larger Champagne bottles are just over 3.25". Probably not the most economical method.
And might be a tad strange waltzing into your local liquor store with a vernier in hand.

SK,
My favorite small to medium size hole trimmer is a tapered reamer per Bjorn’s advice.
Larger holes I use a hole saw with a hand drill. The diameter used is slightly undersized if needed. Finish with a Dremel sanding drum. Sanding drums in the larger sizes are also good for this.
Biggest problem with hole saws is finding the correct center in the beginning. Rework is common.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back