Our Collective 5-Foot Millennium Falcon Build

Nice donor kit layout Studio Kitbash for this mandible pit!. Just shows the number required that ILM picked through to find parts. Some kits yielded many parts, others a measly one part from a kit!.
I found building mine & think I logged it back somewhere in my build thread, that all the mandible pits are of differing diameters & depths!. Layout is the key with the donor parts telling the truth so to speak.

Stu

Stu,

When you suggested as much way back when -- "that all the mandible pits are of differing diameters & depths" -- I thought, "No way!" but here I stand, corrected once more. This one is definitely not a full 3.5" in ID, and I'm leaning to 3.25" or else a "hand-curved" circular pit that was made from a long thin piece of styrene, glued into a circle shape on top of a flat surface, which is the approach you took, no?

Stu,

When you suggested as much way back when -- "that all the mandible pits are of differing diameters & depths" -- I thought, "No way!" but here I stand, corrected once more. This one is definitely not a full 3.5" in ID, and I'm leaning to 3.25" or else a "hand-curved" circular pit that was made from a long thin piece of styrene, glued into a circle shape on top of a flat surface, which is the approach you took, no?
Yeah I wrapped thin styrene, 1mm I think, around the base plate of each pit to form the walls. But ILM actually used 2 or more strips to form the walls, you can see the divisions in close reference pics. I chose to scribe in the division lines as much easier I felt.

She may not look like much, but she’s got it where it counts, kid.

1625771771713.png

I've made a lot of special modifications myself... can you spot them?
P1390247.JPG

And which do you like better? Old school original approach, or creative interpretation neo-retro remix? I'm torn, but since these are removable/swappable, I'll probably use both until I make up my mind.

Nice job Studio Kitbash. Ignorance says the one on the right. Need to refer to the airlock parts maps, but I am taking notes for the day when I can assemble greeblie puzzles too.

My two rules for creative interpretation when going "off-script" in greeblie decoration, is to follow either or both of these principles:

1.) Stay "in source kit" for the added details -- so two of the greeblies added on the right side airlock port come from the same model kit (the 1/72 Hasegawa Sherman) as the ones you're looking at, and thus it looks and feels if not right, then at least appropriate or plausible." I like it because it is a.) busier on an already super-busy section, and b.) adds a lever-lock hydraulic looking mechanism to a system that is supposed to "open and close" and so looks mechanically linked and thus "necessary" for proper working of that part.

2.) Stay "in palette" by using an already known existing subassembly that is used elsewhere in the same universe - so in this case, you must stay within ANH territory, and not take something from ESB or ROTJ or further afield. So one of the added details in the above right airlock port is actually a two-part subassembly from the Turbo Laser Cannon, and makes it look like Han Solo "borrowed" some Imperial tech to further pimp his ride.

That's actually quite cool to see added parts over & above the original miniature. You gave it quite some thought there in the new donor kit part choice & it does add to it looking more 'functional'.

Studiokitbash. Great entertaining post here as usual. Every time I see the Aurora Sealab Parts on any of these builds, all I can see is green eyed studio scale modellers ripping apart old model shop storerooms in the hope of finding the kit. I know the original model was only made for a short period but is ridulously rare and expensive to buy in its original state. Is there a possibility that someday the owner of the molds might do a re- issue. Surely there must be a market?.
Or it is just too niche a subject.( and of course you could never tell the company that that you want them to chop up the parts ).

Studiokitbash. Great entertaining post here as usual. Every time I see the Aurora Sealab Parts on any of these builds, all I can see is green eyed studio scale modellers ripping apart old model shop storerooms in the hope of finding the kit. I know the original model was only made for a short period but is ridulously rare and expensive to buy in its original state. Is there a possibility that someday the owner of the molds might do a re- issue. Surely there must be a market?.
Or it is just too niche a subject.( and of course you could never tell the company that that you want them to chop up the parts ).
Yes, there is a market, and yes this has already been reproduced -- click this link to buy it for $125 instead of $750 and up. Masterpiece Models also sells their resin casting kits on Ebay.

Millennium Falcon Time To Celebrate Cake Image.jpg

Some (potentially) Very Good News:
New house offer accepted.
Comes with a dedicated studio-scale Millennium Falcon building space barn and two-car garage.
Either way, if this closes, we'll have much to announce in about 6 weeks.

View attachment 1502629

Some (potentially) Very Good News:
New house offer accepted.
Comes with a dedicated studio-scale Millennium Falcon building space barn and two-car garage.
Either way, if this closes, we'll have much to announce in about 6 weeks.

Hope you are successful. I have just moved from an appartment to a townhouse to reduce sunk costs. Son helped me big time including a work shop with a dedicated “Bespin” sized bench in the garage. Studio Scale Millennium Falcons need big spacious hangers.

No, it's all good -- we dodged a bullet. Inspection revealed a lot more that we didn't know, and that would have been prohibitively multiplying of the purchase price to repair.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back