Our Collective 5-Foot Millennium Falcon Build

That 5.657 measurement was where the tube would "come through" the upper patty at 2" height, but in fact it comes through at 3" height, so is the full six inches at that point. So you can/should safely ignore that number -- it was one of the learning curve mistakes.

That 5.657 measurement was where the tube would "come through" the upper patty at 2" height, but in fact it comes through at 3" height, so is the full six inches at that point. So you can/should safely ignore that number -- it was one of the learning curve mistakes.
Isn't he distance between the upper and lower patty 2"? How the tube comes through at 3"? and another one, the lower part of the tube does sit flush over the lower patty? Please sorry for asking and of course, thank you in advance for your answers SKB.

Last edited:
You can also "cheat" your way to deriving the 6" cockpit tube -- we know a.) the radar dish is 6" diameter, and we know b.) the Bandai 1/72 Perfect Grade Falcon is a digitally scanned "near-perfect" replica, and thus, c.) when the Bandai Radar Dish fits perfectly to the Bandai cockpit tube, then you know the real cockpit tube must be 6".

Long story short -- I would NEVER be trying to build this without the pioneering of four to eight others who have gone before me, and without the Bandai 1/72 Perfect Grade Falcon as a placement guide.

You can also "cheat" your way to deriving the 6" cockpit tube -- we know a.) the radar dish is 6" diameter, and we know b.) the Bandai 1/72 Perfect Grade Falcon is a digitally scanned "near-perfect" replica, and thus, c.) when the Bandai Radar Dish fits perfectly to the Bandai cockpit tube, then you know the real cockpit tube must be 6".

Long story short -- I would NEVER be trying to build this without the pioneering of four to eight others who have gone before me, and without the Bandai 1/72 Perfect Grade Falcon as a placement guide.
I'm in the process of gathering the information about how to make an accurate falcon core form, and I've seen all those amazing threads and collected a lot of info , besides that seeing falcon build threads is kind of addictive... :)

Deriving the armature schematics... by mixing the old-school build aesthetic with some newfangled CAD design and lighter materials...

Deriving Armature Schematics 7-18-2020.JPG

Fabian,

I don't mind the questions -- it's just that your questions are AHEAD of my build progress. I'm still figuring out the armature...
Oh well, your build is AHEAD of mine, at least you have started it. Figuring out is an understatement, Really Cool ideas, keep at it mate.

The Millennium Falcon is NOT 1/24 scale.

It is much closer to 1/21 scale.

I'm proceeding with my build by working off the assumption that the model is specifically and precisely 1/20.5 scale. My logic and math are as follows:

Per scalecalcultor.com, using the radar dish at 6" on the five-footer which is 43.4mm on the Bandai 1/72 Perfect Grade Falcon, this works out to being precisely 1/20.5 scale

Millennium Falcon is 1-20.5 scale.png

What this means, in absolutely super-simple terms, is that to derive any measurement, you would simply take the Bandai Measurement and then multiply it by 3.51152. (This comes with a caveat, however: Bandai did knowingly "cheat" some areas of the Falcon by resizing certain greeblies to make them fit onto the hull they had created, so while their bird is a "perfect replica" it's not actually a digital scan recreation of the original, but rather a digital scan of the original that was then converted into some "standardizable" units, which typically meant they balanced out any left/right or front/back asymmetries.

So on the Bandai PG Falcon, the longside of the nosecone tube is exactly 53mm. This means on the full-scale model you'd want it to be 186.11mm.
The short side of the nosecone tube on the Bandai PG Falcon is 28.575mm, which translates to 98.32mm on the short side.

This assumes a 30-degree angle cut of the tube. This also is significantly different than previous numbers on this measurement around 172mm long side and 95mm short side.

I don't know if these differences are simply accounted for by the move from a 5.75 OD tube to a full 6" tube, but I put it out there in case one of you knows trigonometry better and can check/correct my math.

Finally, this is all theoretical -- the real test will be how it looks when actually building it, and how it serves as a ground onto which to plant all the greeblies. So final confirmation of these theoretical numbers is months and months away (if not years).

And if you're still reading this, other interesting numbers are derived from going this route, one of which is that the base diameter of the turret gun ring is neither 11.5 inches nor 12 inches. This route puts the base diameter of the turret gun rings at exactly 11.75" -- a perfect average of the two most common claims for this measurement.

Last edited:
Patty of the burger is 46.31 inches OD -- to this vertical wall you add the greeblies all around.

OD of the bun (dome) is 48.72 inches -- to this you overhang even more durasteel plating, but if you're fabricating your own dome, this is the absolute outer limit of how large it can be (if you make it smaller, like an even 48", you can still make up for it with extra dura-steel plating overhang, but this is the number to achieve precision accuracy to replicate the original ILM filming prop)

Many Bothans died to bring you this information...

Last edited:
Wow!!! That looks like King Kong's contact lens! The real art will be trimming that circular edge....! Then scuff it up good and even so it will start to take some primer coats I imagine? Following this with ALOT of interest..

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back