Ottawa ComicCon? Finally!

Eric Ardros

Sr Member
I heard some awesome news this morning on the way to work. Pretty much all the local papers here highlighted an article announcing that Ottawa is to have its very first ComicCon mid-May of this year! :D

It's to be held May 12-13th at the CE Center (it's a new convention centre put up near the Ottawa International Airport), and is right in my neck of the woods, so I won't have to venture too far out to get there.

The roster of special guests include Sir Patrick Stewart and John De Lancie of TNG fame, Lou Ferrigno from the original "Incredible Hulk" TV show, and Elvira: Mistress of the Dark. The Delorean Time Machine from BTTF will even be there!

I know there really aren't that many Canadian members here, and even fewer who are anywhere near Ottawa, but I just wanted to share the news. I'm totally geeking out here, guys :lol

Whoops. Just noticed which forum this got put into, lol. If an Admin or Mod could please move this to the Off-topic forum, it'd be appreciated :cool

Very cool! I wonder what the crowds will be like like?
Honestly, I would prefer to go to this than the one in Toronto in August if its a less crowded event...

I've been to the one in Toronto in August, and it was kewl, but damn was it crowded :p I'm kinda curious about that too; will it be crazy crowded, as it's the first one here, or not? Only way to know is to go, I guess :) heh

Been reading up on more on the website (Ottawa Comiccon - Comic books and pop-culture convention), and came across a couple other kewl activities taking place there. For one, there will be an open panel where one can hear stories and anecdotes from the special guests, as well as the opportunity to ask your own questions.

There will also be a special photo booth set up for people to have a photo op with their favourite guest. I'd likely get 8.5 x 11's with Patrick Stewart and John De Lancie :) This event just keeps getting better and better, imho.

I am super excited about this since I live in Ottawa. I will be present as 501st member dressed in my animated clone costume so feel free to drop by and say hello Eric!

Well, it's a good thing I posted this then, isn't it? ;)

Kewl to find there are actually other Ottawan RPF-ers here. I had no idea, lol.

Don't really have any costume done up for it (have a HALO Mk VI helmet and chest piece I still haven't finished), but I'll keep an eye out for those of you who do.

I look forward to seeing you fellas there! :)

So, I don't know if any of you have checked out the OCC website recently, but boy was I surprised to see there'd been a change to the guest list.

Sadly, Sir Patrick Stewart is no longer attending, but they've added William Shatner, Brent Spiner, Marina Sirtis, Adam Baldwin and Jamie Bamber and Erin Gray! I think that more than makes up for his absence, lol.

Of course, now that means I have more favourites I'll want to get photos with and autographs from. Decisions, decisions :p

Those tickets are starting to sell out pretty well, too. Both the Saturday and Weekend Passes are gone, leaving only Sunday and the way-expensive VIP Pass for Shatner-exclusive access.

I decided to go on Sunday, in the hope that with it being the second day (and Mother's Day) perhaps it won't be as busy, and therefore me a better chance at getting the photo ops and autographs I want.

Of course, I could be wrong on that account. Guess we'll just have to wait and see :D

Sadly, Sir Patrick Stewart is no longer attending, but they've added William Shatner, Brent Spiner, Marina Sirtis, Adam Baldwin and Jamie Bamber and Erin Gray! I think that more than makes up for his absence, lol.

Definitely visit with Erin. Her and Gil Gerard were pretty lonely here in Calgary - hardly anyone was going to see the Buck Rogers crew. The Trek crew stole their thunder. lol. Erin is very nice, had a good chat with her. She had a good laugh when I told her when I was a kid watching Silver Spoons, all I was interested in was that train.:lol

I'd planned to, but in all the excitement to get there, I ended up forgetting my camera :rolleyes lol. My cell phone doesn't have much storage space for pics, so that wasn't a viable option, either.

And I really wish I had brought it, as I would've loved to have taken decent pics of the Delorean, the Starksy & Hutch car, as well as the fellow walking around in the Master Chief outfit (he did a really good job on it).

I would've liked to have gotten some candid pics of both Brent Spiner and Adam Baldwin during their Q&A panels, maybe even have gotten some video. They were both very funny, down to earth and casual with the fans.

One kewl thing about Brent's Q&A was, at one point, he took out his cell phone and called his mother to wish her a Happy Mother's Day, right on stage! He even had the audience wish her one as well, lol.

At the end of the day, I did manage to get a photo op with both Brent and Adam (wanted to get one with John De Lancie too, but that was during Adam's Q&A), as well as Brent's autograph on said pic, and Marina Sirtis' autograph. And I got to shake John's hand in passing, at least.

Prop-wise, I got myself the Doctor's Journal of Impossible Things with The Master's Ring to add to my meager Doctor Who collection.

All in all, for Ottawa's first ever Comic Con event, I'd say it was pretty good. I think I'm going to go for the full weekend pass next time though, so I can get all the guest photo ops and autographs I want. Kinda had to pick and choose this time around.

Here's a few taken by family member I'm the ARF clone wife is the Boussh

OttawaComiCon067.jpg

son, wife, myself and Jeremy Bulloch!!!!
OttawaComiCon070.jpg

OttawaComiCon058.jpg

OttawaComiCon110.jpg

Sorry all the others I was able to get were of myself and Garrison members....

We also managed to raise nearly $6900 for Children's Wish Foundation on our blaster range and photo op booths!!!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back