"Original" "Lightsabers"

staermose

Sr Member
Yesterday I found these "Original" "Lightsabers"
I'm 45, and as a kid kid, had one identical to the larger one. Probably not exactly the same. But the aesthetic is close enough.
I'm considering installing hardware, to make the able to have a blade that light up, like a... "real"... saber... ?
I hope you know what I mean. I have never constructed a saber before, so the terms are a little fuzzy.

Have any of you used an old flash light as base for a saber? Or something other found object, that isn't normally used for this.

5OcHCbi.jpg

In the 70s(!), I tried to make a lightsaber with a plastic Eveready flashlight and a broomstick. However, I couldn't figure out how to get the broomstick to stay in the handle so I abandoned the project.

If you scroll down to the bottom of this page, you'll see the type of flashlight I had:

I don't have the most vivid memories of what it looked like, but my grandfather had a similar all metal flashlight that I was always commandeering when I was over there lol. I thought it looked like Luke's ROTJ lightsaber *shrug*. This was around '83-'85. He would get so angry with me lol.

I have one Graflex style saber that uses the a cut down vintage Eveready flashlight as the bottom half. The bottom end is slightly flared to the point where I initially used thick mounting foam for the grips, but ultimately opted with moving the grips a bit up from the end. The stamp on the end does a fair job of emulating a legit flashgun.

Hey staermose ! Looks like fun! Here's a couple of links if you need any inspiration...

I'm 99% certain I've seen a vintage flashlight converted into a lightsaber with a blade holder, soundcard, speaker, etc., I'm just running low on Boolean-Fu tonight and couldn't find what I'm thinking of.

You could be the first Neo-Pixel Vintage Flashlight-saber builder though if you choose to go that route with it! ShtokyD is creating some really cool Neo-Pixel parts over at the FX-Sabers Forum... First ever lit pogo Neopixel Blade Connectors! No more neopixel blade plugs! - page 1 - New Ideas and Technologies - FX-Sabers.com

Depending on the inner diameter of your flashlight you could possibly use something from The Custom Saber Shop for your Blade Holder...

You might even be able to drop in a MHS V2 parts built saber straight into the flashlight (again, depending on its inner diameter).

Good Luck on your Flashlightsaber!

I’ve seen lots of found objects turned into sabers over the years for fun. Easiest/cheapest way will be to buy an LGT core from one of the resellers, all the components connect with quick connectors and can be removed from the chassis, with the exception of the batty holder. you can then print or fabricate a custom chassis to fit the flashlight

Love it! I did a lot of that stuff when I was younger too.

The broom comment made me want to say this. Remember thats the same problem the real star wars team had. If you stuff the handle with something, you can get a tang embedded in it so you can affix a hollow blade. OR get the blade itself down in the handle

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back