Original c3po with two gold legs and silver shoulder - prototype?

Mulbin

In my search for reference material documentary. The 3po costume is off though. Has two gold legs and a silvery shoulder and hands (with missing hand pistons). I can’t find the photos now to confirm but is this the prototype suit used in the pre-production press photos? I seem to remember that had no silver leg and oddly discoloured hands.

Also, what the hell is the set they are on??

I don't think prototype parts have anything to do with it, it's just part of the weird period right after ANH when they cobbled together whatever production-made parts they could for character appearances. During this time, Threepio had silver on the wrong leg (not both)--it's that way in every appearance until ESB. I wouldn't say the other parts are silverish, they're just variances in finish/weathering.

Here we go, found them. Certainly seems to be this suit which I’ve always seen credited as an early production suit from 1976. Same silver hand backs with missing pistons, silvery shoulder etc, generally much more varied gold finish which I think they ditched for the film. This is the suit on vintage standees and I think was the suit that went out in 1976 press packs (the one with the out-take of Han Solo shooting himself in the head).

iHoDckx.jpg

M4hyIOO.jpg

I don't understand your question anymore.
"Early production 1976" would apply to every protocol droid part made for the film. They would make different finishes for different droids, and refinish them again. This resulted in a lot of color variance, but it if was gold-ISH, it was a pass for putting on a Threepio suit, especially for publicity purposes. Again apart from the (wrong) leg I don't see silver in the places you're noting. Just a different gold finish. (Post-ROTJ publicity photos did have a silver hand and shorts, though.)

Yes, those photos are the same suit from the post-ANH period we're discussing. It was used for everything--photos, personal appearances, TV appearances, etc. Impossible to say whether every single part was used as Threepio in the film, or exclusively for other droids. When they got back, it was "parts is parts".

These are from the Chronicles book.

They are in the chronicles book... but they're not "from" it. They are 1970s photos, been around forever.

They are from original press photos as I said. Here is one of the Han Solo shots (also used in chronicles) from the same press pack from the 1970s.

SV58yKo.jpg

I don't understand your question anymore.
"Early production 1976" would apply to every protocol droid part made for the film. They would make different finishes for different droids, and refinish them again. This resulted in a lot of color variance, but it if was gold-ISH, it was a pass for putting on a Threepio suit, especially for publicity purposes. Again apart from the (wrong) leg I don't see silver in the places you're noting. Just a different gold finish. (Post-ROTJ publicity photos did have a silver hand and shorts, though.)

Yes, those photos are the same suit from the post-ANH period we're discussing. It was used for everything--photos, personal appearances, TV appearances, etc. Impossible to say whether every single part was used as Threepio in the film, or exclusively for other droids. When they got back, it was "parts is parts".

I was just asking if it was the same set. Which it clearly is (with the exception of the head which is the dented version), same silver (sorry, they are) hand back, undrilled so never had their pistons, same patchy gold on legs, same gun-metal looking shoulder bell. So rather than throwing sets together as needed, they clearly had this consistent set.

I had always been led to believe these shots were from early 1976 during production as is the norm with press photos (to promote an upcoming movie), and this suit was used as it was expendable compared to the ones they where shooting with, which would mean this suit was a pre ANH reject that survived to become a post ANH documentary star.

I've kind of answered the first question by digging out the photos and confirming to my satisfaction its the same suit.... but I guess the new question is, where these not the original pre ANH press photos?

And question 2, that's driving my more insane, is still... what the hell is the film set they are on?

I think you're getting confused with the multiple uses of the word "set" in this thread... "SET of C-3PO costume pieces" vs. "film SET"...

Treadwell has answered your questions, you just need to be thinking about what he's referring to when you read... :lol:

There is a clear difference between the publicity photos taken during production and those from post-production/release.

We know that Bob Seidemann came in to shoot more publicity photos after the movie was out, probably to allow more variety for licensing and publicity. There are the photos of Hamill post-facial surgery, with the longer hair, different belt, and HOLIDAY SPECIAL lightsaber, as well as shots of him in the X-Wing pilot suit, as well as wearing the Stormtrooper belt and brandishing a Stormtrooper blaster. There’s also Harrison Ford with his shorter, FORCE 10 FROM NAVARONE haircut (both with Solo’s belt and the Greedo Killer, as well as with the Stormtrooper belt and blaster), and Kermit Eller in the Vader suit, holding the Kobold “lightsaber” (or not at all in some photos).

It seems clear that they used surviving costumes and props from production, but also fabricated new props and such to replace those that were missing, such as the lightsabers and Luke’s belt. It seems likely that the Threepio suit seen in these photos (and in the MAKING OF STAR WARS TV special) was thrown together from various bits and pieces without attention to fine detail or matching details seen in the movie (like the silver leg).

interesting thread, I have not heard this type of thread for a very long time. I think I my uncle said that this type of thread was gone. Well its not gone, not yet. Do you read this type of thread? Of course I do, I am a Star Wars nerd.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back