Original 221b baker street key < pic > sherlock holmes

VoiceMan

Here is a pic of the original key to 221B Baker street....Can anyone suggest an idea about how to go and have this created from SHAPEWAYS or whoever...??? I think this is a VERY worthy prop that needs to be made for us collectors...i have an ebay new style version and its ok...but this would be amazing...<< id do the metal from bronze>>

Thanks Guys...

Jeremy. 5946694107_1592c7dff4 221b.jpg

Last edited:
Of course Ive only seen just the pic...so I dont know the dimensions exact... but most keys like that from that period are about 4 inches in length....Maybe 4.5 inches. And going from there the other other dimensions could be roughly scaled / guessed.

Here is a High Res Image I found...Is very detaileddsc_0315.jpg I think 4 inches in total length would be a good close guess..I need to measure my Return To Oz key..I think would be a good length.

Any idea ?? any word on how to do this...? Im socially retarded I guess when it comes to making a 3D Image WHATEVERS... but Im sure this technology is how we could make this prop into reality....out of BRONZE

I just need someone with some insight to tell me how to make this into a reality.

I was born in 1975 so ya Ive grown up with Sherlock Holmes...grew up reading the books..and tv shows and movies...i have a few sherlock items <<<not as much as others here or other places of course>>>.....ive never seen this made or reproduced before but I would love to see it done....

Do I need to contact someone at ShapeWays...? ? ? Im serious about this project

Shapeways does not do designing, they are a printing service bureau only. You might try finding something similar there or on Thingiverse and contacting the artist directly and see if they can help you out.

Thanks guys for the info... Once I get this figured out and all then i will post a note to let you all know they are available for purchase. thanks again

Should have something for you by tonight.
BTW - Is this the "prop" from the first movie or is this the real thing from the actual address that ACD took inspiration from?

WOW....great job to the both of you...what you guys do is something Id love to learn to do....true talent indeed, much respect for ya fellas <<im assuming you both are guys...lol....i know there are some girlz on here too>>... i think i can find a small wooden box as pictured and antique style at TJ MAXX <<seen em there b4>>....or TK MAXX for those of you in Europe. ..they sell alot of ""aged antique look items etc""

Last edited:
This is the original actual key to 221B.... << ever used on screen in a movie or tv show....that i dont know...yet i certainly doubt it >>

Great job to the both of ya's...thats good true talent there....talent i dont have ..wish i did....would love to learn how to do it <or at learn some basics at least> sometime soon id love to learn tho for certain.......my talent is audio engineering...about 15 yrs ago i developed 3D Audio < kinda on accident > its a formula for adjusting left and right audio channels...basically one can hear most any given audio <especially on headphones> in a 3D format...and has been used in many areas of national advertising...mostly during the voiceover recording/editing process in national tv commercials and movie trailers...keep up the great work guys...and to the few of you girlz here as well....Cheers

Thanks for the kudos. As for learning, I drew mine in a program called Sketchup. Its free and very easy to learn. Ill look into the changes you mentioned when I get a chance later this evening.
As an aside, did you know that there was no real 221b Baker street at the time ACD wrote Sherlock Holmes? Baker street in London did not go that far until the 1900's when the road was extended to include the 221 address. I'm curious to know where the key came from. Is it part of the Holmes museum?

Nice work. I can't tell from the photos, but the barrel of the key is often hollow, did you notice this on the 221-B key?

Interesting about the historical geography - I suppose the ACD wanted to make the location fictitious, but sound real.

David

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back