Opinion HELP! Millennium Falcon perfect grade

DARTH SABER

Master Member
So, im in the process of building my Falcon PG and my intention has always been to use a custom made camera mount for the display.
Since the rod will go inside the underbelly gunport I will need to sacrifice the details of this cockpit so now Im having second thoughts and opting to use the Bandai display stand instead.

Any opinions??
pro and con list to help in my decision??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20180104_120937.jpg

I don't mind losing the bottom gunbay.

Here's a little comparison.
20180104_121108.jpg
20180104_121310.jpg

I initially made the custom mount because I was worried the falcon would fall off of the bandai stand, and also because it would be easier to paint the bottom of the ship if I could mount it upside down. But after I made the modification, I was really happy with how unobtrusive a single rod holding up the model is. It sells the "flying" look more, and I think it gives the bottom half an opportunity to be seen.

I always strive for the smallest/least obvious stand I can so as to not distract from the model itself. I try to portray my ships as though they're in flight, and a big multi legged stand interferes with that impression.

Through that prism:

Kit stand pros: Sturdy, Easy, Will work, Doesn't require modifications to model, no extra cost.
Kit stand cons: big, distracts from model, doesn't allow dynamic pose or display.

I suspect that the notion of an underbelly support at the gun port is so popular because that's how ILM did it. However, that was a practical consideration and not a display consideration. They supported it many ways of course, depending on the shot requirements. We all know this of course, but it bears reminding ourselves of.

I'd be tempted to simply move the support point aft on the ship and avoid the need to alter the gunport at all, at least not the interior parts of it.

I won't be staring my PG Falcon for at least a year, but I'm watching all the builds with interest to see what other notions come out.

Thanks for the input!

Also need to figure out where to get a plexi acrylic base for the mount if I decide to go with it.

I like the smaller rod better, but would also drive me crazy to have a piece not added. Is there a way to have the rod in another place with a small hole drilled in?

Just to clarify, the only piece that would be missing with my mount is the bottom gun. The piece that holds the gun in place is not on my model because I have not put it on yet. But still, mounting it this way means I will probably never use the bottom gun.

Just to clarify, the only piece that would be missing with my mount is the bottom gun. The piece that holds the gun in place is not on my model because I have not put it on yet. But still, mounting it this way means I will probably never use the bottom gun.

When I get mine,....I'll be mounting it this way,....I can see the top quad gun.....no need to see the bottom one

Besides this is how ILM display the 5 footer & the 32"

....Disney however.....this is how the Launch Bay TFA Falcon is displayed

Star-Wars-Launch-Bay-Millennium-Falcon-650x450.jpg

J

Last edited:
If the missing gunbay detail is troubling, you could use the cover where the gun mounts for sure. Make that fasten in place with a magnet, and use it to cover a small hole for a narrow metal shaft.

Why not use a clear acrylic rod, or design a stand(in clear acrylic) and have it cut by a lasersmith.
That way you'd get good support and not have to alter your model.

I'm looking forward to someone making a good acrylic base for it; the provided stand is awfully wobbly for my taste.

View attachment 784918

I don't mind losing the bottom gunbay.

Here's a little comparison.
View attachment 784919
View attachment 784920

I initially made the custom mount because I was worried the falcon would fall off of the bandai stand, and also because it would be easier to paint the bottom of the ship if I could mount it upside down. But after I made the modification, I was really happy with how unobtrusive a single rod holding up the model is. It sells the "flying" look more, and I think it gives the bottom half an opportunity to be seen.

Is that a bendable gooseneck? How'd you attach it to the model?

Guys, I missed this thread and I really want to mount my Falcon like this - would hugely appreciate any tips/info.

Is that a bendable gooseneck? How'd you attach it to the model?

Guys, I missed this thread and I really want to mount my Falcon like this - would hugely appreciate any tips/info.

For mine, I just cut a spare piece of wood on a scroll saw to fit in the falcon, drilled a hole, and then put a 1/4-20 insert in the hole. Other people on the forum have used 3d printing, but I wanted to save my money since I had the materials.

And no, it's not bendable, just a 1/4-20 rod.

Got the idea from the user Lab in this thread, just scroll down a little bit https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=262348&page=65

Woah, how'd you put that together so fast?! What mount is that and how'd you attach it to the model?

THeres a member on here called Lab, he created a 3D model for the bracket that goes on the inside of the Falcon.
He uploaded the file on one of the posts on the 1/72 Millennium Falcon thread, and i had my friend print it up.
I had to make some minor modifications to the bracket since I decided to use a camera mount with a smaller stem than the one he used, but aside from that it works perfectly-
Thanks Lab!

064890ddac6b6985ee72c1b0a570bfa5.jpg

Cool, thanks very much for this info. I actually DO vaguely remember seeing Lab's post a while back about that now. I'll see if the link to download still works.

I was thinking of using one of the aft landing gear bays as the 'inflight' mounting point. That way, can have a custom fit bay door for a neater appearance and without sacrificing the turret detail.
Regards, Robert

Last edited:
Can someone direct me to the 3D file link, or better still print one for me and let me cover costs? I do not have access to a printer to make this sucker.. Thanks in advance!
K

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back