One of my holy grails completed!

Funky

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
For the old timers, Wayne (Propreplicator) inspired me to acquire this piece. Sadly, he passed away several years ago but this prop has always been on my mind.
When you think about "iconic props" this will surely come to mind.
You see, 18 years ago I went to my first prop party. It was Wayne's. He had an original Packard Bell Gilligan's Island radio. Though it wasn't converted, it was always on my mind as I loved the show and I always wanted "the radio".
I managed last year to get two! TWO! Do you know how rare these cheap AM radios are to get?!
I present my finished version of the "radio". (Another coming to the junkyard near you for sale)

I miss you, Wayne.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    213.6 KB · Views: 651
What had to be converted to make it accurate? It looks pretty stock to the untrained eye.

Just need to add the handle on top and the antenna. Neither are original. They were added by the show's prop guys. The handle is still readily available at hardware stores for a couple bucks, though there's some lunatic on eBay selling them for $25. The correct antenna still hasn't been ID'd, but thats a tiny detail. I have a couple of these myself. Still haven't converted them because I'm waiting for a close enough antenna. One of them I got from eBay and the other I got cheap from a pawn shop while on vacation.

There's also the painting. Unless it's been sitting in a box for 50 years it will need to be painted. They came in a few different colors but even the white will have dis colored after so much time. This particular one used to be white but was yellow when it got to my hands. So painting, drawer handle and antenna. Plus I had to replace a couple of capacitors so now it even works great!

nice find funky!

i came across a video a couple days ago showing how to restore yellowing plastic back to white....it would be much better then painting it!

might be helpful to others with other rpf projects!!!! :)

link here:

I thought you guys would appreciate this. This "coconut" cup and the "bamboo" glass are what they actually used on the show. Not screen used, mind you, but actual vintage off the shelf pieces that they bought and used. Screen matches were very easy. The Howell's drank out of the bamboo while everyone else drank from the coconuts. Bothe are made of porcelain. They are uncommon to find in good condition.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    236 KB · Views: 203
nice find funky!

i came across a video a couple days ago showing how to restore yellowing plastic back to white....it would be much better then painting it!

might be helpful to others with other rpf projects!!!! :)

link here:

I'm familiar with the process. I've tried this before. Trust me when I say, the work involved with the "un-yellowing" is very labor intensive. Painting it is much easier and you get more even results. Life's too short. Get to the desired result as quickly as possible. Plus, it will never yellow again.

I haven't noticed any yellowing with the two I own. They aren't stark white either, but no yellowing.

I haven't noticed any yellowing with the two I own. They aren't stark white either, but no yellowing.

Yeah, I'm not convinced that PB actually made a "white" radio. More of a slight cream, off white. I went with a stark white as that's what everyone sees in their minds eye when they think of the radio.

My minds eye sees a B & W image that could not convey any nuanced color. Besides, the real Screen Used prop might be a bit off-color now anyway.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back