Once Upon a Time in Hollywood Costuming Thread (Rick & Cliff)

Did anyone else notice that Rick Dalton's cowboy hat that he used in "Bounty Law" was the same as the 11th doctor's preferred Stetson! The Hutchins Stetson.

I found mine like a couple of months after the first images of the jacket started popping up. Same exact model as the screen jacket. Size 44. There are several similar models, but they all have different details. Took time to snag the right one. Couldnt find the sunglasses. Definitely on the hunt now lol

Attachments

• Cliff jacket 1.JPG
    Cliff jacket 1.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 208
  • Cliff jacket 2.JPG
    Cliff jacket 2.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 284
  • Cliff jacket 3.JPG
    Cliff jacket 3.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 269
By the way guys. Wanted to throw something at you all fellow RPF'ers. So I was a big part of the Fight Club thread, which discovered a ton of the wardrobe and accessories used in the film.. So after OUATIH came out, the subject of the sunglasses was up for debate. They were said to have been acquired from Old Focals in Southern California. After several people messaged Old Focals, those people were told that the frames were a " one off " and that it was impossible to find another pair. As I've had to say many times to us Film wardrobe and accessory collectors, try not to believe the BS that circles the internet. Especially when it comes from somewhere that the BS is beneficial to. I was almost immediately sure the frames wouldn't be true to the early 60's, and was absolutely, positively sure they weren't a " one off ". At most, I believed they may have been a custom frame made for Pitt. Now we know that isn't true. Just wanted to throw that out to you guys. Stuff like t-shirts and shirts ( Hawaiian shirt and Champion shirt ) often need to be replicated, so it makes much more sense to just have them recreated by experts. The jackets and stuff like that are more difficult to replicate. To end this, I'll mention that I'm almost 100% certain that the custom lenses they had made for the Cliff shades, are high quality non-reflective, medium/dark tint, glass lenses. glass always work better for the look of the lenses, and non-reflective lenses are essential when they're going to be used in a film, where the camera is in the actor's face.

Thanks man! Happy to have some clarity on it now, at any rate!

Cliff would be so much fun to go as for Halloween! I’d love to see photos of your getup when the time comes!

And that Red Monkey strap looks pretty straight forward to recreate if you wanted to take a stab at it!

I would LOVE to see someone tackle the flame thrower rig and costume! haha I hope somebody does!

In other news, I’ve made some progress on identifying Rick’s leather blazer! Just waiting to find the exact one now! Here’s a little teaser:
View attachment 1047401

And just for fun, here’s a photo of some of my Cliff getup!
View attachment 1047409
Hope you’re all enjoying the weekend!
Where did you find the sunglasses I have looked all ove rand cant find them

These were on eBay for a while, the starting bids of $20 were affordable, but once they started clearing a hundred bucks for one, I was out. Anyone know who makes them?

Attachments

• 0081F47B-365C-4757-B22B-BEB5F4D640D1.png
    0081F47B-365C-4757-B22B-BEB5F4D640D1.png
    2 MB · Views: 882
These were on eBay for a while, the starting bids of $20 were affordable, but once they started clearing a hundred bucks for one, I was out. Anyone know who makes them?
The buckles are commissions made on a website called quality lapel pins. they make custom belt buckles. you have to send in a commission of what you want and they'll mold it for you. i guess somebody bought a couple and started selling them.

Yeah, I saw those too. Thanks for the info Graham, that’s good to know! Would’ve been great at $20, but they got too steep for me, too. Still hoping maybe there’s an official replica someday.

Last edited:
They are definitely not Minnetonka as they have fringe on them

Taos all the way
Great info from you all here. Just noticed the fringe on the Minnetonka being the only (apparent) difference, yet can't find the Taos resembling Cliff's anywhere online. Wonder if they're possibly Minnetonka (women's) with the fringes removed? As an aside I've still not found out the significance of the name 'BETTY' in white letters painted on the side of Rick's Sadie scorching flamethrower?

So I got one of those Hawaiian shirts from Senshi and they’re really dope. Great quality. rayon fabric. Fit is really great. Not exactly as short as Pitt’s was, but his was custom made. I recommend it.

For those still looking for it I just got my stuntmen's association buckle off Amazon for $20. The cliff booth version with member at the bottom. My only bit pick is the way it attaches to your belt is on the right instead of the usual left. Aside from that it's pretty legit. The stuntmen's association is also selling 2020 commemorative once for $50 and $9 shipping. That one says Hollywood at the bottom. Not really screen accurate but really really cool

For those still looking for it I just got my stuntmen's association buckle off Amazon for $20. The cliff booth version with member at the bottom. My only bit pick is the way it attaches to your belt is on the right instead of the usual left. Aside from that it's pretty legit. The stuntmen's association is also selling 2020 commemorative once for $50 and $9 shipping. That one says Hollywood at the bottom. Not really screen accurate but really really cool
what did you look up on amazon to get the screen accurate belt buckle. I've tried everything but i'm only seeing the buckle that says hollywood on the bottom

I thought this was cool and wanted to share. Came across this photo of the late great Patrick Swayze wearing an authentic SA buckle.

Attachments

• 35F4F3F9-62A4-40B6-9372-FBA65BDF961A.png
    35F4F3F9-62A4-40B6-9372-FBA65BDF961A.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 214

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back