Once and for all - What is the BEST to mix paint with?

seviz

Ok once and for all. What is the best mix for painting a latex mask? Is it prosaide and acrylic paint? Is it permawet and acrylic paint? Or is it latex base and acrylic paint?

Searching brings up all of the above solutions. But who has done either or and has now had their mask for a while? How is your mask holding up using these three ways? Any cracking?

I will be using acrylic paint from Michaels (Thanks for the tip predatrhunter!).

Thanks for any feedback.

As of right now my plan is this:

Layer 1 - Latex base on mask mixed with water. Then all following coats are the paint plus latex base and water.

I use prosaide mixed with acrylic. Usually half and half, but that depends on your airbrush. If your airbrush gets gummed up, clean it and dilute it with water so that the paint/prosaide flows through the airbrush

Permawet is usually the last layer put on (with nothing mixed in) and is applied straight on with a brush - be careful to not get bubbles

There is NO final solution, and many people do it different to what you or i may like.

As Jason said permawet is a top coat AFTER you have painted. BUT i use my cheapo airbrush to apply it.

Personally i hate putting prosaide/adhesive in my Iwata, so i have a cheapo airbrush that i use to spray a layer of NEAT prosaide on the mask 1st, then base coat of normal/straight inks throught my Iwata, then prosaide again before the layers start, occassionally i will touch the mask to check it is still tacky, and if it is not i will spray another layer of prosaide.

youll probably find alot of other people do it different again , and use latex in the mix etc, but latex will make your colours darken over time.

so there is NO ONE way :D its whatever works for you i guess.

I have come to the conclusion the most used way to paint is to do a layer or prosaide, then mix paint and prosaide for each layer after. Currently I only have latex paint base on hand. If I do a layer of latex base and then mix the paint with latex base I understand the issue is that over time the latex will change color due to uv light and such. But later if I paint over all of this properly with prosaide and such would that adhere ok?

I am thinking of having a test run with what I have on hand. I really want to get my hands dirty with the painting but want to make sure I am not ruining my option to do it "right" later on.

Thanks!

It should stick fine as the prosaide is basically rubbery adhesive, personally id paint the mask with neat prosaide 1st to get a good bond.

Maybe try a spare peice of latex 1st to be 100% sure.

It should stick fine as the prosaide is basically rubbery adhesive, personally id paint the mask with neat prosaide 1st to get a good bond.

Maybe try a spare peice of latex 1st to be 100% sure.

When you say, "NEAT". What do you mean? Do you mean a type of prosaide? Or do you mean neat as in prosaide alone with no mix added to it?

Thanks for the help as always.

Neat as in plain out of the jar prosaide, not diluted and nothing added.

still think if you are in doubt you should do a test peice. :)

The problem is I do not have any prosaide. I ordered latex paint base originally. So I was thinking I had everything to paint just to learn I messed up on the prosaide part. So my impatient butt was trying to see if I could just do a test run with what I have and do it right once the prosaide gets here. Monstermakers has been slow for me recently. Taking a couple weeks to get stuff one state over so I am hesitant to wait. My DB P1 is lookin at me very mean. He wants to be brought to life!

I did do a test on the neckring as it was all black. I figured that piece is ok if it darkens over time as its already black. But it all stuck on very good. Great end result.

Actually from what alot of latex mask painters Ive spoke to dont even use prosaide. They all tell me it is for adhearing foam latex appliances to skin and is for temporary use and not to be used on latex masks or costumes that are going to get flexed alot. They reccomended just the latex masks paints or latex paint base mixed with the acrylic paints just like you were using. Thats all I use is monstermakers latex paint base on my stuff and its all heald up fine. Allthough alot of people here seem to like the prosaide method I never had much luck with it and it allways clogged the **** out of my airbrushes. I know Jordu Schell just paints his latex masks with FX acrylic inks thinned with alchohol and no latex base or prosaide. Course the stuff Ive seen him paint isnt ment to be stretched alot like a costume would. But if all you have is the latex paint base from monstermakers that will work just fine once you seal it with permawet you shouldnt have any problems with it flaking off.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back