On Hand Materials, Old Parts, Junk Parks Hellboy Mecha-Glove Build

Helpful Nerd

Sr Member
Like many of you I’ve been wanting to tackle a Hellboy Mecha-Glove prop replica. That said I’ve put it off for quite some time due to work, time and funds.

I found this thread started by JOATRASH FX, with lots of great reference pics shared by other RPF members and lots of info provided by asavage, JOATRASH FX and other fellow RPF members, and it got me thinking…

http://www.therpf.com/f9/hellboy-rasputin-mecha-glove-project-101446/?highlight=mecha-glove

Instead of making a super accurate replica, what if I made a Mecha-Glove from parts on hand, junk parts, hardware store parts and some creativity? This is the challenge. That being said, there are some parts that I want to be as close as possible so I’ve considered 3D printing some parts, and making some cast resin parts.

I have nothing but respect for joatrash and asavage for tackling an amazingly accurate replica. I personally like the challenge of “what could I use for this part instead?” type of thinking.

I’ve put together a binder of reference photos and dedicated a new notebook to sketches, doodles and ideas.

And I’ve been working on some of the parts already. Tonight I am doing more work on it and I’ll post some WIP pics for ya’lls consideration.

So far these are the materials that I have that will be used first:

- Foam Core Board
- Wooden thread spools (compliments of my pops)
- Plastic cigar tubes with a round bottom - 54 ring gauge (recent eBay find)
- Two types of scrap leather (cow hide and upholstery leather)
- Roofing flashing
- Rivets
- Thin wire
- Bondo
- Spray paint
- Silver leaf rub-n-buff
- on hand greblies and doohickies
- parts from a 1950’s / 1960’s in-wall mounted radio system and speakers that where in-wall mounted too. This was taken out of house my dad is renovating. Fret not, I didn’t tear a part a working radio ;)

My Dad is a carpenter, wood artist, contractor, picker and junk collector. I told him about this project and he suggested the idea to do my very best for accuracy but to have fun with it and make it my own. So this is the plan. This will certainly be an adventure.

Thanks for reading

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple progress pics.

I'm using some old wooden thread spools for the pieces that go inside the "glass" pieces for the fingers and I'm using plastic cigar tubes for the "glass" pieces for the fingers.

Gotta sand the cut spools, I'll post pics of those soon too. Then I'm thinking a little bondo on the spools to fill in some places, sand that, prime and paint.

plastic cigar tubes and wooden thread spools.jpgfinger piece plastic with wooden spool.jpg

Creative minds thinks alike!

Feel free to chime in, and share your build here too.

The test tubes, and cigar tubes are perfect for the finger tip parts. :D

Cheers

All the spools are cut and the cigar tubes are cut as well.

finger tips.jpg

I hit the spools with a quick coat of primer. This will allow me to see the remaining flaws that need to be filled in with a light coat of bondo. Then some sanding, primer, gloss black and finally silver. Then some rub -n- buff.

primed spools.jpg

I also constructed the main arm tube out of roofing flashing. I used contact cement to hold the metal where it overlaps and let that setup for a few hours with clamps. The glue was only to hold it together while I drilled holes for the rivets.

clamped arm tube.jpgrivet size test.jpg

That's all for now.

Got some more work done. Been working on the "spinning gear" I decided to use form core board to make the general shape of the top and bottom and EVA foam for the sides with the windows for the brass pieces. I'll be coating it with bondo to smooth it out and provide some structure. And after the bondo is done I'll sand it, prime it and paint it.

Still needs some more work, including the brass for the windows. But I think I found the perfect thing for that. We'll see...:lol

wrong trace.jpgfirst cut ring.jpgcorrect trace.jpgcut rings.jpginner outer windows.jpgcompleted spinning gear thing.jpg

That's it for now. Tonight I'll be working on the millenbaugh motivator, again I'm going to use form core board for that too.

Got some more work done. This time on the millenbaugh motivator.

Here it is so far.

motivator 1.jpgmotivator 2.jpgmotivator 3.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

My friend, fellow RPFer inkblot 3D modeled the metal "cages" that get attached to the spinning gear section. Here's a preview.

3D printing one of these, then casting resin copies to go on the glove.

Thanks inkblot!!! Looks great!

metal cages for spinning gear 3D modeled by inkblot.jpeg

More progress. This time I made a cardboard template for the leather that goes above the "spinning gear" and cut out the leather for this section of the glove.

My Dad gave me this leather almost a year ago for a different project, I think he gave it to me back when I was working on my Grail Diary, but it was too thick for that project.

I stashed the leather in my closet and now I have a perfect use for it on this project.

I learned that the top that screws onto my salt and pepper shaker is almost the exact size I needed to trace a circle that gets cut out in the leather. I also learned that I should have traced the cardboard template on the BACK of the leather, not the front :facepalm

It's not ruined, but I'll have to get rid of the black trace lines.

That's it for now.

cardboard template 1.jpgpepper shaker stencil.jpgleather size test.jpgleather 2.jpgleather 1.jpgcutting leather.jpgcardboard template finished.jpgcardboard template 3.jpgcardboard template 2.jpgtemplate size test.jpg

Wow your charging ahead there I've only got as far as the finger tips. Couple of Commission jobs to do so mine had been out on hold.

when walking round my one of my fav shops here in UK for prop build items (not naming names but they sell items for around £1 lol) I found some test tube aliens toys, gardening gloves and red strummer cable. Now I know most people wouldn't think mecha glove but I did.
image.jpg
I cut the tubes down to make the finger tips then used 5mm Eva foam and card to make the spindles and wrapped the cable round them. Just need to find the screws to add details to tops not and fix then to the glove.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Wow your charging ahead there I've only got as far as the finger tips. Couple of Commission jobs to do so mine had been out on hold.

when walking round my one of my fav shops here in UK for prop build items (not naming names but they sell items for around £1 lol) I found some test tube aliens toys, gardening gloves and red strummer cable. Now I know most people wouldn't think mecha glove but I did.
View attachment 433794
I cut the tubes down to make the finger tips then used 5mm Eva foam and card to make the spindles and wrapped the cable round them. Just need to find the screws to add details to tops not and fix then to the glove.
View attachment 433798View attachment 433797View attachment 433796View attachment 433795View attachment 433799View attachment 433800

WOW! Lookin' good! :cool

I've already committed to my plastic cigar tubes, but man if I had found those alien toy tubes they would have worked great!

I painted the thread spools that I'm using for my finger tips and I've been going over the silver paint with some rub-n-buff so I can polish them a bit more. I'll post more pics shortly.

Been slammed with client work this past week. Should have a whole day in the shop this weekend! Wahoo! I look forward to that.

Also, might I suggest welding gloves as your base glove. I found a pair of brown welding gloves at Lowes (not sure what the UK equivalent would be) and one of those gloves will be the base on mine. I think the ones I got where like $10 bucks. But the gloves you got should work well too. Did you save the receipt just in case? :lol

I'll be posting more progress shortly. I'm really glad someone else appreciates the "found parts / recycled parts" method!

WOW! Lookin' good! :cool

I've already committed to my plastic cigar tubes, but man if I had found those alien toy tubes they would have worked great!

I'll be posting more progress shortly. I'm really glad someone else appreciates the "found parts / recycled parts" method!

yeah the tubes are great I'm gona use them for the valves too. Got a big project I need to get finished and couple of jobs for other people then I'll be back on this soon.

I love your project and attitude! You don't have to be screen accurate down to the last dent to enjoy making props. There's lot of fun to be had in cobbling together something that satisfies yourself. After all, you are the one who it's made for.

Carry on! I can't wait to see what you come up with.

I love your project and attitude! You don't have to be screen accurate down to the last dent to enjoy making props. There's lot of fun to be had in cobbling together something that satisfies yourself. After all, you are the one who it's made for.

Carry on! I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Thanks, I appreciate the support. It's like my Dad told me "Make it as close as you can get it, but put your touch on it and just have fun". He's a wise man. :D

I have to take some more pictures and post another update on things that I've done / parts that I've acquired.

So, stay tuned. More to come.

Time for another update.

I painted the wooden spools silver, and I've been going over that with silver leaf rub n buff. I also found a pair of womans leather boots at the thrift store near my apartment, I got 'em because the leather looks perfect for some lighter colored leather that goes around the fingers, thumb and part of the back of the main glove.

Also got the red wire that I ordered that I'll be wrapping around the spools for the finger tips.

That's it for now. I think next I'll be finishing the other main leather pieces, and finishing the "spinning gear" piece with the metal cages which is going to be 3D printed and then copies will be cast in resin.

Thanks for reading.

painted finger tip pieces.jpgrub n buff on finger piece.jpgwire for finger tip piece 2.jpgwire for finger tip piece.jpgwomans boots for the leather 2.jpgwomans boots for the leather 3.jpgwomans boots for the leather.jpg

Printed parts for the cage showed up here last week and are their way to HelpfulNerd now. In hindsight, there is an edge on the bottom of the dome that should be flat; i must remember to fix that for any future printings. Attached are a few shots I took before packing them up and sending out:

IMG_1729.JPGIMG_1730.JPG

Printed parts for the cage showed up here last week and are their way to HelpfulNerd now. In hindsight, there is an edge on the bottom of the dome that should be flat; i must remember to fix that for any future printings. Attached are a few shots I took before packing them up and sending out:

View attachment 446357View attachment 446356

Inkblot I love you so much :love

Looks like minimal finish work like sanding, but otherwise I'll be able to make some molds and cast these pretty quickly.

Today I'm having fun with Bondo and doing some more painting. I might be able to get some more leather work done today too. If I put on some good music in my shop to motivate me I might get to some basic assembly of the glove parts.

I'll be posting more pics shortly.

Thanks for all the support y'all. I really appreciate it. ;)

Made some more progress.

I finished working on the wood spools for the finger tips. I wrapped the red wire around them and got one finger tip finished with brass screws, and added the "glass" piece which is made from a plastic cigar tube.

I also got the finished finger tip piece added to the main glove and did more bondo and putty work on the motivator and spinning gear piece. I see lots of sanding in my future. :D

finger tip added to glove.jpgfinger tips with wire wrap.jpgfinished finger tip.jpgmotivator and spinning gear bondo.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back