Old AMT Lights and Sound USS Enterprise Lighting Related Question

patrickivan

Sr Member
Does anyone here have the old Star Trek Lights and Sound Enterprise kit from the late 80's?

And has anyone replaced the lights on it with success?
s
I've got my old system here, and it works. Sounds, and lights. But the lights are old and some are missing. So I'd like to replace them all. But If I do so, I'd like to replace them with more efficient LEDs. The issue is, that there must be a power conversion required for using them.

I'm just curious if anyone has done this, and what LEDs did they use to reflect the power output of the system. I'm not an electronics guy, but I can follow instructions.

I won't hold my breath on this one. But it's this, or no lighting because there is no way in hell I can justify paying for a modern lighting kit. I just can't afford it.

Thanks

Everything that is an LED can be replaced with a similar LED.

To replace the incandescent bulbs, you will need to know the voltage of those - best by measuring with a voltmeter/multimeter.
Since it uses 4x AA Batteries it shouldn't be more than 6 volts. And check the polarity since it doesn't matter for bulbs, but LEDs won't work the wrong way around.

Then you can order LEDs and calculate the resistors needed with something like this https://ohmslawcalculator.com/led-resistor-calculator.

Everything that is an LED can be replaced with a similar LED.

To replace the incandescent bulbs, you will need to know the voltage of those - best by measuring with a voltmeter/multimeter.
Since it uses 4x AA Batteries it shouldn't be more than 6 volts. And check the polarity since it doesn't matter for bulbs, but LEDs won't work the wrong way around.

Then you can order LEDs and calculate the resistors needed with something like this https://ohmslawcalculator.com/led-resistor-calculator.

Thanks. I'm halfway there. Got the multimeter, and a drawer full of resisters.

I am actually decent at soldering and following directions. I just have trouble with retaining the information required for electronic related tasks. Not having a comprehensive understanding of it all. But here and youtube helps.

Well if I did it correctly....

150 ohm resistor for the white micro LEDs. They blew up without it last time. Measured almost 6v to that wire. Guessed 3.15v for those micro LEDs at 20 mA and read 3v on my meter when powered. So I think that 150ohm resistor is correct based on the calculator.

It hasn't blown yet...

Attachments

• 20200911_181449.jpg
    20200911_181449.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 124
  • 20200911_182526.jpg
    20200911_182526.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 139
Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back