odd Harry potter question. (why didnt they just...)

adamata

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
OK, so I love the HP movies and I have listened to the audio books at least 10 times through. I am just now finishing "Half Blood Prince"

So, Dumbledore and HP apperate to the coast, then go down into the cave and then wonder how the heck they are supposed to get across the lake.

Um? cant you teleport yourselves?

Now, I know that there are enchantments in the HP world, like in hogworts, where you cannot apperate, but they didn't even mention this or even TRY!

or how about a levitate spell? or anything else the greatest wizard in the world could figure out?

and then. how did they get out of the cave? the book just has harry bleeding on the door, then they are in Hogsmead. They had to apperate at some point.

Anyway, that just rubbed me wrong. just seemed like the obvious answer

OK, so I love the HP movies and I have listened to the audio books at least 10 times through. I am just now finishing "Half Blood Prince"

So, Dumbledore and HP apperate to the coast, then go down into the cave and then wonder how the heck they are supposed to get across the lake.

Um? cant you teleport yourselves?

Now, I know that there are enchantments in the HP world, like in hogworts, where you cannot apperate, but they didn't even mention this or even TRY!

or how about a levitate spell? or anything else the greatest wizard in the world could figure out?

and then. how did they get out of the cave? the book just has harry bleeding on the door, then they are in Hogsmead. They had to apperate at some point.

Anyway, that just rubbed me wrong. just seemed like the obvious answer

It's been a while since I've read them, but I seem to recall Dumbledor saying something about enchantments in the cave which prevent such simple solutions. Admittedly, I could be wrong. :)

I agree, I think Voldemort put powerful Protego-type spells in the cave so that normal magic would not have the same power or would be inverted or distorted into something else. Once they got out of the cave, they could apparate back to Hogsmeade.

And while you can levitate objects, there's no spell to allow a wizard to fly unaided (regardless of what the films show). Would have been a great time to have a broomstick around, tho.

If you're gonna ask that, then I can ask this:

Why didn't Dumbledore use the time turner to go back and kill Tom Riddle when he was a kid?

And while you can levitate objects, there's no spell to allow a wizard to fly unaided (regardless of what the films show). Would have been a great time to have a broomstick around, tho.

I disagree. There's nothing in the books that says this, and I think the levicorpus spell contradicts this notion. Just like a wand focuses (not creates) a wizards magic, I believe a broom is much the same.

Now, there's nothing that explicitly supports this argument, either.

Now, on topic...

A port key can take you wherever it is intended to take you, to appearate successfully, you must have a clear destination in mind, or run the risk of getting splinched. Though Dumbledore knew of the cave, he was unfamiliar with its interior. Much like in the beginning, when he and Harry appeared in the village outside the house where Horace was staying, instead of in the house, itself.

Well my problem was when Dumbledore wanted water. Harry can make water shoot out of the end of his wand but he just has to dip the cup in the lake. What he couldn't have held his wand up to Dumbledores mouth.

Well my problem was when Dumbledore wanted water. Harry can make water shoot out of the end of his wand but he just has to dip the cup in the lake. What he couldn't have held his wand up to Dumbledores mouth.

Principal Exceptions to Gamp's Law of Elemental Transfiguration

The Principal Exceptions to Gamp's Law of Elemental Transfiguration is a magical theory that states witches or wizards can cook and prepare food using magic, but not create it. Out of the five exceptions, only food is mentioned explicitly in the series.

Or you THINK you know how things happend. Remember when Harry and gang thought buckbeak was killed :( but then when they got back in time, they themself saved him .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsYWT5Q_R_w
Harry was hit by a stone in the back of the head that made the gang leave Hagrid's house, only to go back in time with Hermoine, who threw a stone and hit Harry at the back of his head to make them leave.

So... everything has already happened before you go back.

If Dumbledore went back and killed Voldemort... there would be no movies with seeing, as Voldemort would never have been, made all that mess and killed Harry's parents and given him that scar and transferred some powers to him.

It would have been completely different stories. No villain.

\A port key can take you wherever it is intended to take you, to appearate successfully, you must have a clear destination in mind, or run the risk of getting splinched. Though Dumbledore knew of the cave, he was unfamiliar with its interior. Much like in the beginning, when he and Harry appeared in the village outside the house where Horace was staying, instead of in the house, itself.

To get back to the actual question, I believe Robert has hit the nail on the head.. To Apparate you must remember the three D's.. A clear Destination, which they didn't have, as Dumbledore had never been inside so as Robert said runs the risk of getting splinched.. If they had tried Apparating they could have been stuck in the middle of rock..

To get back to the actual question, I believe Robert has hit the nail on the head.. To Apparate you must remember the three D's.. A clear Destination, which they didn't have, as Dumbledore had never been inside so as Robert said runs the risk of getting splinched.. If they had tried Apparating they could have been stuck in the middle of rock..

I always thought too that there was a strong spell that did not allow them to use most magic, they could use the illumination spell once they were in the cave but not much else until they retrieved the locket.

My main issue has always been if Dumbledore knew about the deathly hallows and the horcrux, why didn't he give Harry more direction before he died? He knew his death was coming and probably who was going to do it and that it was soon, he couldn't have left a note or told Harry something more helpful than what he gave him in his will? :confused

And why would he not make sure someone took and hid the most powerful wand in the world? Surely he could have asked McGonagall or Snape to hid it or switch it out, they did the same thing with the sword, why not the wand? He had the foresight at Harry's birth to put very detailed plans in motion, but at the end it seemed very haphazard.

I think that's because you are missing some small but key events. Dumbledore said that the only way Harry would be strong enough to do what needed to be done, is to not know until the very end.

There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. And sometimes, if you know the path, you'd want to deviate from it, because who in their right mind would choose to walk such a path willingly?

There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. And sometimes, if you know the path, you'd want to deviate from it, because who in their right mind would choose to walk such a path willingly?

I second that! Well said indeed!

Also, it's worth noting that Rowling made Dumbledore one of the most powerful wizards, but she also made him a flawed man. Dumbledore was really too secretive, probably for good reason over the years. But I think that has often made him appear cruel, when in fact, he was just being furtive, covert, and cautious.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back