Nuclear Glowing Rod

jcdrums

After searching for sometime I can't seem to find a thread on this so my apologies if I've overlooked this topic in another!

I'm looking to make a majorly bright neon green-esk nuclear glowing rod to be housed in a case. Looking at around 5-5.5" in length, probably about an inch in diameter but I'm trying to work out the best way to make it glow as bright and clean as possible.

I have a few ideas on how to make the casing for it but my concern is the light being both the correct green over time and of course bright enough to really look nuclear.

Picture for reference though just think of the Simpsons opening credits...

012659029_prevstill.jpeg

Green EL tape rolled into a clear tube might work well. Or a translucent rod with super bright led caps or LEDs inside.

For a spontaneous idea I would go with the following:

I would use a special kind of acrylic tube (which I don't know if it's possible to buy in your area).
The company Roehm which is known for its product Plexiglas has lately widened their range with a new kind of acrylic.
This type allows incoming light to be distributed evently over the whole lenght of the rod.

This: http://www.plexiglas-shop.com/AT/en/rod/plexiglas-led-f6jbh2ymu4c.html
You can even order a free sample of it which may be sufficient in lenght for you :)

Maybe you could add some ultra/mega-bright leds in every end of the rod (hidden inside the caps).

Just my 2 cents... :)
Mario

The trick would be designing the case to hide the LEDs well and diffusing the glow evenly. Does it have to look good when turned off?

The trick would be designing the case to hide the LEDs well and diffusing the glow evenly. Does it have to look good when turned off?

Looking good while off would be a benefit but I guess not imperative...

My original thought was two tubes...one translucent fluorescent green outer tube then an opaque light green inner tube. House the led's in the inner tube then attempt to seal the outer cavity and fill it with a green fluid of sorts that would have the density to conceal the central column for the most part as well as diffuse the light...however I wanted to share with the forum to see if I was over engineering the idea?

Looking good while off would be a benefit but I guess not imperative...

My original thought was two tubes...one translucent fluorescent green outer tube then an opaque light green inner tube. House the led's in the inner tube then attempt to seal the outer cavity and fill it with a green fluid of sorts that would have the density to conceal the central column for the most part as well as diffuse the light...however I wanted to share with the forum to see if I was over engineering the idea?

Oh I didn't know you wanted to add liquid. Or is it just part of this particular idea?
Anyway that's definitely a good starting point!

A real glow like you see in the photo is hard to achieve anyway. It's all the camera's sensor which replicates and displays it that way.

Oh I didn't know you wanted to add liquid. Or is it just part of this particular idea?
Anyway that's definitely a good starting point!

A real glow like you see in the photo is hard to achieve anyway. It's all the camera's sensor which replicates and displays it that way.

Just a rough idea, by no means does it NEED liquid and in all honesty if I can avoid liquid then i'd rather that be the case as I know fine well the issues it could potentially cause especially have it surrounding my led's etc!

Okay. Anyway try to give it a shot and order yourself a sample of the "Enlighten LED Plexiglas Rod" I mentioned in my first post.
The shipping shouldn't be that expensive and for a proper, even light distribution you should have a look at it. Maybe you can find some reviews on it.
If they don't ship to you I can get myself a sample and send it to you.

Currently I'm at work but when I'm at home I got more time to think about it :)

Okay. Anyway try to give it a shot and order yourself a sample of the "Enlighten LED Plexiglas Rod" I mentioned in my first post.
The shipping shouldn't be that expensive and for a proper, even light distribution you should have a look at it. Maybe you can find some reviews on it.
If they don't ship to you I can get myself a sample and send it to you.

Currently I'm at work but when I'm at home I got more time to think about it :)

I will for sure! Its a great starting point! Thank you!

jcdrums

http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=39561.0

This would be the idea you mentioned first, right? You have to scroll down to the end of the first post.
The OP there used a clear acrylic rod to spread the light at first and then used a second, bigger tube to get the desired color.

From the last image there it seems that would be look that you're going for :)
As reference you can use the image where he used the blue outer tube: Here you can see how the single led spreads it's light within the clear rod on the inside.
If you imagined that by using one led in each end cap PLUS the better light distribution of the "Enlighten-Rod" I'm sure you're on the best way to achieve the look you're heading for :)

Cheers,
Mario

Last edited by a moderator:
@supermaRiio

This is perfect! Yes using the inner and outer rod/tube set up was my original plan but using two tubes and essentially stuffing the inner tube with lights...this method though seems highlight I was over thinking it, with an inner rod and led's at each end with covering caps I can get some serious glow by then adding a green outer tube for my coloration?

I only really have experience with strip LED's, I can't seem to see exactly what tube of LED's are being used in this set up do you have any advice? I'm assuming something along these lines...?

ag137.jpg

@supermaRiio

This is perfect! Yes using the inner and outer rod/tube set up was my original plan but using two tubes and essentially stuffing the inner tube with lights...this method though seems highlight I was over thinking it, with an inner rod and led's at each end with covering caps I can get some serious glow by then adding a green outer tube for my coloration?

I only really have experience with strip LED's, I can't seem to see exactly what tube of LED's are being used in this set up do you have any advice? I'm assuming something along these lines...?

Exactly! For more variety and possibility I would go for this one: http://www.adafruit.com/products/2226
Have this in use myself but you have to make sure you have a little microcontroller stuffed in it too.

Those NeoPixels are really great when it comes to lighting and you can programm them really easily.
All of them are RGB leds which get their data from some kind of input like an Arduino or this thing here: http://www.adafruit.com/products/1501

And then you're set to go! :)
You would just to figure out a way to connect both of the led-modules :)

@supermaRiio

Okay so I think i'm pretty much there with this...My last fleeting thought before I start ordering parts and getting this going is if I an putting white light into a clear rod and defused through a green outer tube...do you/anyone know if I would lose brightness by right white light through a green rod and tube or equally running green light through the inner rod be it green or clear?

I assume white light is just brighter anyway but will a green inner rod dull the distribution of that?

@supermaRiio

Okay so I think i'm pretty much there with this...My last fleeting thought before I start ordering parts and getting this going is if I an putting white light into a clear rod and defused through a green outer tube...do you/anyone know if I would lose brightness by right white light through a green rod and tube or equally running green light through the inner rod be it green or clear?

I assume white light is just brighter anyway but will a green inner rod dull the distribution of that?

Oh sorry, oversaw your question there.
Yes, there will be definitely a loss of light if you go for an colored tube. I'd go with a clear/opaque inner rod whereas the color could come either from the leds (but I'd keep them white) or via the outer, colored tube.
Therfore you would achieve this intense white lighting you see in the picture you posted which then will illuminate the green on the outside giving it that glow.
That's what I would try! :) But I assume I would order a few more different tubes in different colors to see what fits the best.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back