#NotAtComicCon party in Minneapolis

Elkman

Sr Member
Double Danger Comics in Minneapolis hosted a "Not At Comic Con" party yesterday, complete with a costume contest. I showed up with my Predator costume, and there were several other participants there as well.
NotAtComicCon-7-700.jpg

Here I am fighting with Captain America:
NotAtComicCon-2-700.jpg

Yeah, I know, the Predator should be taller than Captain America. The guy in the Captain America costume is actually a good friend from several other CONvergence conventions.

I came in first place and got a small trophy for my efforts:
Prizes-2-600.jpg

But the trophy paled in comparison to the two big bags of schwag that I won:
Prizes-1-700.jpg

The only problem is that the store didn't really have central air conditioning. As a result, I was sweating -- a lot -- and I was leaving puddles on the floor. They weren't too worried, though, since their store occupies what used to be the adult section of a video store, and there were much worse, uh, secretions on the floor in those days.

The guys at the shop took a lot of pictures, which I hope make it back to Dark Horse Comics. They were one of the sponsors, along with Red Bull. Not bad for an afternoon's appearance in costume. I had fun there.

That looks like everyone had a great time.

Was that a store, 'cause that first pic kind of looks like it could be some ones living room. :D

Was there a good turn out of spectators?

That looks like everyone had a great time.

Was that a store, 'cause that first pic kind of looks like it could be some ones living room. :D

Was there a good turn out of spectators?
Yep, it's a store. They just have it decorated nicely, including a big-screen TV playing Star Wars in the background. The air conditioner over the TV was probably the only thing keeping the store cool.

There was a good turnout -- the store was pretty full. I wouldn't say it was packed with people, but there were enough people to make it worthwhile. If I had wanted to show off the suit to more people, I could have gone over to the Bryant Lake Bowl next door, but I was leaving enough of a trail of sweat already.

It was all worth the bodily secretions
Ya, but secreted from what?

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :D

'Round here window units just don't cut it. I have a window unit for my shop and it runs a lot just to keep it in the 80's. It was the only room my house not covered my house's AC. Why that happened I don't know. Without it I'd be sweating onto everything I do. Not good when I'm working with wood, metal, plastic, ok just about everything.

It's always nice to come out of things with a big bag full of anything. :D

Ya, but secreted from what?

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :D
Mine was just sweat. In the days when it was the adult section of the video store, though, you can probably guess what was being secreted. Or maybe you don't want to know.

'Round here window units just don't cut it. I have a window unit for my shop and it runs a lot just to keep it in the 80's. It was the only room my house not covered my house's AC. Why that happened I don't know. Without it I'd be sweating onto everything I do. Not good when I'm working with wood, metal, plastic, ok just about everything.

It's always nice to come out of things with a big bag full of anything.
That's the nice thing about having my shop in the basement: it's always nice and cool down there, thanks to central AC and the fact that cool air sinks.

And yeah, the bags of comic books and other schwag were a pretty cool prize.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back