Northfur Fx - Bothan costume related

I did a quick search to see if these guys have ever been mentioned on these board. Since I didn't find any, I wanted to ask the question. If this question doesn't belong here, MODS please move to the appropriate location (thanks!).

So the question is about this mascot mask making company: http://www.northfur.ca/
Has anyone ever dealt with them? I have a project that I would like to have finished for CV, and these guys seem to have the closest items that I need for making the mask. I was very interested to see if anyone had any kind of feedback on their service - good, or bad. I've emailed them, a couple of times, about very specific questions, and have yet to hear anything.

So, on to the project. What/who am I doing? Borsk Fey'lya.
180px-Borsk_Fey%27lya_-_SWGTCG.jpg

433px-Borsk_negtc.jpg

For those of you on the RL boards, you may have seen my thread about this. But I am looking to do a decent likeness of Borsk, with full mask and hands. Here is what I have come up with (what I think might work):

camelface-Borsk.jpg

But I did notice the hoods that they have. I was wondering how I would apply everything to a solid mask. Now I think I might have a clue. Looks like I could probably get away with a slush cast hood and then use rubber cement to glue the camel face on and then just add the hair. I'll probably have to modify the slush cast hood to allow my ears to go through, since those elf ears would just attach to my ears, naturally. If I add the hair just right, nobody would know the difference.

slushcasthood-Borsk.jpg

For the hands, I think the 300 Immortal hands are perfect!

31448-m.jpg

Manga elf ears (was the 10 inch ears, but after other feedback, these ears seem to be more accurate)
mangaears-Borsk.jpg

So, obviously, I am really wanting to make this concept into a reality. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If someone has other ideas to pull this costume off, I am more than willing to hear them.

Thanks for your assistance, guys!

- Bill

Last edited:
Re: Northfur Fx

Bill -

For going the off-the-shelf route, you've got a pretty solid plan in place.
There's enough hair/fur on the Borsk character that you'll be able to blend
seams appropriately, and yes, just glue the prosthetic to a cowl or a balaclava
type deal. Good luck, and be sure to post progress pics so others can learn/assist.

Well, I seem to have hit a snag. Northfur doesn't return my emails and finding another vendor that can do what I need, within a budget that I can afford, is a daunting task, at best.

I will persevere and maybe I will be able to find a solution.

I suppose I could maybe use this plastic mask as a base, and build up on it, since I wouldl ike it to be more of a permanent type of mask. Although, I would only need the facial features, the ears (and horns on the goat mask) are no good to me, since Bothans have norns and ears that remind me more of longer elf ears, than anything.

Plastic Camel Mask: http://www.caufields.com/camelmaskadult.aspx

Plastic Goat Mask: http://www.costumecraze.com/MASK237.html?c=googlebase,MASK237

Can anyone suggest any tips for me to build this up. I am a complete novice. I've never worked with latex, or made a mask. I have theories on how to do it, but when it comes to application, I am pretty clueless. So any suggestions would be more than appreciated.

If there is anyone out there that would be willing to work with me on the creation of this mask, please PM me. I am sure something could be worked out. Who knows, maybe a new product line could be started by someone, here, and we could see more Bothans running around at conventions.

Time to resurrect this bad boy..... camel mask and evil brows have been ordered. I decided that I am not going to use the hood (and save myself some money) because I think I will go the route of that Thade mask build that I saw recently. Seeing as how I am going to be in Florida for the debuting of this costume (hopefully!), I think that way would be better, and keep me from cooking in that mask!

I also went ahead and ordered some hands, too. Although, I didn't order the Immortal hands that I have pictured. Instead I went with some werewolf hands that were almost the same.

werewolf_hands_mr156017morm.jpg

The nice thing with the werewolf hands are that it has an open palm (since I will be body painting my ears, I can do the hands, too) and an enclosure around the wrist, for a better fit. From the pics of the Immortal hands, it was lacking that important aspect.

So, we shall see if those hands work. If not, back to the drawing board, I suppose....

More updates, as I am able to!

Time to resurrect this bad boy..... camel mask and evil brows have been ordered. I decided that I am not going to use the hood (and save myself some money) because I think I will go the route of that Thade mask build that I saw recently. Seeing as how I am going to be in Florida for the debuting of this costume (hopefully!), I think that way would be better, and keep me from cooking in that mask!

I also went ahead and ordered some hands, too. Although, I didn't order the Immortal hands that I have pictured. Instead I went with some werewolf hands that were almost the same.

werewolf_hands_mr156017morm.jpg

The nice thing with the werewolf hands are that it has an open palm (since I will be body painting my ears, I can do the hands, too) and an enclosure around the wrist, for a better fit. From the pics of the Immortal hands, it was lacking that important aspect.

So, we shall see if those hands work. If not, back to the drawing board, I suppose....

More updates, as I am able to!

So, I got the hands in the mail, on Monday. I tried them on, but they are a bit long in the fingers (big duh! there). So, I may end up ordering those Immortal hands after all. I'll keep the werewolf hands, though. You never know when they may come in useful!

More as the build progresses!

I ordered a bunch of stuff for this costume, yesterday. Boots, pants, ears, woochie bald cap (I have a good use for this) and hair for the head. I just emailed a buddy of mine for the fabrication of the coat. I've got a month to get this done, if I want to debut this at Celebration V.

I've got a mannequine head and balaclava, so I am good on that front. As soon as the hair and ears arrive, I can get rolling on making sure everything is painted properly before I add the hair.

So, the journey continues... now if the other projects could be completed in a timely fashion, I would be most happy!

- Bill

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back