No-Airbrush Skin Painting

Blade Carbonics

I'm about to paint up my 3rd skin and I had an idea for a new approach you guys may be able to give me feedback on. I'm thinking of brushing on a layer of rubber cement then immidiatly following it up by spraying on acrylic spraypaint, so the paint will dry together with the cement, rather than brushing it on. Has anyone tried anything close to this? Thanks.

never tried spray paint... but about taht rubber cement... you have to thin it with soemthing like acetone (which is toxic if you breath it in so do it out side) all my stuff that i painted with straigh cement is now cracking wen it bends.. though my mask which i originally painted with a mix of cement and acetone is staying.

the acetione helps to "bite" into the latex and the glue helps hold it...

i gotta repainte my hands and most of my feet now.. so ya don't make the same mistake i did lol
as for sparay paint.. i'm not sure... i mean it is jsut acrylic....

well this is tmi's mixture.

I had a 1:1 mixture the first time i mixed it. though all you have to do is make sure its a milky white. Make sure you keep it stirred though so that the rubber cmeent doesn't clump together... so i'd only mix what i needed.

again acetone is pretty brutal.. so make sure you do it outside or in a well ventilated area and try not to breath the fumes in directly.. if your inside try and where a mask

If you're using acrylic paint you want to make sure it's not your standard "model" paint for use on plastic kits. Aparrently they contain too much "platicizer" in them (which helps them adhere to liiike, plastic models) and will probably crack if used on costume pieces, which flex a lot.
Thats tamiya, humbrol, etc etc paints out the window I would think.

You *could try games workshop/citadel spray paint but their choice of coolurs is rather limited.

Failing the spraypaint idea.....
You could just do it all with brushes/sponges....

I did my basecoat for my skin with a cheap badger 250 (single action, cost around £20 and came with a small can of propellant) and am now painting the rest by brush since the airbrush packed in after a few weeks.

Well first you need an adhisive.. either the rubber cement/acetone mixture or prosaid.

Next you'll need soem good acrylics.. unless your using an airbrush the only way to go is buy hand.. you can try your spray paints. the worst that happens is it cracks and you scrap it off with your fingernail.

I used liqutex paints for my mask and used the rubber cement/acetone mixture.

You can click my sig for my tutorial and see all the steps i took

What about laying down a coat of pro-adhesive and using this spray paint technique? I'd think it'd be certainly better than using this toxic rubber cement/acetone combo.

Ok, a status update for those of you who care - I threw a light layer on and went with almond colored spray into it as a base. I originally did a 25/75 paint/latex mix for my initial layers. My thinking is that the spray solvents will diffuse before the latex has time to dry, thus leaving paint to dry into the latex. My test patch seems to be holding up, but we will soon see. If this works out I think it may be huntorial worthy, seeing how many members come here as do-it-yourselfers on a budj.

Cheers!

Nice man! ya times the thing.. i thought mine where fine till around day 5.. though you used latex so your probably safe. Definitly looking forward to a huntoorial if it works.. would save time when painting the body

**** didn't work. Going the cheap route never works. Damn

Although...

I was in the Depot yesterday and noticed krylon has spraypaint called H20 Latex spray. Has anyone used this, or can anyone think of a reason it wouldnt work? The color selection sucks, but its yet another option.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back