New prop maker needs advice for John Hammond cane

BryonRaymond

Hi everyone here on the RPF! I'm a new user and a fairly new prop maker. I have experience in building things (such as a bartop arcade machine and sets for various college plays) but only recently have I discovered a love for trying to recreate some of the props I've coveted from various films. One of those items is the John Hammond amber cane from Jurassic Park! I recently took a wooden dowel and some air drying clay and made the basic shape of the cane. However, I am considering making a silicon mold of the cane and then casting it in resin since that is how I believe the film used props were made. But when I cast the cane in resin, I want to add a metal rod in the middle for support, so my question is, how do I get a metal rod to sit in the middle of the mold while I pour the resin in there? This step is still a ways away, I just know it's a problem I'm going to run into and I'm trying to tackle it ahead of time. Thanks for any advice you guys may have!

-Bryon

I assume you are going to make a 2 piece mold split along the length? Due to the shape of the cane you would be better off casting the cane upright to minimise air pockets . This will make it easy to centralise a steel rod in the centre. Use either a paster or firbreglass shell to hold the mold steady and use capped ends with locating holes for the rod. That should keep everything in line.

Hope this helps and I guess you are making the Amber egg as well? Whats your plan for that?

I don't know why I didn't think to do the mold standing upright. That would certainly make putting a metal rod in the mold much easier. Thanks! And as for the amber egg, I recently ordered one from a guy named Gavin in the UK. He does great work from what I've seen. That was before I thought to buy stuff to make molds and resin castings, otherwise I would have tried to make my own.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back