New Movie Ideas for Hollywood

I just finished reading a story about a Russian Gulag in Siberia. Maybe some more focus on this hardened prisons. It's just a prison story, but colder.

I read the story of the whaleship Essex and am glad Hollywood is giving it a go.

I just thought of a new one this morning (drempt this one too).

A kid sitting at his computer gets a mysterious message from some anonymous source just suddenly appears on his computer screen for no reason. It starts talking to him as if it's in the room with him, but he disconnects his webcam, his microphone, anything and everything, including his internet connection, and this source continues talking with him like he knows him. We later discover it's an A.I. program that has been hiding out in his computer, running from some unknown source (virus detector, government, who knows). This A.I. program is actually the electronic scout of an alien civilization sent here via some deep space research satellight to determine if we were ready for first contact. But it has to return or send a message back, but since the kid disconnected his PC from all but the electrical outlet, it's can't get out. Could be an interesting movie.

There are original stories being made (Pacific Rim, Jupiter Ascending, and the upcoming Crimson Falls) .

Pacific Rim was original? How is giant robots fighting giant monsters original? Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie, but I didn't see anything original about it.

Pacific Rim was original? How is giant robots fighting giant monsters original? Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie, but I didn't see anything original about it.

Agreed... Pacific Rim was just a rehashing of Godzilla, Jupiter Ascending was just another chosen one movie, and Crimson Falls... isn't that a comic book? I realize Hollywood has been scrambling and looking at various sources for new ideas and right now their focus has been on comic books and old cartoons lately. I'm talking about things that we haven't seen before. Its getting harder and harder to find.

As far as adaptations go, that's nothing new, Hollywood has been doing that for decades, some of the most beloved movies of all time (Gone with the Wind, The Wizard of Oz) are adaptions of classic novels.

6) Little Help - A drama based on real life domestic abuse but not as is socially well known. Because the antagonist is the wife. A normal guy believes he has married the woman of his dreams and all is happy and well until she shows her true side and begins abusing him, mentally, physically and emotionally.

My brother-in-law could write this screenplay. This was his life with my psycho sister.
Anyone who thinks this can't happen - it does.

I was once involved in a short film about that.

Anyway, right now I'm working on two scripts at once. Because I clearly am insane. Well I have others in various stages but have not actively worked on them in a while.

Of the two 'active' ones, both are sci-fi, both are set in the future. One is about a prison in space being the Earth's only defense against an alien invasion. The other is about a near-genius teenager (high school senior age) who goes with his best friend for illegal DNA modification to increase their test results to get them into better careers. Only in the process he uncovers a government conspiracy and isn't sure if they're now after him or if he's just gone insane from the procedure.

Most of what I write is the stuff I want to watch, so it's probably not stuff most people would be interested in probably. But it's fun to write it anyway.

I just thought of a new one this morning (drempt this one too).

A kid sitting at his computer gets a mysterious message from some anonymous source just suddenly appears on his computer screen for no reason. It starts talking to him as if it's in the room with him, but he disconnects his webcam, his microphone, anything and everything, including his internet connection, and this source continues talking with him like he knows him. We later discover it's an A.I. program that has been hiding out in his computer, running from some unknown source (virus detector, government, who knows). This A.I. program is actually the electronic scout of an alien civilization sent here via some deep space research satellight to determine if we were ready for first contact. But it has to return or send a message back, but since the kid disconnected his PC from all but the electrical outlet, it's can't get out. Could be an interesting movie.

It wasn't a reboot/remake or sequel. Sorry, the title I was thinking of is actually Crimson Peak.

Just a question for you folks. How does a script get written. I am by no means a scholar. In fact my educational background could be regarded as somewhat crude. That being said, I am by no means a stupid man either. Just curious about the steps one would use to create a script, I guess you could say. I have always had great ideas, but putting pen to paper and having it all make sense is a different animal. Thank guys...GM

Good place to start: http://www.writersstore.com/how-to-write-a-screenplay-a-guide-to-scriptwriting/

Once you know what a script LOOKS like, you can better understand how to go about tackling it. My first task is usually to list out all my characters with some info about them. This changes as it goes on so I keep this separate listing a bit up to date as I continue. Especially helpful if you take a break from it and come back to it later, you have all the info you need about the person.

Then I write out a one or two page summary. Just hit the highs and lows and if I have any particular dialogue I want (lots of my screenplay ideas come from a particular line and I build it around that), I note all that. Then I outline it to keep the flow and pacing set. This is sort of just a list of what happens in order. It'll change. It always changes as you go along.

THEN you are ready to sit down and bang out a first draft.

Description is quick and not very detailed unless it's something very very very specific. Even then brevity is good. Blocks of dialogue are best kept to 4-5 lines unless a voice over or monologue. I mean remember the poor people who have to memorize it word for word. ;) The important thing is to show, not tell. Don't have a character explain every detail unless necessary. This is why most stories surround a 'new' person, so you get the chance to explain things.

Finish the first draft, realize how horrible it is, how much it sucks, but don't give up. Bang out a second draft. Draft 4 or 5 is usually when you start sending it to friends for editing and critiques. Anything before that is still pretty rough.

Most of all, don't give up!

Are there any movies that have been made, that are based on the comicon/cosplay genre? Not a documentary but a film where Fandom is in the back drop I guess...GM
Just found Fandom (2004) & trekkies...GM

Are there any movies that have been made, that are based on the comicon/cosplay genre? Not a documentary but a film where Fandom is in the back drop I guess...GM
Just found Fandom (2004) & trekkies...GM

I think Scott Pilgrim was a big cosplay movie that didn't focus on the cosplayers intentionally but they were more of backdrop. Fan Boyz is a good one too!

There are a few. I know of some local indie stuff but don't know if it's available anywhere.

Can't wait to see what you do!

I'd pay to see Microslavia if done correctly ;)

I think if her got Terry Gillum from the Monty Python crew to direct it and do it in the style of like Yellowbeard and/or Brazil you'd have a certified hit on your hands! Bring in some of the remaining crew like Eric Idle and John Cleese... my gawd man... the fun wouldn't stop!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back