New method of applying chrome

Mr Webber

Master Member
A mate sent me this link to a place here in Oz that has come up with a water based, spray applied chrome that can be applied
to just about any surface of any size.
The site is more about commercial sales but ive asked them to send me any information they can about where these machines
are currently operating so i can make full use of it. Anxious to here from those here with knowledge
of the craft and if this new way is a better way.

Fantachrome Your partner for Alternative Chrome Plating

I had seen a video on YouTube about that in the past.
Interesting, but cost much i think, and is not available here anyway...

I i would love to try it! :cool

I could have used this many times over the last couple of years and if i can find someone close who has one, i ve got at least 5 projects that could
be kicked off so will follow this up.

I actually got some demo parts from them last year. It has a beutiful finish to it, but the gear is too expensive to be doing once offs. :cry

I'd be interested to find out where places heve the machines too. hmmm time for a full terminator endo sculpt?

Just what i was thinking Bezelbub, if someone makes a resin kit version then it is a reality.
Ive got a hybrid fantasy project in mind using part fake human bones as much of the frame, this method could bring that to life.
Obviously unless you were planning to use it commercially, it would be out of reach to the average propbuilder but im sure those in the industry
such as car and bike restorers would be using it somewhere and thats the in.

Just what i was thinking Bezelbub, if someone makes a resin kit version then it is a reality.
Ive got a hybrid fantasy project in mind using part fake human bones as much of the frame, this method could bring that to life.
Obviously unless you were planning to use it commercially, it would be out of reach to the average propbuilder but im sure those in the industry
such as car and bike restorers would be using it somewhere and thats the in.

Has anyone herd back from the company?
I sent an E-Mail but haven't had any reply to where or who offers their service in other states in Australia

mik mik, i think they are just concerned with selling the gear, when i get time
i`ll check out traditional chrome restor places and find out that way and post any results, Im in the big V.

PHArchivist, its new to me as ive never come across it before.

Thanks for the info defstartrooper

I have been thinking about buying Alsa's set up for a while. Just need to justify the $8500 initial investment and the supplies are pricey too considering you only get 500 square foot of pruduct to start. I see a limitless amount of uses for props, home decor and of course automotive.

Not bustin' chops or anything...

But I'm also compelled by the "New Chrome Method" threads, as we're always looking for the "next best thing"... Then its a tad anti-climatic when it is indeed a method that's been out for a while.

But yeah - an easy chroming method has been sought long by this community. To the degree that at one time we had a large thread devoted to the various methods and techniques available. Not sure if it still exists...

I used Fanta-Chrome a number of years ago on a Terminator bust, and it worked fairly well.

mik mik, i think they are just concerned with selling the gear, when i get time
i`ll check out traditional chrome restor places and find out that way and post any results, Im in the big V.

Thanks for the info defstartrooper

Hey Mr Webber,

Since I haven't herd from fantachrome I'll just give up, I think unless you wish to purchase the whole package then they're not interested, even though the website says they'll let you know your nearest sprayer/business.

Over the weekend I purchased an aircompressor and will purchase some liquid chrome (still working out which one) but fantachrome looked so promising, shame they don't care about customer service.

Im in South Australia and have a big job to spray, you'll see my post about my damaged Terminator 2 Flying Hunter Killer 60 inch Studio scale to spray.

If you do come up with anything else then please do let me know, but I think I'll just have to do it my own way.

Cheers,

I've used FantaChrome, both with their machine application and straight through a gun. It's been around a while. If done correctly and patiently it can produce great results...I usually have to use it for rush jobs though :rolleyes

It is true that they sell you their 2k black undercoat, 2k lacquer and thinners, although you can use any.

There is a cheaper alternative on the market now, that is just as good in my opinion. I have used it to. Same process...half the price.

RACING COLORS SPECIAL PAINTS

I've used FantaChrome, both with their machine application and straight through a gun. It's been around a while. If done correctly and patiently it can produce great results...I usually have to use it for rush jobs though :rolleyes

It is true that they sell you their 2k black undercoat, 2k lacquer and thinners, although you can use any.

There is a cheaper alternative on the market now, that is just as good in my opinion. I have used it to. Same process...half the price.

RACING COLORS SPECIAL PAINTS

Hey VOS,

Are you in Australia?
Just wondering on postage costs for the chrome from Racing Colors?
Wondering what to expect.......

Thanks for the info Vos and i`ll post if i find anything mik.

Thanks Webber,

I don't wish to delay my project too much so at the moment im looking at the following "Chrome" paint providers (non spray cans suppliers) as I will be using a airbrush to complete the job.

If I've missed anyone that you think provides a good product and a reasonable price then please post it with a link.
I require between 500ml to 750ml for a reasonable size job.

The problem is since I live in Australia, postage prices for some of the product is getting ridicilously high because it has to be sent via Hazmat, so shipping from overseas will be a dilemma unless an Australian supplier is available which is highly preferable.

1. MirraChrome $700 Aust for kit 560mls
(Australian supplier available but higher cost for products)

2. Chrome Effect $75 Euro for 100mls
(Europe shipping price unknown yet)

3. Innate Chrome paint $229 US for kit 945mls
(yet to receive an E-Mail about shipping price from the US)

Cheers,

Mik Mik

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back