New member here, first post, BTTF, Marty costume

HotJuicyBurgers

Hey everyone, I've been lurking around on the forums for the last couple of days, and I've fallen in love with this forums.(sounds a little strange, but i've spent way too many hours just reading posts.) I'm a pretty big fan of back to the future, and I thought it would be pretty cool to build myself a costume. I'm trying to make a 1985 Marty, so i'm looking for the denim jacket, vest, pants, watch, undershirt, shoes, and any other accessories.(camera, cassette player etc.) Now I want to try and have this costume done in about a years time, so i'm not really in a rush, so keep that in mind. I'm going to try and keep a list of things I know, and want to know, and if anyone would like to share their knowledge that would be amazing.

Sunglasses - aviators (not sure what kinds though)
Watch - CA-50 or CA-53 (picked one up on ebay for 15 bucks)
Jacket - Denim with the design on the inside, if anyone can point me to somewhere that it would be cheaper than this (McFly Denim Jacket by Magnoli Clothiers), i'd greatly appreciate it. (A post on the bttf forums about it,Original Guess Denim Jacket like Marty's Finally Discovered! : BTTF.com)
Vest - Also need a place that isn't this (McFly Vest by Magnoli Clothiers) lol
Video Camera - JVC GR-C1 (found one on ebay, complete with everything and a giant case for 30 bucks shipped)
cassette player - AIWA HS-P02 MK II
Jeans - were originally a brand called Guess? not sure besides that.
Undershirt - maroon colored?
Underwear - Calvin Klein(purple?)
Shoes - 1985 white Nike Bruins with a red swoosh. Not sure what I should do with these. Can't find anyone selling a pair, let alone my size(12), so what do you all suggest?
Shirt - A shah safari type that was made specifically made for the movie. Probably going to end up making my own from material
Suspenders -?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

I'm pretty new to the forum myself and I'm here almost everyday looking up what some the amazing things people are coming up with replica wise.

For the costume, it's a very difficult costume to complete if you're going for completely screen accurate, let me tell you that!!

the denim jacket....

Now it has been proven that it was made by Guess in 1984 and is a Georges Marciano design. I do daily searches for this jacket and have been unlucky so far. However this member of BTTF.com hit the jackpot and got the exact model on ebay for $50 Original Guess Denim Jacket like Marty's Finally Discovered! : BTTF.com

So I wish you luck in the search for that as this is the only case we have of someone actually finding the exact same denim jacket. However, if you are looking for a replica, the finest out there is definitely Magnoli's jacket. It's very screen accurate apart from the grey denim in my opinion should be a little lighter but hey it's still an amazing replica.

There is a japanese replica jacket on ebay, which I currently have until I find either the real one or a more accurate replica that's a bit cheaper than magnolia's. Let me tell you that whilst this jacket looks to be a fair replica in pictures, it's actually pretty bad for the price they sell it at. the lining on the inside of the jacket is just polkadots... not even an attempt at paisleys like Magnoli's jacket offers. The buttons are wrong as they have two at the bottom, there's no elasticated bit at the bottom of the jacket and the collar is massive (especially on mine), the colours are a fair bit off (a lot more off than magnoli's jacket). The only plus about this jacket is that it is cheaper than magnolia's and that's really about it!

The Vest is another mystery yet to be solved. No one actually knows the exact brand used by the filmmakers. You can try vintage north face, vintage Eddie Bauer or LL Bean in either a peachy red colour or burnt orange should do the trick.

The shirt was made my shah safari and a limited run was done by them last year after two fans contacted them and persuaded them to do a run of the exact same shirt marty wore. These are now sold out but quite often pop up on ebay or just keep an eye out here for someone maybe selling their's!

the jeans i believe were made by guess but again it's not been confirmed, MJF has said to one fan on the BTTF.com forums that they could of been custom made for him but he's not too sure. any vintage jeans from the 80s will do, just make sure they're high waisted, skinny fit and stone/acid washed.

the shoes are indeed the now very rare Nike Bruins. If you happen to come across a pair they are going for a fair bit now, espicially since the release of the Nike Mags a lot of people are dumping theirs for ridiculous prices. I saw one pair listed $1200! You could probably get away with the Nike Tennis Classics and i believe someone here posted a tutorial on how to make them look like the nike bruins! (told you there's some amazing posts here haha!)

the t-shirt is just a plain crew neck maroon t-shirt which you could probably pick up at most places like ebay, fruit of the loom, H&M etc

the underwear is incredibly hard to find these days and i'd imagine if you do find them they will be used haha, so just any purple calvins will do!

the watch I believe differed in the sequels but I just wear a Casio CA-53W which are still on sale at amazon!

The Camcorder is a JVC GR-C1 and these pop up on ebay quite frequently for around $100-200. You can also get look a like models like the JVC GR-60E and other variants!

The Cassette player is a AIWA HS-P02 MK II which again, are on ebay occasionally!

wow what a long post! well, I hope that's been of some help to you!

Last edited:
Welcome to forum!

I'm pretty new to the forum myself and I'm here almost everyday looking up what some the amazing things people are coming up with replica wise.

For the costume, it's a very difficult costume to complete if you're going for completely screen accurate, let me tell you that!!

the denim jacket....

Now it has been proven that it was made by Guess in 1984 and is a Georges Marciano design. I do daily searches for this jacket and have been unlucky so far. However this member of BTTF.com hit the jackpot and got the exact model on ebay for $50 Original Guess Denim Jacket like Marty's Finally Discovered! : BTTF.com

So I wish you luck in the search for that as this is the only case we have of someone actually finding the exact same denim jacket. However, if you are looking for a replica, the finest out there is definitely Magnoli's jacket. It's very screen accurate apart from the grey denim in my opinion should be a little lighter but hey it's still an amazing replica.

There is a japanese replica jacket on ebay, which I currently have until I find either the real one or a more accurate replica that's a bit cheaper than magnolia's. Let me tell you that whilst this jacket looks to be a fair replica in pictures, it's actually pretty bad for the price they sell it at. the lining on the inside of the jacket is just polkadots... not even an attempt at paisleys like Magnoli's jacket offers. The buttons are wrong as they have two at the bottom, there's no elasticated bit at the bottom of the jacket and the collar is massive (especially on mine), the colours are a fair bit off (a lot more off than magnoli's jacket). The only plus about this jacket is that it is cheaper than magnolia's and that's really about it!

The Vest is another mystery yet to be solved. No one actually knows the exact brand used by the filmmakers. You can try vintage north face, vintage Eddie Bauer or LL Bean in either a peachy red colour or burnt orange should do the trick.

The shirt was made my shah safari and a limited run was done by them last year after two fans contacted them and persuaded them to do a run of the exact same shirt marty wore. These are now sold out but quite often pop up on ebay or just keep an eye out here for someone maybe selling their's!

the jeans i believe were made by guess but again it's not been confirmed, MJF has said to one fan on the BTTF.com forums that they could of been custom made for him but he's not too sure. any vintage jeans from the 80s will do, just make sure they're high waisted, skinny fit and stone/acid washed.

the shoes are indeed the now very rare Nike Bruins. If you happen to come across a pair they are going for a fair bit now, espicially since the release of the Nike Mags a lot of people are dumping there's for ridiculous prices. I saw one pair listed $1200! You could probably get away with the Nike Tennis Classics and i believe someone here posted a tutorial on how to make them look like the nike bruins! (told you there's some amazing posts here haha!)

the t-shirt is just a plain crew neck maroon t-shirt which you could probably pick up at most places like ebay, fruit of the loom, H&M etc

the underwear is incredibly hard to find these days and i'd imagine if you do find them they will be used haha, so just any purple calvins will do!

the watch I believe differed in the sequels but I just wear a Casio CA-53W which are still on sale at amazon!

The Camcorder is a JVC GR-C1 and these pop up on ebay quite frequently for around $100-200. You can also get look a like models like the JVC GR-60E and other variants!

The Cassette player is a AIWA HS-P02 MK II which again, are on ebay occasionally!

wow what a long post! well, I hope that's been of some help to you!

That was a crap load of information lol. Thank you so much for all of that. I'm going to update my first post to reflect all that you said, thanks for the warm welcome! :)

I've already started collected some of the cheaper pieces lol. Got myself a watch, and on a whim decided to look for the camera again. Someone had put it up with a buy it now of 30 dollars. It comes with everything, a giant case, and free shipping. I kind of got lucky on that one. The seller probably doesn't know it's relation with bttf which is good for me

Isn't it amazing how helpful the folks on here are? Hope it's all going well.

Good luck :thumbsup

Not sure if it was sarcasm or not, but that second post was a plethora of information lol. A lot of the stuff I guess i'll just keep looking. I just wish i knew what aviators were in the movie lol

They're not Ray Ban. The producers had a product placement deal with the sunglass company in question. They were only used in the opening scene because the mirrored lenses were difficult to film, without the crew being reflected into the shot. I spoke with Bob Gale, at an event, and asked if he remembered the company's name. He told me it had been too long and he didn't recall it. The jeans are Guess in the original film. You can see the triangle on the back pocket, where the branding was removed, in a few scenes. I've spent years putting together one of the most accurate costumes out there. If you need anymore help let me know.

This BTTF related office memo along with script changes got sold few hours ago. This of course is in relation to the older script where it's mentioned that Marty wears Porsche mirrored sunglasses. They might have changed it during actual production, if not the exact model of Porsche glasses could be identified.

Items for Sale - Movie: Back To The Future, Item: Inter-Office Memo & Script Changes

11926_4.jpg

BTTF Marty Sunglasses
Created a separate thread about this in the props forum.

Last edited:
The Burnt Orange down vest is from Class-5. Good luck, but there are some close replicas out there. Look at the button count and the rounded pockets.
The Aviator sunglasses were made by Carl Zeiss and are hard as heck to find also. I've made out very well with a fairly accurate replica here.
I found a pair of Bruins from 1982 that were screen accurate on ebay for 50 bucks. Shmuck didn't know what he had. ;) so keep checking.
Spoonflower is a good place for the McFly shirt pattern if you know someone who can sew. It's cheaper that way.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back