New Hasbro Kenner "Vintage" Star Wars figures

IMG_9694.jpeg
IMG_0367.jpeg

I’m glad they finally finished the first twelve, good lineup for ROTJ as well.
Disappointing there isn’t a previously un-produced figure this time.

I assume they'd sell mostly to those who bought or wanted them as kids?
I was in junior high when Empire Strikes Back came out and some of us still collected those figures. I was a minor celebrity at school because I had the AT-AT driver figure, which nobody else I knew had. To this day I have no idea how rare those really were, but I only ever heard of one; the one I found at a store in my hometown (which is now a grocery store, last time I was in that town).

Last edited:
I bought the first set of 6 for nostalgia of it… opened em up… and felt nothin.

Weird…

I remember them differently. Maybe my hands are too big? Their’s are! Not one figure can hold a gun!

I dunno if I want to buy the others… I wanted that original 12 on display…

While I do think it's fun to do new versions of the original Kenner style figures for people like myself that missed out on all of them, I did go down a rabbit hole during 2020 and bought some vintage figures on ebay. Working during the height of COVID saw me indulging in collecting things to stave off the insanity from my job. I even purchased a Jedi Luke that was unopened, with a fairly decent cardback and opened it. The bubble was damaged, so don't piss yourself MOC collectors lol.

It was fun in the sense that the only Kenner figures I had as a kid were a few Ewoks brand new for my birthday, plus Chewie and IG-88 which were given to me secondhand by my cousins. I can say now that I finally owned a brand new Jedi Luke, the SW figure of my dreams as a child, but the thrill didn't last and only a few months later I sold off the small collection of figures/ vehicles I had. Every few years I get the itch to collect toys again like I did as a teenager, but the thrill wears off shortly thereafter because I never had the space to display them, plus I didn't want to spend more money on what amounted to some expensive decorations.

I had the same experience with the MOTU: Origins figures, but when they became harder to find at retail and they started releasing an insane amount of characters, I just lost interest. Those will be sold off as well once I can unbury them from storage. I'm certain the days of toy collecting are finally over for me, and that's okay. I don't fault anyone for collecting toys/ collectibles, because I've done it many times. I'm just at the point where it doesn't appeal to me personally any longer. For me, toy collecting isn't as interesting like it was when I was growing up and playing with them. If I still had the ability to play/ imagine like I did as a child, I would still have the toys.

Stan Solo knocked it out of the park with that figure and with all the other figures they produce in terms of capturing the spirit and look of the vintage Kenner figures.

Personally though? The slave outfit has become so fetishized that it's become almost a tired cliche in the fan world. Whether it's statues, figures, posters, or whatever of Slave Leia, or female Twileks, etc, it's become so ubiquitous that it's almost boring. Hot girls dressed as Slave Leia.... how original... :rolleyes: I'm no prude, but Star Wars at it's core was more romantic and wholesome than it was sexy. I never bought into the trend that nerds are only attracted to girls when they have some direct tie into sexualizing their favorite IP characters. When it comes to intimacy, Star Wars is the last thing on my mind. ;)

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back