New BMF coming

So who is gonna offer painting services on this bad boy?
I offer kit painting services. Visit my website (which is undergoing an overhaul) but you'll find a link there to my portfolio:
www.afxprops.com

I picked up this bad boy today, I was pleased to find it bigger than I anticipated and it really screams "paint me!", clearly designed by people knowing hobbyists would fill in the blanks and get it up to snuff.

I offer kit painting services. Visit my website (which is undergoing an overhaul) but you'll find a link there to my portfolio:
www.afxprops.com

I picked up this bad boy today, I was pleased to find it bigger than I anticipated and it really screams "paint me!", clearly designed by people knowing hobbyists would fill in the blanks and get it up to snuff.

If your Robocop helmet is any example I can't wait to see what you do with this.

Since I had to sell that Robo helmet maybe you can paint my Falcon.

My plan is to build the inner structure provided by Spacebob and add the coming resin upgrade kit, any other mods and then find someone to paint it and bam!!!!!!!!!!!!! Poor man's Master Replicas Falcon.

GF have you ever done a Falcon???

www.afxprops.com

Are you up for offering other modifications like adding side walls, cockpit and LED kits?

Are you up for offering other modifications like adding side walls, cockpit and LED kits?

Speaking of, anyone working on an LED kit for this bad boy??

Sounds like we have the upgrade kit on the way.

Spacebob provided an awesome support structure.

General Frosty can do the paint

Get an LED kit and we are all set.

Make it an LED kit for dummies. I hate dealing with lighting.

Hey there Jameth, even if you don't have an airbrush you will be able to paint this thing better than the MR falcon just using rattle cans and pastels.

The people on this forum even though they cannot give you the necessary talent, they can transfer to you the techniques of talent. By taking it in stages, and by breaking it down to steps this will be an enjoyable paint up.
Its not like painting an esb fett helmet, it will be quite simple by comparison, and you will be able to say "how the hell did I do that" like the rest of us.
Da Vinci is dead I'm afraid. Although there will always be very talented individuals who can do this for you, (and they should be applauded for there services when all else fails,) nothing, and I mean nothing, will beat doing it yourself. This one is totally doable, honestly :)

Hey there Jameth, even if you don't have an airbrush you will be able to paint this thing better than the MR falcon just using rattle cans and pastels.

The people on this forum even though they cannot give you the necessary talent, they can transfer to you the techniques of talent. By taking it in stages, and by breaking it down to steps this will be an enjoyable paint up.
Its not like painting an esb fett helmet, it will be quite simple by comparison, and you will be able to say "how the hell did I do that" like the rest of us.
Da Vinci is dead I'm afraid. Although there will always be very talented individuals who can do this for you, (and they should be applauded for there services when all else fails,) nothing, and I mean nothing, will beat doing it yourself. This one is totally doable, honestly :)
Agreed! At the same time, I do finishing work as a living so I hope at least a few guys would want to hire me.

Speaking of DIY, can anyone link a site that has a decent paint scheme tutorial?

it sounds like you know the steps... Will you be doing a step by step of your paint up?

im a quick learner, but I need to see how it's done first....:D

Totally agree with this and it kills me outsource such a great project but with two kids under 4 years old my free time is currently non-existent.

Have you thought about reducing the weight of this at by drilling holes in the frame at all. That way it wouldn't be overly heavy.

Ok here I have split the support template into three pics so they are easily printed on A4 paper,

View attachment 410321
you need to set the length of each image at 203.33mm in photoshop and print from there.

View attachment 410322
Sorry but I don’t know how else to do it as just printing them in windows only wants to fill the page.

View attachment 410323

Cut the middle one to the lines and then glue them together making sure the line in the centre is straight and the total length should then be 610mm.
The plywood should be 9mm thick and decent hardwood “engineered” type, usually with 7 layers.

View attachment 410324
Fitting the cut pieces together will need two more bits of ply 50x135x9mm and 165x70x9mm fixed where shown on the template.

View attachment 410325
A few bits of plastic will have to be removed to fit the support inside like so.

View attachment 410326

If you are not going to cut the mandibles from the hull like this...

View attachment 410327
and will just be using the support for fitting to a stand, then you may be able to do away with the long straight bit at the front of the ply support and also leave the plastic strengtheners at the front by the mandibles on the bottom, changing the ply to fit there accordingly.

View attachment 410328 Thats a bingo :)

Alright! I was going to wait on this, but I'm on holidays, and drunk, and watching the trailer over and over...

So I ordered!

alright let's do this!

i need a Falcon for my media room!

Alright! I was going to wait on this, but I'm on holidays, and drunk, and watching the trailer over and over...

So I ordered!

alright let's do this!

i need a Falcon for my media room!

Good for you. Drunk or Sober it's a fine thing to own/modify.

Yeah, that was a neat 5 seconds there of the Falcon. Very excited :( :(

I have been using something similar to these for some models and modified Hasbro toys. They work very well for that purpose.

31SlBwsn0rL_SL500_AA300_.jpg

They are inexpensive Security Camera Mounts. However they are cheaply made and strip easily. Basically you want to get them into position, tighten and then never adjust them.

Does anyone know of something similar but of good quality for the new Falcon???

I loved my MR Falcon and deeply miss it but my main complaint was I wanted to be able to put it into different flight positions, land it, etc.

Thanks

Tom

Wow... I was drunk when I wrote that that last post just before going to bed, I've woken up to a bunch of notifications :)
Hemingway famously said write drunk and edit sober so I will answer these posts after I've woken up a bit (I may be socially retarded but I do love a good discussion if its intelligent).

That camera mount looks perfect by the way Jameth, is it expensive?

Ok guys I’m awake now yay.

Firstly Junk Pilot, although it not really heavy as it is you can could defiantly cut holes in the frame after you have decided where extra bits need to go in for whatever stand you go for, quite big holes too or quite a lot of holes. I wouldn’t cut anything in front of the forward spacer if you are keeping the straight mandible bits though.

Secondly GeneralFROSTY I apologise for any inference I made about the professionals. My bs DaVinci remark didn’t mean the pros are redundant far from it, they are essential, how else could people like me learn and for people with no time at all earthdog you all are invaluable.
What I meant was painting in the old old days was all done with oil paints that took weeks to dry so they had to learn “wet on wet” painting and to say that’s difficult is an understatement but (I’m talking to the guys that don’t know now) these days its all done in layers and you don’t move on until you are happy at each stage so it can only go so wrong.

You wont be as good as the pros but I think you can get it better than the MR which is what jameth was talking about and what I was responding to. Finally on this point at the top of this page (and every single one on the rpf) it says “Craft your Fandom” which I interpret as “have a go” if you don’t smother the thing in thick paint it can always be rescued by the pros, just have a go.

And NeoRutty when I do start painting I could do a separate thread showing the stages if you like. It would be in very simple terms and quite patronizing though, if its going to be for beginners I wont know other individuals levels. Believe me I’m no pro but I get great results with technique.

e11fin26web.jpg webmyblast347.jpg my pit719s.jpg (click pics)
We can work it out together by looking at how the original was painted and by emulating those techniques (and not overdoing it), even I have not used the pastel technique but here is a shot of that exact weathering style by superjedi,

superjedi-detaiwebl.jpg
its supposed to be very forgiving for a beginner.
Think that’s it, sorry if it’s a bit wordy.

Last edited by a moderator:
www.afxprops.com

Nice work...

Sorry, but have to take issue with a couple comments (apologize if I ruffle feathers)...

I've painted both Fett helmets and Falcons.

I solidly disagree that the Falcon (finished properly) is simpler than Fett's helmet. There are far more details, techniques, paint colors, and weathering methods involved in finishing th Falcon (again, doing do properly).

That said, my second issue...

If I were to paint one for someone, I'd be looking at least $500. At least... Factor the cost of the toy, additional parts, and paying some to paint it right, and its not too far off price wise from the MR.

Pay for a proper paint job and this thing can reach near $1,000...

ZZZ To Post 001.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back