New Accurized P1 Gen 3 Cannon-Assembled Pg. 3

Hey Carl,

absolutly wonderfull and Scott & you did already some serius great work once again. A short question I have is the cannon arm not detailed on both sides? I thought at the original one it was detailed on both sides or I´m wrong?

Greetings Guido

Here's the finished print, folks. Scott had a devil of a time with a few components in the software, but he prevailed and wa-la!
My next task is to fill, sand, smooth and assemble this bad boy so I can mold it......after I finish molding the backpack.
Stay tuned....
FinalOutput.jpg.gif

Carl's right, the Magics software works with triangles, and his 3D software doesn't build with them, so he had to translate the files afterward. Not that big a deal, but some of the components were downright stubborn and I had to spend some time refining them in the computer before sending them to the printer. Can't wait to see what this thing looks like when Carl's finally done with it. If any one you need greeblies or other things printed out, let me know, I'm here to help. Check out the gallery of my outputs on my site. I can print as high as 50 micrometers in resolution (1,000 micrometers to a millimeter).

Looks good Carl. Having you and Scott working on that shows great teamwork. I'm curious - putting it back together would leave seam lines, no? How would they be eliminated?

Guys,
Don't feel too sad.....and here's why. Sculpting will never be fully replaced by 3d printers because there will never be a printer made large enough to make producing larger objects practical. There is a limit to all this. The build area on Scott's machine is roughly 9" high x 3" x 2"....which is why the cannon had to be sliced up to output it. There are some out there that are larger, but not by all that much. In man hours, material, and other costs, the cost of printing my cannon was over $700. No, that's not a typo. The biggest cost is the replacement fee for the bulb, which is astronomical in price. Those things are very bright and have a limited life to them. As for the price of the printer itself, I'll let Scott chime in here. Let's just say that you could buy several new cars for the same price.

So, as you see, it's not the most practical tool in the arsenal. It;s a very GOOD tool to have, but it is only that, a tool. Guys....don't hang up your aprons and throw away your sculpting tools just yet. It's gonna be a LOOONNNNNGGG time before 3D printing overtakes sculpting entirely.

I guess 700$ isnt all that bad. To be able to print it out perfectly in one shot. And have a master copy that can be molded MANY times. You could turn that 700$ number upside down easily with a few sales. Especially with all the cool "MODS" you have Honus doing.

Don't wanna give too much away, care to elaborate for the folks here?

Hey Carl, I was just curious about the 3-d printer thing so I started googling. The UP 3-D printer is 3 thousand bucks which seemed pretty reasonable. Youtube. Check em out. I'm still interested in sculpting but someday soon I may have a go at the computer age of 3-d printing.

Just checked it out, it does look good for the price. But the difference is, it's resolution is .02 millimeters compared with Scott's Envision printer's equivalent of 20.0 micrometers (1,000 micrometers to a millimeter). The high end of the Envision printer is 50.0 micrometers. This is the level required to print out tiny action figures and other fine detail in the industry he deals with, which is why it costs so much. There's probably other factors I'm not familiar with as well, which Scott can jump in on. This whole thing is new to me, and exciting.

Turned out fantastic. If these are going to e cast and sold, I'm sure they will be out of my price rang, but, this thread is great reference for building my own on a budget. No more staring at blurry screen caps to figure out details and such.

Well that is just freaking awesome. Won't say I didn't breathe a sigh of relief when I saw what sizes can be printed though...I don't want to learn 3d software. :p

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back