Never seen Firefly, thinking of picking it up on BR

DARTH SABER

Master Member
A friend suggested that I pick up Firefly. Ive never seen the show, so it would be a blind buy.
Anyone have any comments on the quality of the characters and story?

Last year I became a fan of Star Trek the original series (I admit the production designs and FX were cheesy, but I can forgo all that as long as the characters and stories are good....And ST does have great characters and stories.)

Does this even compare to Star Trek, or is it an entirely different type of sci-fi?

Should I pick this up?

Thanks

DS

If Firefly took place in the Star Trek world... they'd be the grunts that Enterprise fly by and never looks at. They are the real people of the universe... not polished starfleet.

To answer whether you should pick it up. I'd have to say yes. This is western in space - the free man on the frontier fighting for his right to be himself and live his life as he wants it without some government interfering and messing things up.

It's a good little run. Very entertaining. Watch them in the proper order, NOT broadcast order. I think the DVDs are in the right order.

Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

Try to go in blind, though - Seriously, if you're not sure what to expect, you'll love it all the more.

WONDERFUL series ! :thumbsup

And it has , in my opinion, some
of the BEST one liners of any TV show !

:lol

The DVDs are indeed in the right order. Firefly was a very fun series. It had a ton of potential that will, sadly, never be realized now. Still, it's well worth watching.

I'd actually advise against watching Serenity, though. While Firefly doesn't exactly finish "naturally" (IE: doesn't feel like a conclusion, per se), it still felt like a clean end. Serenity, however, answered a bunch of questions but left me hanging, really. There was much that Whedon did in that movie that seems intended to be paid off down the road.....except that's not gonna happen. Accordingly, I say skip it. Maybe if he ever decides to do a post-Serenity comic. Right now he's stuck doing comics between Firefly and Serenity (or pre-firefly).

As mentioned, it's a space western. Really. No joke. The pilot episodes has people riding on horses. The basic theory is that humanity expands into space, but it's very much a frontier existence. There's high-tech stuff, but the lower tech stuff is a bit more reliable for every-day use. Plus it's easier to come by.

I feel really guilty for not loving this series. It's all the stuff I love but I have trouble with Whedon style dialog.

Grizzled space mercenaries shouldn't talk like snarky teenagers.

Nick

I feel really guilty for not loving this series. It's all the stuff I love but I have trouble with Whedon style dialog.

Grizzled space mercenaries shouldn't talk like snarky teenagers.

Nick

Ironically it's about the only thing Whedon I do like outside of Dr Horrible. And if anybody should have loved Buffy, it was me.

As my avatar shows, I'm a fan of Firefly. :lol

I rented "Serenity" and it made me rent "Firefly". I now own both on DVD and thoroughly enjoyed both. I'd say "yes" to getting it.

Here's what did me in. The characters. I love them. Each carry their own in the show and they really feel like people you can get attached to. Great characters are the ones you miss when they're gone, and I do miss these characters like crazy.

Here's what did me in. The characters. I love them. Each carry their own in the show and they really feel like people you can get attached to. Great characters are the ones you miss when they're gone, and I do miss these characters like crazy.

Well said, and seconded.

Ironically it's about the only thing Whedon I do like outside of Dr Horrible. And if anybody should have loved Buffy, it was me.

As my avatar shows, I'm a fan of Firefly. :lol

Wait wait wait wait..........you're a fan of Firefly??? :lol

Me too, love it. Curse your sudden but enevitble betrayal!

Get the DVD set....watch them all...then go buy Serenity.

After it is all over and done, you`ll want more like the rest of us.

Trust me on this.

Amen to that. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Big yes to that! I saw Serenity in the theater, had never seen firefly, bought the series just because I loved Serenity...............loved the series just as much. You can't go wrong. :)

OK, I bought it...Watched the first 2 part episode...LOVED IT!

Reminded of one of my all time favorite westerns - John Ford's "Stagecoach".

Thanks for the info!

DS

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back