Netflix - Dark props

I realize this is not as exciting as a Balance Pipe, but here are the final two Samsonites in hand:

0gHW9GS.jpg

Got a 4K source and working on some new reference shots of the machine.

Good job! What are your plans on the machine?
Right now I'm still in the process of getting a technical drawing done. The blueprints shown in the show are actually to scale, so I am trying to reconstruct them based on scaling to the measurements that are visible. First step will probably be getting the wooden box built. Machine could take a few years. If I went with brass for the top, I'm assuming it would be waterjet cut and then laser engraved. No idea what that would cost, but it seems like the details are too fine for 3D printing.

Are you still going to attempt the door in clay? Let me know if you need a 4K reference shot.

Wow, that sounds really promising! I'm excited to follow you progress!
If it doesn't have to be metal, SLA or Lasersynthered Printing would shure be an option, I'd reckon.

If you have one, that'd be great!! I have to finish some projects before, but I still really want to do the door!

Ok, no worries, I will grab a few when I finish getting the 4K episodes. And I will look up those printing methods, that sounds cool!

Anyone recognize this? The Stranger's Cesium container. Looks like it's a found item of some kind, but not sure where I should start looking.

DARK.S01E09.Everything.Is.Now.2160p.NF.WEBRip.DDP5.1.x264-NTb.mkv_snapshot_50.46_[2018.02.16_23..jpg
DARK.S01E10.Alpha.And.Omega.2160p.NF.WEBRip.DDP5.1.x264-NTb.mkv_snapshot_19.25_[2018.02.17_22.14.jpg
DARK.S01E10.Alpha.And.Omega.2160p.NF.WEBRip.DDP5.1.x264-NTb.mkv_snapshot_19.28_[2018.02.17_22.15.jpg

Found a match for the left two meters on the machine:

s-l1600 (1).jpg

They are from a screw in testing kit with different ammeter ranges. The machine in the show has a different meter set in each of the two hero props, and a third variation in the CGI version:

ammeter comparison.jpg

Mate, outstanding job! How in heaven do locate these!?
Thanks! Mainly I do a lot of searching through google images and regional ebay listings. Someone on reddit found the meter type/era, which was great because I had already come close to giving up after looking at hundreds of ammeters. And of course the Samsonites, I had to buy a few before I realized what was the perfect one.

This prop has just really captured my imagination! I know it will be both difficult and expensive to try to do it justice, but it's a lot of fun working on it.

Thought I'd give the "machine" a shot, a good spare-time challenge. Following your lead egosheep, I worked through photocorrecting some of the image captures from the series and also overlaid blueprints into my modeling software to get accurate scaling and proportion. Anyways, a long way to go, but it's a start for a printable or otherwise machinable assembly (I would still hope for actual gauges and switches). The engraving work can be 3d printed decently, if even for a prototype, but actual engraving/laser/etc onto brass stock would be so much more impressive IMHO. Just wish there were more references to the internal gearing and the upper right (open area) machine section. Maybe next season lol...

Anyways, a start:

Thought I'd give the "machine" a shot, a good spare-time challenge. Following your lead egosheep, I worked through photocorrecting some of the image captures from the series and also overlaid blueprints into my modeling software to get accurate scaling and proportion. Anyways, a long way to go, but it's a start for a printable or otherwise machinable assembly (I would still hope for actual gauges and switches). The engraving work can be 3d printed decently, if even for a prototype, but actual engraving/laser/etc onto brass stock would be so much more impressive IMHO. Just wish there were more references to the internal gearing and the upper right (open area) machine section. Maybe next season lol...

Anyways, a start:
https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/4c1b/98jd28fznf84jsq4g.jpg
Wow, this is fantastic! It makes me really happy to see someone else working on it. If you need any 4K reference shots, or have any other questions let me know, I'm always ready to geek out about this. One thing that I think may have to be printed is the right side gauges. I have searched high and low and still can't find something that's right. I think it may work to use a real ammeter and have a 3D printed cover to get the visual right.

The lower two pictures look like vintage brass oilers for guns or for motorcycles.
I will look into that, thank you! In the meantime I was able to cobble together a few more references. It's a glass vial with a partial aluminum surround and knurled aluminum ends. Which fits into the container which screws apart.
cesium details.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back