Nerds! What are you reading?

I’m about half way through A Kind of Magic: The Making of the original Highlander. Super nerdy but I like to immerse myself in the lore of my prop projects. I acquired a stunt Highlander 1 hilt & guard so I can forge a katana.

I learned a tremendous amount of how a story goes from an authors idea to a full fledged movie. I can’t believe how many hands get to change the original story to please audiences ($$$)

2CC84C43-EA62-47CA-A4C0-9081BFA4AC21.jpeg

I'm actually rereading my husband's novels at the moment. I commissioned one of my favorite podcasts to cover them over several episodes, so I'm refamiliarizing myself with the material so I can help if she forgets details. Also... I just think they're damned good. :)

Ashes of My Youth, a half fiction/half true crime novel written by Nathan Ward, a guy I used to work with. He's written a few solid nonfiction books, but this was his debut novel. Damn good one, too.

Steinbeck To a God Unknown. Weird one for him. His second novel and not the old boy's finest hour. Parts better than the whole, but still worth a read.

Completely changed lanes to Kinky Friedman's Mile High Club, one of his goofy mysteries featuring himself as the PI. Quirky characters but not much else going on.

Now about 100 pages into Joe Lansdale's Red Devil, a "Hap and Leonard" mystery. My first try on this series, and so far there are too many one-liners (not all detectives are standup comics), but the story is quite good and the author has an easy style. Fingers crossed that it stays focused.

Eight Men Out about the Chicago White Sox throwing the 1919 World Series for money they never got. Idiots. Very interesting, multilayered story. The film adaptation didn't do it justice.

An Agatha Christie Poirot mystery that went from 0 to 60 when the detective finally arrived. Up to that point I kept thinking, "come one, lady, move it along, daylight's wasting!" Readers don't need 50 pages of people going for walks and drinking tea.

Shakespeare Henry V. Excellent! Solid from beginning to end.

Now reading Traveller by Richard Adams, the guy who wrote Watership Down. It's the story of Robert E. Lee told by his horse, Traveller, so it's like Gone with the Wind told by Mister Ed. Not half bad.

Just finished Dune - my first time reading it. I am so stoked for the movie!

Now reading Dune: Messiah, the second installment. Has a much darker and contentious tone than the original, but an interesting continuation of the Dune universe so far…

Sean

This is my current read. Excellent book about a specific Op HERRICK tour by the Welsh Guards that ended up being extremely tough, with many issues of the UK's Afghan effort being highlighted to the extreme.

Definite 8/10 and will be interesting to anyone with a hint of interest in military non-fiction
IMG_20211013_082807.jpg

Just finished Dune - my first time reading it. I am so stoked for the movie!

Now reading Dune: Messiah, the second installment. Has a much darker and contentious tone than the original, but an interesting continuation of the Dune universe so far…

Sean
I’m half way through Messiah. Agreed on the tone, a much harder read than the first but I like the direction Herbert went.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back