Nerds! What are you reading?

I'm starting to get the hang of it.

I used to be an avid reader... seems a common story - I used to read through piles of books... then the internet... and work... and netflix... and work... and my phone and sudoku (so no bathroom time)

Dune is my getting back into this whole thing.

I actually can't remember the last time I sat down and read something fictional or what it was.

Watching too much RLM....:lol

I used to read more than I watched television. Unfortunately you tend to burn through the best thats out there and then loose interest and patience with those authors who copy the trend setters. And you defintely go through phases.I went sci fi, fantasy, horror, adventures, thrillers, crime and then cherry picked from everywhere if the author was highly rated. But there are some series that I really do like and I have read for years (decades even).
The Lucas Davenport (Prey) series- John Sandford - If you like a "cop" novel where the criminal(s) also get to put their "unique" POV in the story. The variety is endless, the quality is strong . Twenty seven and counting. Just starting "Extreme Prey". Its been great to follow Lucas through his entire career to date.
The Laundry series -Charles Stross. Just finished "The Delerium Brief". Which managed to tie up a large number of threads and characters from the older stories so start at the beginning. I cannot praise the ideas and concepts used in this series enough and each novel has a certain character in its self. "Bob" has the unique everyman voice of somebody caught up in extraordinary other worldly events.
The Years Best Sci fi- Gardner Dozois - Just ordered the thirty fourth.Huge compilation of the best short story sci fi published in the previous year. Over the last few years certain themes have come to dominate the stories as the future has become more complex and "predictable" but there are still many memorable gems amoungst them. Plus it'll take you a month to read at the least.
The Rivers of London- Ben Aaronovitch. Again a "cop" fantasy style novel series but with a supernatural twist set around London and dealing with contemporay Gods. Very like Neil Gaimans "Neverwhere" which I often reread. Great cast of characters but Peters narration is constantly funny and entertaining. "Harry Potter " verses the Met for the very much more grown ups.
I usually get through at least two books a week, depends what I am doing. Finished off the "Anno Dracula" series by Kim Newman which is a great alternate history lesson. I really liked "The Hound of the D'Urbervilles. And I'm rereading "The Kane" stories (Karl Edward Wagner), which I last did some thirty years ago, they were at the bottom of yet another box of paperbacks I dug out to sort for the charity shops, along with some Barry B Longyear circusworld novels.

Any (audio)book by Eckhart Tolle would catch my attention (psychology meets spirituality),although I'm spending more time on crafting and youtube piano tutorials these days than I do on reading.Also,I found the 4 part Chinese classic "Journey to the West" entertaining so far.Occasionally reading and working my way through part 2 at the moment.

Reading Writer, Sailor, Soldier, Spy in which military historian Nicholas Reynolds tries to convince readers that Ernest Hemingway collected intelligence for the Russkies for most of his adult life. So far, it's as silly as it sounds.

Before that I buzzed through T.C. Boyle's East Is East. He's always a blast.

My favorite genre to read is rock-n-roll biographies. I've pretty much read them all (the ones that interest me anyways). I love reading about 60s, 70s and 80s debauchery. Life on the road, the women, the booze, the drugs--I find that stuff just fascinating. I'm not a musician myself, so the ones that are more about the music itself and their influences don't really hold my interest. I like the juicy stuff.

Of all the hundreds that I have read, I don't think any of them can hold a candle to Motley Crue's The Dirt. That book is the best page-turner I have ever read. My God, the stuff those guys did is beyond legendary when it comes to decadence. These guys put ancient Rome to shame. Whether you like their music or not, if you want something that will make your jaw drop, this is the book for it!

I'm working through Kim Stanley Robinson's books. Reread the Mars trilogy (Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars), then I read 2312, and now I'm on Aurora. I like the universe he's created, though he gets bogged down in his fictional scientific principals sometimes. I find his ideas of how we might build new societies on other planets really fascinating.

I get a lot more reading done with ebooks than with paperbacks these days. Checking a book out from the library always makes me feel rushed and I prefer to read at my own pace.

I don't know The Stones did some pretty effed up chit, but The Dirt is now on my reading list.

Getting ready to start Pettys auto bio have you read that one?

Of all the hundreds that I have read, I don't think any of them can hold a candle to Motley Crue's The Dirt.!

I get a lot more reading done with ebooks than with paperbacks these days. Checking a book out from the library always makes me feel rushed and I prefer to read at my own pace.

I completely gave up on paper books years ago. I can carry around my entire book collection on my tablet with tons of room to spare. I don't have to build any more bookshelves. I don't have to go to bookstores. It's win-win.

I took on a much bigger commute at the start of the year, so I've had 7 months worth of audio books so far.

Earlier reading encompassed a fair amount of standard stuff - Hobbit, LOTR, Harry Potter, Dark Materials etc. A lot of fantasy etc.

Then moved onto to science fiction, mostly through the lens of Warhammer novels - of which I own a hefty amount. Among the best are the Dan Abnett novels, Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies, and Gaunts Ghosts, some awesome Space Marine novels and the later Horus Heresy series (about 30 odd books and counting) - Aaron Dembski Bowden is a fantastic author I found through warhammer.

But audio books have kind of revolutionised things for me. I've picked up physical books to read lately and found that my own imagination is lacking a little when I'm so used to having the voices fully fleshed out for me. It's surreal.

Audio books I've listened to this year:

American Gods - Neil Gaiman (just awesome as a first listen. Great voices (which have been replaced by the TV versions now...I'm so malleable) and amazing story telling. Strange and wonderful.

Hyperion - Dan Simmons - a bit of a harder listen, but the more I listened, the more engrossed in the world I got. Ended up really feeling connected to the many characters. Really in depth universe building and some great ideas and use of poetry.

The Lies of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch - this is set not on earth, but thats it for the sci fi. Its mostly about thievery, and brilliant characters. An eclectic voice sells some really cool victorian england themed stuff. Great word play and a dense plot.

Columbus Day - Craig Alanson - a bit lighter. Soft Sci Fi with more action and simpler ideas, but still cool and enjoyable, with more comedy.

The fall of Hyperion - Dan Simmons - I thought Id try my first sequel. I didn't warm up to it as quickly unfortunately. The overall mystery was just a bit too abstract even though it all comes together in a very imaginative way.

And then, even before I've finished the third book, I found one of the best sets of books I've ever read. I absolutely adore these books and I'm not quite sure why - except it makes me feel like I am a young reader again, discovering the joy of books and story? They aren't particularly high brow or doing anything super new, but I'm in love with them.

Red Rising - Pierce Brown - what a phenomenal opening shot for a book. Taking a familiar feeling idea, but executing it in an exciting and interesting way with almost effortless world building. It uses cliches without feeling like it, and hits emotional notes that I just didn't expect it to be able to. The irish voice as the storyteller is inspired, and theres tons of individual recognisable voices.

Golden Son - Pierce Brown - an awesome expansion on book one. Increases the scale while still keeping the story personal and powerful. The plot twists quickly and in unexpected directions. It uses the rollercoaster method to fantastic effect.

Morning Star - Pierce Brown (about 1/2 through this one at the moment, with 12 hours left to go. WIll review later.

These three books have me absolutely howling for a TV series or a film based on them. I NEED to see them come to life. Imagine Game of Thrones, in space, with an underdog story and a heroes journey, mixed with a keen insight into societal imbalances and never relying on the "good vs evil" easy way out.

Hello everyone, Wow, there is something for everyone in here. A very eclectic group we are. BTW, I finished Ready Player One and it was very good, I am excited about the upcoming movie.

If anyone is looking for a really large series to get started on and you like military science fiction epic space operas, I can recommend the following:
1. The Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold, with 30 novels and short stories in the series you will be reading for some time and pushing through the first two or three books to get to Barrayar was hard for me; however, these first few books are essential to understand the motivations of some of the most important characters. Once you hit Barrayar, the series takes off like a rocket ship and is one hell of a ride. I hear a lot of people say that they wish this or some other series would get a Game of Thrones style TV adaptation. While I would like to see many of my favorite series on the little screen, The Vorkosigan sage by far is my most wanted series to get the “Game of Thrones treatment”. It is my all-time favorite series.

2. The Lost Fleet Series by John G. Hemry under the pen name Jack Campbell, the whole series is broken into 5 periods and is still expanding with 16 novels so far. Some hard Scfi here with good character development and world building.

I have a ton of other series that I truly love, Undying Mercenaries, Star Force, The Frontiers Saga, OMW, the Expanse, The Frontlines, etc… but these two are my favorites.

NeoRutty, even on fourth re-reading of Dune I still have trouble with some of the paragraphs, now days its due to confusion on my part with DUNE and the other house books, but I understand exactly what you are saying. Stick with it…

Robert Werden, I will give your book a shot and let you know what I think about it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Firesprite, Love me some goodreads. Without it, I would never be able to keep what I have read and what I want to read in any semblance of order. Without physical books, I get really confused. I also like the recommendation section of goodreads.

Cephus, Thrawn was amazing, I like Zahn’s writing.

Dessa, I have not read the Manga but I love the anime series of Attack on Titan, I was ok with the two movies but like Space Battleship Yamato, I wanted the anime series in a live action version not some director’s excuse to use their artistic license. This is what scares me about the rumors of a live action Robotech.

MrSouthpaw, I have been ignoring the CRLs and am almost done with my Mandalorian cosplay for DragonCon in 25 days…

CutThumb, I just started We are Legion “Bob” and I love it. It was one of the recommended titles from Goodreads based on my interests.

CT1138, I started at the very beginning based on the chronological order of the EU on Wookieepedia with Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void and made it all the way to the Clone Wars. I did skip some of the non-novels. Since then I jumped around based on recommendations from friends. The last Star Wars book I read was Catalyst which was great and fit perfectly with Rogue One. I love the Old Republic books and I would rate my top five EU books of what I have read as follows:
1. Darth Bane (the trilogy Path of Destruction, Rule of Two, and Dynasty of Evil)
2. Darth Plagueis (because, well, its Plagueis)
3. The Old Republic: Revan (because finding who else touched so many factions and live in the SW universe?)
4. The Thrawn Trilogy (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command)
5. Red Harvest (because it is such a different approach to the SW universe)
I will admit that I have not read aftermath yet.

Laspector, Motley Crue’s exploits are truly legendary.

Fawbish, I know exactly what you saying about audio books. I really enjoy the full cast ones such as World War Z. Actually hearing Alan Alda swear like a sailor is mind blowing for someone who grew up seeing him in MASH. But the full cast stories and certainly one in which there are 44 people reading such as WWZ is just a lot of fun.

The Hyperion Cantos is actually in my top 5 best series lf all time. I did not expect to like it nearly as much as I did and each half of the series Hyperion vs Endymion are oddly separate but interlaced. Once I finished The Rise of Endymion, I wanted more but knew that the series ended as it did. I actually wish I could selectively delete my memory of reading this series, just so I can re-read it and enjoy the surprises and have the drive to the answers to the questions I develop throughout the series. Dan Simmons truly created a masterpiece with The Hyperion Cantos. The audio books are amazing as well.

I have added Pierce Brown’s trilogy to my reading list based on your recommendations. BTW according to some information I have found in February 2014, Universal Pictures secured the rights for a film adaptation, to be directed by Marc Forster. Not sure where the project is or if it is still being developed. Kind of dropped off the radar like the Scalzi OMW/ SyFy series that I have been salivating over since its announcement. Also, Bradly Cooper is still trying to bring the Hyperion Cantos to SyFy as a Mini Series, Apparently is as crazy about the series as I am.

One of my favorite older movies is "The Third Man" with Joseph Cotten and Orson Welles. I recently picked up a dirt cheap copy of "In Search of The Third Man" by Charles Drazin. Lots of good stories about shooting the film in post WWII Vienna which was still a bombed out mess in 1948. A solid read if you're a fan of the movie or anyone who's generally interested in the machinations of Europe trying to get back to normal after the war.

I recently watched and enjoyed the movie "Arrival" which led me to picking up "Stories of Your Life and Others" by Ted Chiang, a collection of shorts. I've only just started it, though.

Also recently picked up a copy of an amazing coffee table book called "The Art of the Hollywood Backdrop" which is about the talented artists who paint the giant, beautiful, cyclorama paintings for studio sets. I was surprised to find it's a practice still very much in use now in the digital age.

And I've been meaning to read "Ready Player One" for a long time so that's next on my list.

I've tried a few times to get into Dune without much success. But I'll keep trying!

So I just finished all three of the Bobiverse books, We are Legion, For We are Many, and All These Worlds by Dennis E. Taylor. I loved this series, the humor is great and the story is a lot of fun. Highly recommend it. I am now moving on to the Expeditionary Force series by Craig Alanson and the first hour into book one (Columbus Day) has had me double over with laughter so many times that I had to pause the audiobook and take a breath. If this is indicative of the series, I expect this to be a blast.

I need to check my major author's web sites because I think there have been a few new releases that I need to pick up so all this along with those books I mentioned in my previous post should keep me occupied till after DragonCon.

I finished the first three novels and the one novella from Craig Alanson's Expeditionary Force:
I really liked this series and I must say that it has been extremely enjoyable. Very funny, and the story is fun as well. Book one Columbus Day was funny and a blast. Book two, Spec Ops and book three Paradise got deeper into the origins of the races and characters and answered many questions. Both continued the level of humor as the first book. The Novella, Trouble in Paradise was an interesting story about the exploits of some lesser characters and again Alanson made the story quite enjoyable. The fourth book, Black Ops has been out since late May and I am waiting for the Audiobook.

I did check some of my Authors websites and managed to grab the Audiobook for Rebellion book 4 of part two of the Frontiers Saga by Ryk Brown and I just started it. As soon as Balance book 5 is available as an audiobook, I will grab it. I have not read any of the prequel Netcast books from Ryk Brown but I figure I will hit them at some point.

I also grabbed Strange Dogs which is another novella set in the Expanse universe of James S A Corey. And I still need to start David VanDyke's Stellar Conquest series which is a continuation of the Plague Wars. So that's what I am reading at this time.

Finished my read-through of the Gunslinger, and then learned from my 17 year old niece that one of her best friends just published a novel.

Naturally, wanting to be a supportive aunt and also being an author who enjoys supporting young writers, I had her give me the details on it. It's called Cherry Pits and it reminds me a bit of the Lovely Bones in that it is from the perspective of a girl who has been murdered piecing together the events that led up to her death. It's a little rough in places, but the author has a rather lyrical turn of phrase that I enjoy. I think the kid's got talent and great potential. :)

Going to start Ready Player One soon. Finishing up the Warhammer 40k Word Bearers Omnibus now. Still have the last two novels in the Metro 2033 trilogy to get through as well.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back