Nerds! What are you reading?

Getting my Blade Runner on lately. Picked up all three volumes of Blade Runner 2019. Following the events of the film a Blade Runner named Ash is sent to investigate the kidnapping of a rich industrialist's wife and daughter, potentially at the hand of Replicants.

Pre-ordered the first volume of the sequel series due out in July, called Blade Runner 2029 and set ten years after the original, follows the same character Ash, hunting for Replicants, but for a new purpose now.

Finally we have volume one of Blade Runner: Origins coming out in August. Set in 2009, ten years before the events of the movie. It involves the rise of the Tyrell Corporation, the first migration to the Off-World Colonies, the inception of the Blade Runner unit and the first Blade Runner, LAPD Detective Cal Moreau.

With Aliens Fireteam on the horizon I also pre-ordered the two upcoming hardback omnibus releases of Aliens: The Original Years, collecting the entire runs of the first Aliens graphic novels in one massive set. There is also a new Predator omnibus on the horizon as well I will likely get.

The last thing I read was Ready Player Two by Ernest Cline. I'm going to read the graphic novel extension for the film A Girl Who Walks Home Alone. As for after that, I am considering the Alien: Isolation novel adaptation by Keith R. A. DeCandido.

Black Science Volume 3: A Brief Moment of Clarity by Remender, Scalera & Dinisio. Read everything prior as it came out, somehow never finished. The conclusion of an excellent series about Grant McKay a scientist who creates a device that enables people to travel through infinite alternate universes. Would make an amazing live action or anime series.

Devolution by Max Brooks, author of World War Z. Just started...not sure how I feel about it yet.

Next will be re-reading Dune, it's been too long. One of my favorites.

I’ve been reading a lot of Sherlock Holmes and Solar Pons right now.

My publisher has just asked me to be the editor of a new series of Sherlock Holmes books that will be published in 2022, so I’ll be doing a lot more reading over the next few months.

Last edited:
I’ve been reading a lot of Sherlock Holmes and Solar Pons right now.

My publisher has just asked me to be the editor of a new series of Sherlock Holmes books that will be published in 2022, so I’ll be doing a lot more reading over the next few months.
OG Sherlock is a real joy to read.

I'm doing a full Wheel of Time reread in prep for the upcoming tv show, despite my vaaaaaast TBR pile.

Just finished reading a somewhat short sci-fi series called The Clockwork Chimera dealing with space & time travel as well as rebuilding life after an alien attack and AI. I've started a re-read of The Wheel of Time as well since the show will be sometime this year (and also making a replica of the Ruby Dagger Matt has that was briefly shown in one of the trailers lol)

I've been getting caught up on the last couple novels in Seanan McGuire's October Daye books. As a fan of both McGuire and Jim Butcher, I love seeing the very different spins on magic and the fae presented by the two series.

I've gone back and started re-reading Battle Royale, the new Remastered edition featuring additional content, because I have had a hankering to watch the movies again.

On the comic front I just watched Invincible on Amazon Prime and simply cannot wait for season 2. I tracked down the three compendiums of the series on ebay (for a fairly heft price I might add) and plan on bingeing on that.

Also with the recent death of Kentaro Miura, his Berserk Deluxe editions have been price cut in half and I've mass purchased the seven available volumes and pre-ordered eight and nine while the getting is good. I suspect with his recent death the price of these are going to spike on the next printing. They are also becoming really hard to find as people are learning about the series with news of his death and are selling out quickly on Amazon. I don't think you can even find the first three volumes on Amazon at all any more.

Just finished The 7 1/2 deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle. A very complex book where a man has eight days to solve a murder, each day resets and he’s in the body of a different host, and some of them get murdered as well. The more the days go on, the more he loses himself to his hosts. The ending was not what I expected.

I‘m now spending my time reading submissions for the Sherlock Holmes book I’m currently editing.

Just finished A Princess of Mars and I’m now on too 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea!
I love the movie 20,000 Leagues and while I appreciate the novel for being the classic that it is, I found it extremely boring. Half of it seems more like a marine biology textbook than a novel.

I've been on a David Morrell kick for the last year, reading all of his novels. Right now I'm midway through Desperate Measures.

I love the movie 20,000 Leagues and while I appreciate the novel for being the classic that it is, I found it extremely boring. Half of it seems more like a marine biology textbook than a novel.
I think I’m enjoying it most because I’m listening to it as an audio book, and going right from John Carter which got a little grating at times (often because of an aimless plot) it has been a decent experience so far. That said I don’t know how far along I am so maybe that’ll change

I don't have a lot of time to read for pleasure, considering all the beta reading I have to do, but I just finished re-reading one of my own books, then it's back to Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir.

Just finished reading I Am C-3PO by Anthony Daniels.

His BTS stories are very interesting. He is one of the few people who can lend their perspective across the entire Skywalker saga.

He really developed an attachment and ownership his character…one that reads a bit concerning at times.

A decent read.

On audio, I’m wrapping up Austin Klein’s trilogy of Steal Like an Artist, Show Your Work, and Keep Going. Some good stuff for any creative who makes stuff.

Sean

Yeah, Verne is very much into the science, which probably was new info at the time. Read Journey to the Center of the Earth last summer and it was as much a geology lecture as it was a novel. Some fun stuff in it, but long periods of snooze as well.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back