Need To Know What The Best Type Of Latex To Use To Cover A Wetsuit?

Welllll. if it anything like the Mr I suit.... which idk caus eiv never wore one. but i think its more elastic if thats spelled correctly. anyways. typically you would useeeee if i can find it. RD 407 thats what most would use.. but again like i said above idk if that would work on a more elastic material. Gl.

Number one, North Fl Hunter, your pic brings back a lot of good memories. Now to business. Wetsuits are usually neoprene foam. Latex will not bond well to this. I would suggest using something to create a mechanical and chemical bond. One method would be to cover the suit in high quality rubber cement (where a respirator and use good ventilation). While that is wet, embed a thin layer of rolled medical cotton, not cotton balls, so that the side facing the cement is soaked into the cement, and the other is untouched and and fluffy. Now apply the latex to the white uncemented outer side. You can use any latex from balloon rubber to slip latex. Slip with be stiffer, and and balloon with dry faster as it is thinner. Balloon is also stretchier. Then you can build up your latex layers to cover the cottony texture of the first layer. Should work alright. Neoprene is tricky.

I hope that helped.

Cheers :D

You would be better off with a spandex base suit. I am not sure about the neoprene. Wearing a wet suit all night is gonna be EXTREMELY hot. You better have plenty of water. Sorry, just saying.

doesnt matter what the base is. if you are coating the thing in latex you are making a rubber cocoon around it. it will be hot no matter what since it will not breath.

and you are in florida!!! wow, drink a lot of water bud!!!!, because of my size i couldnt find a mr. incredible suit for my predator build so i use a wet suit too and ohh boy i sweat!! lol... i used a latex from Michaels craft store and coated it few times... good luck and post pics of your progress ok...

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:49]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:50]

Thanks a million for the detailed knowledge Effects! I happen to score a Mr I suit and I'm charging forward on it at 100mph, so I'll try the wetsuit next go around.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back