Shadowsofink

I found myself inspired by Adam Savage building The Samaritan, and wanted to machine a gun-like object myself. However I'm not a machinist, and have no access to a machine shop. So I thought how about I design and build a gun for 3D printing, AS IF I were machining it? I chose Mal's gun, as it's one of my favorite props ever.

The Goal: Make a functional cap gun prop that looks, feels, and is as accurate as possible. But design it so that it can be fully dismantled like a real gun.

Obviously I need as much reference as I can find for the Hero Prop. But also I need as much as I can for the base gun Taurus Model 85, as I want the mechanics of the gun to work as close to the original as possible.

What I have so far:
Some issues: First, I can't be 100% sure how accurate castings of the Hero Prop can be as far as a mechanical reference. Second, NONE of the references I can find have a scale attached to them. And while I can sort of work it out in very roundabout ways (and have done for now as I slowly build the model in Blender) I'd really like to find something definitive.

Ideally I'd like to have some orthographic blueprints of the Taurus Model 85 (obviously unlikely) with a scale attached to them. Or if anyone HAS a Taurus Model 85, willing to dismantle it, and send me needed pictures with measurements or scale, that would work too.

Given the disassembly guide I can probably work out the mechanics, but any help in that area would be greatly appreciated.

My main hope for the final result will be a gun that looks like a real machined gun. More "real" than the actual Hero Prop in some ways. As I want to more seamlessly integrate the "base gun" parts with the "prop gun" parts.

Once I'm done, I'm likely just going to release the files for free with an assembly guide.

Kurtyboy has a full-metal 'model 47A' Firefly Mal gun by Badger which is apparently the most accurate copy ever made so maybe ask him for any dimensions you are missing on the exterior side of things?

Last edited:
That vector drawing could be the work of Bill Doran of Punished Props. He offered the plans for free, and even made a build video. If this is his drawing, you should be able to print it out at 100% and have a reasonable reference point, at least for external features.

There's a couple videos on YouTube that show the screen-used pistol base & pieces that were added. May help you get an idea of how things for together as well.

That vector drawing could be the work of Bill Doran of Punished Props. He offered the plans for free, and even made a build video. If this is his drawing, you should be able to print it out at 100% and have a reasonable reference point, at least for external features.
Oooh, that template is excellent. Way better than I had. Now if I can find something like this for the interior components.

(Also, don't need to print anything out with 3D modeling lol.)

Y'all need this one reference picture. As I did...

Attachments

• Colour-Reference.jpg
    Colour-Reference.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 117

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back